Kitchen appliances in Brisbane?

We are about to rip out a kitchen in a house at Camp Hill. We will be looking for kitchens but thought as a start, I would see if there is somewhere I can buy reasonable quality appliances (oven, electric cooktop, range hood, dishwasher).

I'm happy to buy via ebay and have already looked at some items, but it is a bit of a lucky dip and I'm trusting that when they say "clean, works well" that this is the case, and I'm not buying someone's problem.

There are several ebay sellers who service "problem" items and resell with a one week or one month warranty, and that is fine, but I wonder why a nearly new appliance needs servicing, and whether it is truly fixed, or I'm just buying a "slightly fixed" lemon.

I've found an ebay seller who sells new products for considerably cheaper, possibly a scratch and dent type situation, but I've not had time to dig deeper yet. I'm working today but need to get onto this soon.

This house will be rented for another year or more and possibly sold in the medium term, but may be kept long term, so we want reliable and not cheap rubbish appliances.

We are happy to buy scratch and dent with minimal cosmetic or near-new second hand.

Any leads to a good place to buy would be appreciated.

I've seen where stores like good guys and retrovision change over their display appliances, and offer large discounts.

I haven't bought these myself, but a friend from work did from a kitchen installation company.

Bought a $3k Bosch package for under $1,000, and apparently works great.

Come to think of it I saw some cheap display kitchens advertised in Bris a couple of days ago as they were changing them - either gumtree or ebay, not sure if still advertised

I cant think of the name just now, but we bought a perfectly good washing machine earlier this year from a store that sells new scratch and dent and end of model appliances. Their main shop is at Salisbury, Toohey rd I think, opposite the tavern, and the other store is at Alderley on the northside whom we dealt with. I like that I can see the item before I buy it rather than buying online. They still have their new warranties.

Thanks for the leads everyone. I have found great products at appliances online but also found this

http://www.wholesaleappliances.com.au/ovens/256.html

which (if I believe the site) means I can buy an oven for $425 that was $1599.

I'm not a sucker, and realise the $1599 is perhaps a bit of a "come on" but I'm wondering if it is better to buy this oven for $425 (delivery still means it is less than $500) rather than this one from appliances online

http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/600mm60cm-chef-electric-wall-oven-eoc627w/

for similar money.

I suppose what I am asking is whether it is better to spend the same money on something that (may?) have initially cost more in order to get a better quality appliance.

Or are these so called higher prices just smoke and mirrors?

Ultimately, I want appliances that I can "set and forget". I'm not wanting to just be a cheapskate to save a few dollars and then spend what I save on repairs or replacements sooner than expected.

This is a house valued at about $475K so we cannot go overboard with out spend or we are overcapitalising for the house and for the area.

Thoughts?

Back