Is your agency doing opens this weekend?

Goofy is a female :)

And Kathryn, you seem to be just skimming over my words and not reading them properly to justify a preconceived notion that all PMs are useless... in my original post and in one after that, i said that i only have a few properties available and none of them are vacant until the end of January, so i don't have to worry about owners who have vacant properties sitting there without anything being done about them. I also said that should i have had more properties vacant then i would need to reassess my decision to close the office this Christmas. I am actually processing an application as we speak that came in over night, so once again because it seems you are not understanding me... i am still available, i am still working for my clients, i am just not in the office!

but thankfully as the other posters in this thread most people are reasonable and don't expect their PMS to work on Christmas Day... i suppose it is lucky that you manage all of your properties yourself so you don't have to worry about having slack PMs working for you!

I assumed Goofy was female?

I think she is quite capable of defending her decision to close down for 10 days for Holidays.

I'm sure all her clients may be happy, except for the ones who have vacancies, or vacancies coming very soon.

I'm sure many private LLs will be happy to take the applicants, who don't want to wait. Afterall, many applicants may be on holidays too and want to get their move overwith, before they go back to work.

What about people moving into Australia..they supposed to stay at hotels?

LMAO

Villawood detention centre

You now seem concerned if goofy loses business to private landlords (?)

Now I am puzzled

LMAO

Villawood detention centre

You now seem concerned if goofy loses business to private landlords (?)

Now I am puzzled

I was never concerned about the PM at all.
I just wondered about the LLs who had vacancies at this time of year, and their PM's office is closed to applicants.

I know people look for rentals at this time of year, because we have just signed 3 this week at our own properties.

I liked the remark about the detention center :D

peopel wil luarvive

life will go on, decions will be made and the earth will keep truning

and the angriness epxressed in posts over the interenet will solve nothing

that's what will happen

I think everyone needs a fresh squeezed orange juice and a complimentary browse of the newspaper to help them all calm down.

Good PMs exist, and they get the job done. Bad ones exist, and we hear about them all the time on the forum. Same for any profession really.

Happened to us just now. Tenant gave 2 weeks notice, was supposed to be 3 weeks, but our PM said it was better to have the tenant out on 15 Dec so we'd have more time to do inspections and find a new tenant before Xmas, so we agreed to 2 weeks notice.

Then the PM didn't organise any cleaning, showed people through while it was dirty. There were no applicants, so we decided I would go to the next showing and make sure everything had been fixed and cleaned.

It hadn't. A week later, the place had still not been cleaned, and when I went to the showing, I discovered that the couch was split and ripped (it's a furnished rental) and the agent hadn't even told us! Plus, the agent didn't have any paper application forms to give out, and then shut the property 15 min early (showing was advertised as 30min window).

As a last resort, we asked the PM to change the listing on Domain to include our mobile numbers, so that if anyone wanted to inspect the property over Xmas we could show them. They didn't update it, and now they're on holidays until the 3rd Jan.

So I put an ad on Gumtree this morning and had a short-term tenant arranged by lunchtime. They're renting for 10 days. That's going to save me $1000 that would have otherwise been lost rent.

Now we just need to find a new PM!

I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that PMs weren't human and had no families and were supposed to be at our beck and call at any moment we demand.

But then I don't think the earth revolves around me.

My PM is not working but her mobile number is available if required. That's fair.

I hare the sense of entitlement that exists.

I think it is poor management by a PM if they cant take time off and satify clients needs at the same time by leaving some-one else in charge. Mines not always available but she makes sure some-one equally competent is. Surely if there are more than 2 agents working for the one company they can help each other out. Other buisiness dont seem to have any trouble arranging things so services can be provided during holidays, by having one person roostered for emergency contact.

Have a box of tissues luv, sounds like you sure need them.
And given 25 yrs of dealing with PMs, my day has rarely been made better after the event.
I asked about a few properties on the 20th, no agent or PM was helpful. All said "come back after the 3rd".
Maybe you should learn how to do your job a little more efficiently.

i work 80-90 hours a week.... i work damn hard for my clients!! Doctors and nurses are saving lives not leasing properties for goodness sake! But if you think it makes me a bad PM because i want to spend Christmas day with my family instead of working then so be it! I hate to break it to you, but PMs despite the common misconception are actually human beings with families and lives of their own and if an owner can't cope with me not being available for one day out of 365 days then it isn't me who has the problem.....and if you think i should offer a discount for not working that one day lol... i don't recall reading in the contract that i am to give my life over to the demands of owners 24/7/365.... going on your theory should i be charging them extra for the phone calls i take at 11pm at night? The midnight visits to your property to attend to an urgent matter?

Please don't put words into my mouth, i did NOT say i didn't work after 6pm (just ask my boyfriend how happy he is every day when don't get home until well after 8pm) nor did i say i don't work saturdays or sundays if required. And if you read my post correctly you would also note that i also said i was available for emergencies... what exactly more do you expect from your PM? Unbelievable.....

and i would also ensure that a contract doesn't end on christmas day... that isn't rocket science......

Last edited:
luce.rocks - That's horrible! I'd look for a new PM too. Good on you for getting a short term tenant in.

Jaggannath - hmmm...OJ & paper - that sounds like a good idea :)

Goofy - you sound like an awesome property manager :cool:. I imagine your time is too precious to be used up answering messages from someone who just doesn't like property managers.

To answer the original question. We are working over the holidays, except Christmas Day and Boxing Day. However, having said that, our mobiles were on on both days...just in case.

Gday Jodie, hope the storm hasnt inconvenienced you too much,,
lot of trucks loading here with beer slabs, going as far as they are able, then getting on the turps, hwy, rail, closed

I think so too,, service industry = service
alarm monitoring company, beep beep beep, tell the burglar to come back Jan 3 we're on holiday
doesnt matter anyway, police are on holiday
fireys
ambos
hospitals closed down

all the pms will write, "we arent firemen",
but pms, of their own volition, promise a service to paying customers on a monthly or weekly basis, not on a when we want to basis.
I am sure owners of properties managed by the other(wrong) sort of pm will receive a refund cheque for the service they didn't receive
Property managers are all honest

Gday Jodie, hope the storm hasnt inconvenienced you too much,,
lot of trucks loading here with beer slabs, going as far as they are able, then getting on the turps, hwy, rail, closed

Hi AlmostBob :)

No trouble at all for us. Once it turned into a cyclone off the the east it sucked our weather away. Sounds like the low is causing trouble further down though; keeping you guys busy!

A couple of people I've spoken to swear we will get a cyclone this year - we can only wait and see. I hope they're wrong.

Kind regards,
Jody

We are currently looking for a rental as we are doing some major extensions to our PPOR. Most PM's are on holidays at the moment or wont return calls in the 2 weeks leading up to xmas and still now. There is genrally no one else in the office that can show you through. As a previous Landlord I would be very concerned. If you have a vacant property ring your PM and pretend your a prospective tenant and see the response you get. Most we have contacted this week say they are to busy at the moment to even show us through any properties.

PS If anyone has a house in Mt Eliza / Frankston South Area vacant let me know. Looking for 6-9 month lease can pay a large portion of rent up front (cash) if preferred. Wanting to move around start of Feb.

Back