Keeping radiation in context.

You really think we should be creating waste that lasts 50 000 years when the current government doesn't seem to be able to make plans that survive the week?

Do you have any idea how incredibly capital intensive it is to build a nuclear power station? And the build costs never include decommissioning costs which process can take 25 years or more.

Even putting aside environmental issues nuclear power is a shitty economic deal.

They appear to be happy to mine the yellowcake in WA but not ship it, it's going to SA according to the news as Australia is already exporting it through Port Adelaide and Darwin from mines in SA and the NT

Freo has stood up and said "no uranium, nuclear waste or other material connected with the nuclear power industry may be stored or transported in or through the municipality".

Hi Redwing,

A greeny-lollipop article.

Huge big scary attention getting headline, but nowhere in the article does it say what the levels were previously, nor what the recorded levels are now.

From one billionth of a Sv all the way up to one one hundred millionth of a Sv perhaps ??

I guess the intent of the article is for the reader to walk away with the impression of "Nuclear Power is bad". If so, it's done it's job....never mind about what the researchers actually recorded.

Hi Dazz

here's a more recent one with some radition levels included

Record radiation in fish off Japan nuclear plant

TOKYO (AFP) - A pair of greenlings have shown the highest level of radioactive caesium detected in fish and shellfish caught in waters off Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant, its operator said Tuesday.

The fishes, captured 20 kilometres (12.5 miles) off the plant on August 1, registered 25,800 becquerels of caesium per kilo, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) said -- 258 times the level the government deems safe for consumption.

The previous record in fish and shellfish off Fukushima was 18,700 becquerels per kilo detected in cherry salmons, according to the government's Fisheries Agency.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/14624939/record-radiation-in-fish-off-japan-nuclear-plant/

Fed govt approves WA uranium mine

Fed govt approves WA uranium mine

The federal government on Tuesday approved Toro's $269 million Wiluna uranium project, 30km south of the Wiluna township and about 960km northeast of Geraldton.

The Wiluna mine will become Australia's sixth producer of uranium and the first in Western Australia.

Thirty-six conditions are attached to the approval.

Federal Environment Minister Tony Burke said he was satisfied it could proceed without unacceptable impacts on the environment, both during mining operations and beyond the 14-year life of the mine.

Toro managing director Vanessa Guthrie said Wiluna was the first new Australian uranium mine since mid-2009 to receive federal and state government approval.

Cont..

Back