Kitchen Island?

Hi guys,

So we are looking at doing some light renos to the newly acquired PPOR.
One of the things we are considering is adding a kitchen island.
The kitchen is quite big but we are not sure its is big enough for adding an island and I wanted to pick your brain on this.
Below is the floorplan with the dimensions.

The proposed island as drawn on the plan would be 55cm x 120cm, leaving about 85cm-90cm on each side (left, right, up and down) of the island.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you do it?
Too small? Too little space around the island?

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Cheers

Hi guys,

The kitchen is quite big but we are not sure its is big enough for adding an island and I wanted to pick your brain on this.

The proposed island as drawn on the plan would be 55cm x 120cm, leaving about 85cm-90cm on each side (left, right, up and down) of the island.

Cheers

you would have to screw it down to the floor with those measurements ,also clearances are a bit of an issue

Hi guys,

Cheers

I'm not sure if I would use the words quite big to describe your kitchen. The additional storage can be quite good.

I would remove the "return" that juts into the room, and put a larger and longer island running the other way.

We have a small kitchen and once the dishwasher door is open I cannot walk past it. It is not ideal, but was the best use for the space at the time. We have about 800mm between kitchen and island, and another approx 800mm between bench and pantry cupboards. It works well for one or two, but when we had three teenage boys in there as well... :eek::eek::eek:

Here is a photo -

To the right hand side of the photo is a wall of cupboards, and I carry laundry baskets through this corridor (or take them through the dining room). If it was any narrower I'd be scraping my knuckles. Hubby and I can work in the 800mm(ish) between sink, micro, oven and bench but if I had a wider room, it would have been better. The whole of the island is nine large drawers and everything goes in there.

I'm thinking if you ditch the return you could do similar and you'd probably have a bit more than 800mm either side. Our island is narrower than many, but works well and many times we line up food dishes and people walk down either side choosing their food.

Back