Is this typical of RE's is SE Qld and their fees?

I'm selling a townhouse in Southport.

The agent I have approached ahs the standard 5% for the first $18,000, thereafter, 2.5%.

They are also trying to sell me an advertising package for about $5000. This includes costs for showing the property at about $800 per showing. It also includes all of the listing fees on the internet etc.

I would have thought showing the property should be paid for out of the commission, not as a separate billable item.

As far as I can see, the $5k includes pretty much everything they do! And they want me to pay commission on top of that???

Is that reasonable or are they trying to rip me off...??

It's a short flight to Coolangatta. Go around some agents, compare and contrast, then make up your mind. At the same time you could see a valuer.

All the best with the sale.
Lplate

cornflower said:
They are also trying to sell me an advertising package for about $5000.

This sounds quite exhorbanant to me, try shopping around a bit.

I'm not saying that you should necessarily go with the cheapest but I'd be wanting to see what i get for my money. Ask them to itemise the marketing and go from there.

Perhaps a QLD agent can tell us if this is the 'normal' cost of a marketing package for QLD.

Cheers :)

My hubby has been in real estate on the Gold Coast for 20 years. He couldn't believe the price you've been quoted. He reckons the marketing package is a rip off.

Shop around. My hubby is not active in real estate up here and knows heaps of decent agents so if you need some help finding one, just let me know.

welcome back corny :)

extras are over the top

My share of the advertising was $120......I'd talk to a few more

cheers
ani

no way jose!!!

These guys are trying it on as a bad joke being you are south of the border sellers.

All of our sales ,and yes there have been a few, in SEQ the agent has charged advertising of $200.00 only one time when they couldnt sell for us and we took that property off the market.

With the others, when we sold they wore the advertising ands showing costs which were taken out of their 5% for 18k then 2.5% thereafter. Any more and you are being ripped off.

Dont be shy about confronting these scammers with details of pricing from reputable agents. Rub their noses in it if it suits you, I'd just deal with professionals then leave them to stew in the silence.

Sorry to sound a bit serious but this is too ripe and stinky to be left alone.

Dont use them

DD1

I'm not even sure that it's legal for them to charge over the State maximum. Thier davertising costs may be a way of getting around restrictions, but if no qld agents on the foum respond, perhaps you could just refer it to qld fair trading. And leave it at that, while you go to find a better agent.

Cornflower,
imho..
why not try and sell your property yourself,
or swap the investment for something else.
it may also help to jump on a plane and have
a look at just whats happening in southport..
good luck
willair..

Community service

Great deal.
Who is the agent.
I have a property nearby ......do a community service and let us know who it is? They might be able to help me

No this is not the norm. I live on the Goldcoast and recently sold a property up here..I used an agent that was recomended to me by another investor. The Agent quoted the commission price before he got started on the sale and may I add it was extremely reasonable (no added extras) compared to the other 4 quotes I had had from other agents and on top of that he was a thorough gentleman and it only took him 2 weeks to sell my property for a top price. He and his wife run a family business (she does the property managment) in Southport.
Peter Currie Realestate..07-55270718..hope this helps.

The 5k sounds excessive to me, have they shown you a plan of how they intend to market the ppty ? I would not sign anything until I have a full marketing plan of what they are going to do. The agent should also attach any martketing plan to the appointment to act (you have signed this I take it, an agent cannot act on your behalf without one) and have you sign each page of any marketing plan. I live in Southport and my in-laws manage a large complex (60 units) there and they frequently have stories about questionable deals by some agents. If I had my Agents licence I would offer to sell it for you !!
Good luck and shop around, oh what's the asking price, of the townhouse and where in Southport is it, I might have a nosey.

KI

:D

I sold a townhouse in Mudgeeraba late last year. The agent I used charged 2.5% - FLAT fee (none of that 5% of 18k stuff - so it saved me $450).. The only other cost was advertising in the REIQ magazine, ad was around $80 or so.
My place took 3 months to sell - but the whole time the agent told me the price was realistic - and he was right - I ended up getting the price I wanted.
I would recommend him - Karl Sebastion from Surfers Realty (in Surfers !!).
Mobile is 0412093003, office number 07 55398422.
PS - I am in no way affiliated with Karl , just a satisfied customer.
David.

Back