Kit homes / granny flat fraud

Hi there

Just thought I'd alert members to iskhomes.com.au or askhomes.com.au as they have been known... I went to them for a granny flat earlier this year, but as circumstances have changed, decided to withdraw and get a refund on my deposit ($15k).

Anyway, long story short, phone numbers didn't work, emails not replied to so I googled up to find their latest phone number and realised they are under investigation by Office of Fair Trading.

Apparently they have ripped off lots of other people as well (including a couple who had paid $230k for a kit home which was never delivered).

Moral of the story - if you've never heard of a company you are dealing with, doesn't hurt to see if they are listed on the OFT website! They still appear to be trading (or have a website anyway) and someone did call me back on my email but said she was the receptionist when clearly she was listed as the 20 yr old director quoted by OFT. Apparently the managers were at a meeting 'for the whole day' and the sales rep who I dealt with is overseas and will be back at 'end of the month'.

I am now told by OFT I should submit an online complaint but not sure if it will change anything...

Just thought I'd pass it on.

starbright

Hi there

Just thought I'd alert members to iskhomes.com.au or askhomes.com.au as they have been known... I went to them for a granny flat earlier this year, but as circumstances have changed, decided to withdraw and get a refund on my deposit ($15k).

Not a good situation mate. Have they done any work for you? If you had plans drawn up they may hit you with an unreasonable fee for the work - like 15k for instance. :eek: If you put down a deposit I am assuming you have entered into a contract?

All the best with the outcome.

Thanks guys.

No work as yet, apparently they had made a few enquiries to council to make sure it could be built, and had started drawing up plans (only for 1 day until I told them to hold on), so any deduction will only be for the 1 day's worth of work.

I entered into a contract and agreed on a plan which they were going to modify for my site. I have the invoice and receipt of the deposit, so it all looked legit to me...

Ah well....cost of education? :(

Just hope they don't put their hourly up just for you. I have a friend who put a 10% deposit down on 2 kit homes. The company drew up plans for council submission and he lodged them. Then he decided to pull out of the contract as he wished to source his own materials rather than buy the kit. They would not refund any money arguing that they had spent all the deposit money on plan prep. It was around 8k worth.

They are being investigated by the OFT across several states so I will be lucky if I get ANY of it back. Even if it were 4 people who spent 6 hours on it each at $100 ph, it's still a fraction of the cost...

Back