It's all you Investors to Blame!

So how does the sharemarket go up in value?

Spread rumour maybe? Just kidding. I don't really know.

However, I do believe that if you have certain skill and you're able to add value to a property that other people are willing to pay more for, chances are that you'll be able to command a higher price for it. I don't really know how you can do that in the sharemarket(no sarcasm meant).

Yes I know that, I was just trying to make a point that investors/speculators do drive prices as well to an extent. Otherwise no asset class would ever go up in value.

Of course property investors push prices up, any source of demand does. To suggest otherwise is just wrong. Investors (/Speculators) are a major component of property bubbles.

Of course property investors push prices up, any source of demand does. To suggest otherwise is just wrong. Investors (/Speculators) are a major component of property bubbles.

Can you describe how investors are a major component when they are in the minority :confused:

Can you describe how investors are a major component when they are in the minority :confused:

Hi Rixter

prices are driven at the edge e.g.

100 properties 70PPOR buyers, 30 invetors = balanced market

100 roperties 70PPOR buyers 35 investors= sellers market

Hi Rixter

prices are driven at the edge e.g.

100 properties 70PPOR buyers, 30 invetors = balanced market

100 roperties 70PPOR buyers 35 investors= sellers market

I dont know where you are getting your data but I'd like to know of suburbs where 35% are investors.

I dont know where you are getting your data but I'd love to know of any markets where 35% are investors.

Property is owned approx 70% PPOR/30% investor.

The %'s are irrelevant.

The relevance is that when a class of buyer causes an imbalance in the market they can have a disproportionate affect on the market.

Property is owned approx 70% PPOR/30% investor.

The %'s are irrelevant.

The relevance is that when a class of buyer causes an imbalance in the market they can have a disproportionate affect on the market.

Show me how property investors are the ones to blame for driving suburb's prices up :confused:

Show me how property investors are the ones to blame for driving suburb's prices up :confused:

100 properties for sale in a suburb, 90 PPOR buyers, 15 investors.

The smart investors such as yourself jump in and buy 15 at a good price
leaving 90 PPOR buyers to fight over the remaining 85.

The emotion of greed kicks in and prices then get pushed up.

100 properties for sale in a suburb, 90 PPOR buyers, 15 investors.

The smart investors such as yourself jump in and buy 15 at a good price
leaving 90 PPOR buyers to fight over the remaining 85.

The emotion of greed kicks in and prices then get pushed up.

Exactly, using your example... so it's not investors with multiple properties who are the ones to blame for driving up prices out of reach for the first home owners.

Can I just clarify what constitutes an investor?

To me an investor is somebody that takes calculated risk/s. Somebody who do their due diligence and proceeds if the deal stacks up. Somebody who has an exit strategy if they make a mistake, cut their losses and move on to the next deal. How many of these type of investors are in the market place?

Speculators/punters are most likely gamblers in my opinion. Somebody who puts a bet and hope to win with little or no due diligence. If they are categorised as investors, then I rest my case.

Now there was a time when properties were being snatched up by cashed up overseas buyers, paying a lot more than the market. Did they have anything to do with prices going up? I know of a few 'burbs that did. What about the marketing of overvalued properties to unsuspecting mum and dad would be investors?

The 30% and 35% is such an oversimplification. It'll be nice if it's that simple.

Exactly, using your example... so it's not investors with multiple properties who are the ones to blame for driving up prices out of reach for the first home owners.

No Rixter, in reality the PPOR/investors would be spread through the 100 sales, I was breaking it down to simple high school supply/demand economics.

Cheers

Pete

No Rixter, in reality the PPOR/investors would be spread through the 100 sales, I was breaking it down to simple high school supply/demand economics.

So you think Investors are to blame for first home owners being priced out?

If there were no investors, renters would be forced to buy their own places - and supply/ demand would remain the same!!

If there were no investors, renters would be forced to buy their own places - and supply/ demand would remain the same!!

Well investors subsidise renters because usually renters can't afford to purchase their own place or they're not in the position to do so.

30% is a major component. It's not only the majority demand that pushes up prices.
Some of the biggest recent bubbles in the world (since popped) were driven by speculators (Florida, Dubai, Eastern Europe, Spanish holiday areas). Australia also has an abnormally high proportion of property speculators (i.e. negatively geared).
Countries with a very low proportion of investors/speculators have not had much price growth over the last 15 years (Germany, Switzerland).

So you think Investors are to blame for first home owners being priced out?

Where would you ever draw that conclusion from my posts?:confused:

Investors are simply part of the the cycles of supply/demand.

Would you please explain how investors have no impact on supply/demand?

Cheers

Pete

Back