Issue with Solicitor

Hi guys,

I have been reading this forum for awhile and only just joined today as I need some advice with regard to the Settlement Statement that was sent to me by my solicitor on a property in Brisbane that I have just settled on as PPOR.

This is my first property, however my family has been buying and selling property since before I was born.

The solicitor I used was recommended to me by someone I have known and had dealings with through my family for a few years.

I started to get worried when the contract was signed and the first document they sent to me regarding the purchase had numerous errors in address, dates and amounts in the first 4 pages. Lets use the term, alarm bells!

Anyway, I'll cut a long story shorter. Fast forward to settlement.
I received the bill (which was way over the quoted amount! but thats another story) and the settlement statement.
At first glance I could tell the statement was incomplete or missing a page. As it didn't show me how they came to the final figure. However they are insisting that this statement is complete! I have shown it to my family members who all say this is incomplete or missing pages. After requesting the complete document again, the solicitor has basically said, I'm a first home owner and have no idea what I'm talking about.

So I'd like to de-identify it and maybe show the document to some of you on here to get your opinion because the only way forward I can see at the moment is to make a complaint to the Legal Services Commission. Is that going to far?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Scan it, post it for comment minus identifying features.

!st letter to you should outline the basis of the charge rate- outlays will be extra and are commonly not included in the quote because they are unknown at the outset.

Give the firm a chance to explain firstly- if no joy go to QLS or LSC.

Hi,
I'd suggest showing it to another lawyer for their opinion,
I know a very experienced, no BS, property expert lawyer who can advise,
PM me if you want their ph number.

Every settlement i have done comes with hidden problems,some you find out too late the others you can fix,if you can't then have a talk to the QLS
http://www.qls.com.au/Home ,..just one question what are you trying to get back,and have you paided the bill?..

Thanks for the replies so far.

Like I said, the bill they charged me is another story. I have already paid it.
I'm not really looking to get any sort of refund, they got me good. They are solicitors remember. The disbursements were double what was quoted and that's without the one extra request that I had. I was also charged for a service that I didn't request and was never advised was an extra charge. But I can't disbute that they provided that service, it's just that I didn't request it. It's all a learning experience, an expensive one though!

As for the advice I needed from the forum. The settlement statement doesn't show how they got to the final figure that I paid at settlement. It does show additions and subtractions for council rates, water, body corporate. But that is where the page ends. It doesn't show the amount the lender paid, the FHOG or the amount due by me at settlement.

I have just been shown a statement from another person and my statement is definitely incomplete!!

All I want is my complete statement!!! How difficult can that be?!?!

Oh, and just as another example of why I'm disappointed with the service.

In the settlement summary that was attached with the incomplete settlement statement and invoice, there is one sentence that reads:
Your lender paid $xxxx and the balance of $xxxx was paid by you.
When you add these two amounts it comes to $75,000 more than purchase price!! Obviously an error!

Besides being entitled to the settlement statement, this is another reason I want the complete statement!!!

The settlement statement doesn't show how they got to the final figure that I paid at settlement.
How difficult can that be?!?!
You must have had a idea in your head on the final settlement monies,one call should fix that everybody makes mistakes,or just walk in their door and talk too them before you run off too the QLS,people get worried on both sides when they step into the picture..imho..

I understand what you are saying willair and that was my thought too. And I too thought that one call would fix it... nope

I did have an understanding of the figure prior to settlement and what I paid comes to within $400 of what I was expecting. However without the complete statement and given the numerous errors they have already shown to make, I want the statement to check it... I thought it would be a simple thing to provide. It's a pretty simple request.

Ask and you shall receive ... doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, I have shown the statement to another person and they have confirmed that it is missing all of the expected information.

I don't want to involve any 3rd parties, but if they refuse to provide what I am entitled to, what are my choices...

As your parents are very experienced at buying and selling properties, they should be able to advise (or compare yours to the many they have).

Also, I'm sure their own trusted conveyancer/lawyer you could have a quick squiz at it for you - or any conveyancor/lawyer for that matter.

Or post it here (hiding identifying info.).

What was the purchase price of the property?

I know the Queensland LTO has a sliding scale on their registration fees. Your summary of the statement didn't include LTO fees. Could they be the difference?

Back