Jessica Watson - Youth Australian of the year. Does she deserve this title?

Just putting the question out there.

I think what she did was fantastic and she is an inspiration to all Australians

my 2 cents worth.

GG

Hi GG,

Mixed feelings about this one, but only on a personal level. I prefer stories about people who have 'come from nothing' or faced real adversity in their lives & forged their future despite facing seemingly insurmountable problems. (Just a preference for the underdogs in life).

However, I do think it's pretty darn amazing for a 16yo to do what she did & all alone. What drive, committment & tenacity she appears to have. She is a great role model for young people to believe, dream & achieve. So hats off to this young lady, she's done well & will most likely have a very successful future in whatever she decides to do in life.

I think she's an inspiration and I admire her achievement, but... I prefer to see these awards go to people who serve others, rather than to people who have extraordinary individual achievements. She sailed solo because she wanted to, not for anybody else's sake. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that I don't think that's what these awards should be about.

I would not award this for individual achievements, eg adventurers, sportspeople, entertainers, business leaders, etc.

I prefer to see the award used to recognise community contributions, such as philanthropy, working with the homeless or disabled or other disadvantaged groups, teaching, amazing medical and emergency services staff (above and beyond performing their expected duties), fostering children, etc.

I'm not saying that sportspeople, entertainers, and adventurers don't make a valuable contribution; I just think that 1) those pursuits already attract plenty of accolades, and 2) that the motivation for doing those things is personal, and I'd rather we used the honours system and "Australian of the Year" awards to recognise people who serve others, who often don't get recognition commensurate with their contribution.

But to reiterate: I think Jessica Watson's achievement was amazing. :)

Does she deserve it?

100% Yes!

What an inspiration, not only to her own generation, but the entire nation. A true pioneering spirit that would make our forefathers extremely proud. We can all learn a little something from her.

Does she deserve it?

100% Yes!

What an inspiration, not only to her own generation, but the entire nation. A true pioneering spirit that would make our forefathers extremely proud. We can all learn a little something from her.

Agree 100%

Jessica is humble and an inspiration, she says she is not a hero just an ordinary person who had a dream and did not let others stop her from achieving her dream.

Her parents are also courageous for helping her to acheive her big dream!

Kind Regards
Sheryn

No! I don't think we should give such a high award to someone who only achieved a personal goal. There are 100's/1000's doing that every day with no recognition and/or no need for any recognition.

When she took off on her trip she didn't do it to inspire anyone - it was a personal goal of her own and nothing more. Her trip has been hyped as being an inspiration only since/because she came back. Had she not come back it would have been a whole different story. I can see it now - "What were her parents thinking?" "A 16 year old is too young to be sailing the high seas alone." "How irresponsible!" "What a waste of a life!" "They should be charged with something for letting her go". "How many $1000's has it cost the Australian taxpayer to go searching for her when she shouldn't have been out there in the first place" And so on. And I'd have been one of those people saying those things because I don't care how experienced she was or how mature she seems - she's 16 ffs - in the grand scheme of things she knows nothing 'cos she's hardly lived!

Yes it was a wonderful achievement - lucky for her - but not worthy of Australian of the Year.

What we should be encouraging is selfless acts, people who are generous with their time/skills/experience/money/whatever that benefit the greater community, especially in today's society, where everyone is so busy, selfish, stressed, ego centric, (any other reason/excuse) to not do anything for anyone else but themselves or get involved on others behalf.

No! I don't think we should give such a high award to someone who only achieved a personal goal. There are 100's/1000's doing that every day with no recognition and/or no need for any recognition.

:eek: that is the biggest load of crap I have heard in years....

So, you think 100's/1000's of 16 year olds are sailing around the world solo, every year.... I think some people have forgotten how BIG the world is at 16...

The inspiration such acts give to others is truly immeasurable... I fail to see how a 16 yr old can give "experience/money" to society... SIXTEEN... She did this at 16.... Amazing...

Youngest ever solo unassisted circumnavigation of the planet... No, Olly, not 100's/1000's... YOUNGEST EVER IN THE WORLD...

I love that she followed her passion. She has this sense of adventure and wanted to climb her Everest. What she achieved blows my mind. I am very proud of her.

Youth Australian of the Year indeed. Fantastic stuff.

Her example inspired me to start sailing again. Now I work harder so I've got more time to do the things I love. My wife would say she's made a direct and positive contribution to our lifestyles.

Jess is an example of what people can acheive if they work hard enough towards their goals. She's had a huge amount of advertising and support, but it was her determination that pulled that support together.

Just looking at the way she's conducted herself before, during and since her journey is an incredible example of her drive, sense of responsibility and maturity. She makes a far better role model than most of the sports people in the world.

She deserves the title 100%.

Does she deserve to be the Young Australian of the Year?

No more or no less than David Dicks (who, in 1996, was the youngest person to sail around the world solo, aged 18 yrs, 42 days on completion, with assistance), or Jesse Martin (who did the same in 1999, aged 18 yrs, 66 days, without assistance).

Niether was recognised with this award.

But that's the way awards like this go.

Obviously you've got to achieve something that is worthy of recognition. But it's purely a matter of luck whether someone does something even more worthy (in the eyes of those making the decision) that year.

:eek: that is the biggest load of crap I have heard in years....

So, you think 100's/1000's of 16 year olds are sailing around the world solo, every year....
No, I think you misunderstood; it was the "achieved a personal goal" which people are doing every day, not the "sailing around the world solo". ;)

When she took off on her trip she didn't do it to inspire anyone - it was a personal goal of her own and nothing more. Her trip has been hyped as being an inspiration only since/because she came back. Had she not come back it would have been a whole different story. I can see it now - "What were her parents thinking?" "A 16 year old is too young to be sailing the high seas alone." "How irresponsible!" "What a waste of a life!" "They should be charged with something for letting her go". "How many $1000's has it cost the Australian taxpayer to go searching for her when she shouldn't have been out there in the first place" And so on. And I'd have been one of those people saying those things because I don't care how experienced she was or how mature she seems - she's 16 ffs - in the grand scheme of things she knows nothing 'cos she's hardly lived!

Yes it was a wonderful achievement - lucky for her - but not worthy of Australian of the Year.

I agree.

I think her parents should be charged with neglect.
This is no different than when a child does not want a blood transfusion for religious beliefs, because she has been raised this way. At least child services will step in and the government will take custody of the child (in some countries)

It is no better than the parents who have their children participate in beauty pagents (toddlers in tiaras)..it is the dream of the parents.

Children should not be pernitted to sail solo at her age.

Yes 100%. She will spend a lifetime giving back. How do others out there know that she has not given anything in the past either. It is people like her that have probably been getting out of bed early for years helping and giving to her community and her chosen field. Go Jessica, you are amazing.

Award criteria are open to interpretation.

Her bio..............

From the age of 12 Jessica Watson dreamt of sailing solo, unassisted, non-stop around the world, and at the age of 16 she made it happen. She overcame a lack of funding and respect, along with her own fears, to circumnavigate the world. Defying criticism from those who said her task was destined to fail, she sailed through dangerous conditions and some of the world’s most challenging seaways, such as Cape Horn and the Southern Ocean. The teen adventurer survived multiple knockdowns in her yacht, Pink Lady, and endured 12-metre seas, 75-knot winds, storms and loneliness throughout the seven month journey. She kept in contact with followers through her blog and after 210 days out at sea, returned to a hero’s welcome as she sailed into Sydney Harbour. Since her voyage she has displayed maturity and dignity, becoming a role model for young people all over the world. Her voyage has inspired thousands of people of all ages to take up sailing, and has shown that if you put your mind to it you can achieve what may at first seem impossible. Her courage and determination to defeat all odds is truly exceptional.

The bold emphasis mine. It is true we do not know what she has (or hasn't done) to give to others. Usually a bio would make a mention of any humanitarian/philanthropic community contribution. :confused:

Not belittling her courage and effort, nor the role model she becomes for others that may choose to emulate, and not begrudging her the award.

The criteria are:

Selection Criteria
In choosing the recipients of the Australian of the Year Awards, regard is given to the nominee's achievements in the year immediately prior to the receipt of the award, as well as their past achievements and ongoing contribution to the Australian community and nation.

The selection criteria are:

Demonstrated excellence in their field
Significant contribution to the Australian community and nation
An inspirational role model for the Australian community
The Local Hero award acknowledges a significant contribution at local community level

Here's the full link:

http://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/pages/page560.asp

As always these things are open to interpretation. Again, not down playing her achievement, however a more serving (of others) and enduring beneficial community outcome might be a more fitting criterion IMO. :cool:

I think she's peaked but will be raking the $ in for a little while.
She may even sell all 210 pieces of her limited framed and signed portraits for $1,299.
http://jessicawatson.com.au/the-store

J-Watson-print-shop.png

The souvenier pack is probably better value at $49

bundle-large.jpg

or the poster for $25

large-poster.jpg

Last edited:
If everyone had experiences only a short run up or down the coast in a
small yacht like hers I think you would all say she deserves the award.

I have help a friend a number of times deliver small yachts from Sydney
to Newcastle and can't ever imagine going any further.

No way I would go around the world even if it was with the most experienced
skipper in the world, She is one brave girl.

If everyone had experiences only a short run up or down the coast in a
small yacht like hers I think you would all say she deserves the award.

So I need to go for a bit of a sail up the coast to test whether the award was deserved? Rubbish.

The 1979 inaugural winner:

Julie Sochacki was named the inaugural Young Australian of the Year in recognition of her work with unemployed young people. In 1976 the former student nur se found herself unemployed; to maintain her skills she enrolled in a course offered by the Service to Youth Council of South Australia (SYC). Julie and her peers became concerned about the many problems facing unemployed young people. With the support of the SYC she co-founded the ‘We Want Work Bureau,’ a scheme aimed at finding voluntary community service work for the unemployed. The following year the bureau began receiving Federal Government funding and was renamed ‘Action’; Sochacki was its first full time project officer and found work for 165 young people within a year. Julie Sochacki’s peers described her as a warm, open and genuine person.

Jessica has nothing on Julie.

Back