Japan Holiday

Thanks everyone

This is a family trip, even my daughter's boyfriend is coming:D.

My husband has always wanted to visit Japan, I am looking forward to experiencing their culture. We all luuuuve Japanese food, I have been told that eating out can be very expensive though, so may have to look at the markets for this.

Daughter no 2 will be having a birthday while we are in Japan and wants to go to a Karaoke Bar so that should be a fun night.

I plan to shop, when I travel I always like to bring home something unique to remind me of the trip.

I will be posting on my return to give you all an update.

Cheers, MTR

I have been told that eating out can be very expensive though, so may have to look at the markets for this.

Avoid "proper" posh restaurants.

Shopping centre eateries are usually fine - every shop has a wax mockup of what you'll be getting and a price in the display window (no the noodles or spaghetti will not stand upright as per the display! :D - those who have seen these will know what I am on about)

The Y-man

Thanks everyone

This is a family trip, even my daughter's boyfriend is coming:D.

My husband has always wanted to visit Japan, I am looking forward to experiencing their culture. We all luuuuve Japanese food, I have been told that eating out can be very expensive though, so may have to look at the markets for this.

Daughter no 2 will be having a birthday while we are in Japan and wants to go to a Karaoke Bar so that should be a fun night.

I plan to shop, when I travel I always like to bring home something unique to remind me of the trip.

I will be posting on my return to give you all an update.

Cheers, MTR

your everyday meals in tokyo are cheaper than perth, the only people who say it is expensive are those that eat in hotels, fine dining places or those with michelin stars etc. heaps of amazing food in japan at good prices, if youre a fan of sushi and sashimi you have to go to tsukiji and eat there.

Yup we are going skiing. First time snow for our kids.
Make sure you have good travel insurance which covers skiing.

Daughter in Canada just dislocated her arm skiing. $780 for a single doctor visit, which includes a $500 compulsory charge for foreigners. The insurance looks as if it will cover.

Japan is very cheap.

Meals etc are much cheaper than in Australia. Clothing is very cheap and good quality too, cheaper than Thailand.

And don't forget to go to the 100 Yen shops where for about $1 you can pick up all sorts of things - I get my neck ties from these shops!

Japan is very cheap.

And don't forget to go to the 100 Yen shops where for about $1 you can pick up all sorts of things - I get my neck ties from these shops!

+1 if your need to buy gifts for people back home, these shops are great and not bad quality either.

also if you are bringing any alchohol back, make sure to buy it in the supermarket not at the airport. shochu from the Kagoshima region is very good.

We are leaving for Japan tomorrow. I did some research how to be online cheaply as money is better spend for food!

Someone might be benefit of what I found.

W2 300
Public wifi access for 380 yen /month with first month free/no cancellation fee/no setting up fee
http://300.wi2.co.jp/en/

JAL ABC phone rental
Free 10 days rental charge (no data included)
http://www.jalabc.com/agency/m7539/rental/mobile/domestic/
Japanese only but booking form is in English bellow.
https://mobile.jalabc.com/yoyakuEnglish.aspx?tcd=7539

have a happy holiday!

Yes they have English page in their 'normal' site but I could't see they give 10 days free rental (even in japanese page). The link I posted is the link out from an agent page. Some credit card companies and travel agencies (all Japanese ones) seem to have the link out to the same 10 days free deal. The booking site address is different from main booking one so they must be someway they can tell the differences?

My confirmation email doesn't show anywhere 10 days free so I printed out the page showing the deal just in case they charge us.

Make sure you have good travel insurance which covers skiing.

Daughter in Canada just dislocated her arm skiing. $780 for a single doctor visit, which includes a $500 compulsory charge for foreigners. The insurance looks as if it will cover.

Will do - we always make sure we carry good insurance. This year we have gone with a yearly travel insurance policy because we were travelling twice to Asia and it was cheaper to go annual than 2 policies. Bonus was that it then covered me for 2 interstate trips as well.

http://www.covermore.com.au/annual-multi-trip

HI All
Should I exchange money in Oz?? Not sure what to do here.

Cheers, MTR

I would say definitely. I go to Japan about 3 times per year and have been caught out a number of times. The rate in Australia is usually about 10 points higher than you will get over there. It about 82 here you will only get 72 there.

I usually go via Thailand where I change dollars into Baht and then Baht into yen and this works out even better. On $10k I am $500 better doing it this way.

OK XBenX ...... you are on

Best place to eat
Best palce to shop
Karaoki Bars

You can tell I got my priorities right:p

Cheers, MTR

Have a great time with your family! :) Japan can be very cheap if you stick with local food.

I used Rakuten Travel for bookings and it was very useful (cheap accommodation, pay on arrival, etc.) Also got a rail pass, which was awesome for travelling around different cities, considering one-way ticket Tokyo to Osaka would easily cost 10000 plus. If you're going to quite a few different cities, I'd highly recommend it. I remember leaving something behind in Kyoto when we already arrived in Osaka; hopped on a bullet train, took 15 minutes to go back. A conventional train (even if rapid express) would've taken 1 hr. So IMHO, saves time and money. If you guys are staying for two weeks, you don't have to get the 14 day pass, you can plan it, such that you do most of the long distance travelling part within a 7 day period.

Both times I've been over were in winter around December, but it was never that cold, may be a few degrees less than Sydney's winter. But this year Asia's been experiencing a harsher than normal winter, so I would say down jackets are a must.

My wife is there now for the new year family get together, a special time for Japanese. I had to stay at home, "twodogs" to look after...

She will be mostly in Toyama, which is very very cold and snowy. But even in winter it is a beautiful place with lovely people and great food.

Must dos include the hot baths. I had one in the mountains with natural hot springs, outside and in the snow, and naked btw. And in Kyoto there are so many temples and gardens to see.

Have a wonderful time!

Thanks for all the great tips/info.

Just met someone this morning walking my dogs, they just got back from Japan and said its just mind blowing, culture, people, temples, food etc.

Not long to go now.

MTR

Back