Is this quote ok?

Just received a quote from my partner's uncle for $750 to rewire my kitchen.
Does this seem like a decent price?

Work includes:
-Disconnect old oven connection
-Run new connections for oven/cooktop.
-Install separate circuit breakers for oven/cooktop
-Rewire existing GPO and adding two GPO's inside the microwave/fan cabinet
-Rewire/Replace the entire fuse box

Regards,
David

Sounds pretty reasonable to me - if anything, on the cheap side of the range of possible prices. Thanks, Uncle! :cool:

What about all the old power points and lights switches in the unit?

One of the basic things we do when renovating a unit is replace all the light switches and power points in the unit and also put in a new circuit /fuse box with switch fuses and safety switch.

As far as cost go we install the power points and light switches and I get my electrician to check when he installs the new fuse box. Costs for labour $150. Cost for power points, about $10 each with light switches a bit cheaper than that. Cost for new fuse box about $110. So all up about $550.

Cheers

All the existing circuits will be left as they are pretty much.
So that includes power, lights and hot water.

All the light switches and GPO's in the other rooms will be the same, with a few additional GPO's in the lounge having been added. But apart from that, only the kitchen is going to have the major electrical work done.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

I am just suggesting that you consider replacing the light switches and GPO's in the unit.

Have a good look at the one's currently installed. I would be surprised if they are no longer white but rather a very dirty light beige as they tend to discoulor with age.

Further if you are putting in additional GPO's and then have a mix of old and new the old will look even tattier. Also, by replacing the single GPO's with doubles you upgrade the services, the wiring can generally take the extra load.

Cheers

I just paid $1208 to have a new safety switchboard installed, a wire replaced and a new 15 amp wire for the new airconditioner. Labour was at $62 ph. I was lucky to find an electrician to do the job!!!

Chris

I am just suggesting that you consider replacing the light switches and GPO's in the unit.

Have a good look at the one's currently installed. I would be surprised if they are no longer white but rather a very dirty light beige as they tend to discoulor with age.

Further if you are putting in additional GPO's and then have a mix of old and new the old will look even tattier. Also, by replacing the single GPO's with doubles you upgrade the services, the wiring can generally take the extra load.

Cheers

Yeah, the older outlets are a little off coloured. My plan originally was to swap all the GPO's to double heads but when I was trying to swap them over with new ones, there was very little slack that I could play with to make swapping it an easy job. (ie, after unscrewing, the outlet would only come out about 2cm :mad: )

Chrispy, thanks for that figure. At least it gives me an idea of what to expect. :)

I hate to be the proverbial "fly in the ointment" but dont you have to be a licenced electrician to play around with 240v electrical wiring? Even changing single GPO to doubles is a very easy task but still has to be performed by a licenced electrician?

There may be insurance problems in the event of a fire, and even worse if the property is rented out and a tenant is shocked etc...
Correct me if im wrong...I can handle it:D

Boods

I hate to be the proverbial "fly in the ointment" but dont you have to be a licenced electrician to play around with 240v electrical wiring? Even changing single GPO to doubles is a very easy task but still has to be performed by a licenced electrician?

There may be insurance problems in the event of a fire, and even worse if the property is rented out and a tenant is shocked etc...
Correct me if im wrong...I can handle it:D

Boods

I'd love to correct :p you but alas i believe you are very correct :)

If he's doing that work and replacing the complete meter box and installing new circuit beakers and switches etc. (which he should if he's replacing the meter box, you don't just replace the box, especially in an older house) Sounds like a steal.

Also, if he is replacing the meter box and everything in it. He will need whats called a D & R. Its a disconnect/reconnect of the incoming mains from the electricity authority's point of attachment. The authority does it (and charges for it) unless he has a special licence to do it which is not common.

If he doesnt need a D & R he's probably not replacing the whole meter box and everything in it and it looks like he isnt for that price. Or he's doing it live which isn't common either.

You should check.

Just received a quote from my partner's uncle for $750 to rewire my kitchen.
Does this seem like a decent price?

Work includes:
-Disconnect old oven connection
-Run new connections for oven/cooktop.
-Install separate circuit breakers for oven/cooktop
-Rewire existing GPO and adding two GPO's inside the microwave/fan cabinet
-Rewire/Replace the entire fuse box

Regards,
David

Hi Evand

Generally with units there is a central meter box where the meters and the main switches for each unit are located. Then in each unit you have a sub board which again has a master switch and then all the sub circuits.

It would only be this sub board that is being replaced and can be done simply by turning off the main switch for the unit in the central power room.

Cheers

Back