Kitchen Bargins Anyone

I want to put a new kitchen in my IP in Sydney's inner east. I don't want to use Ikea or Bunnings. Does anybody know where I can get a decent kitchen installed at a reasonable price. Also I am trying to find a good place to buy a sink, cook top plus oven and dishwaher. Is there anywhere that sells good quality seconds?

Can't help you sorry. I priced a kitchen for my beach house in the last week of May from Bunnings.
My father finally got around to ordering one a couple of weeks ago so he could install it for me and the price had gone up 10%! :eek:

I am getting the kitchen for my PPOR from Paradise Kitchens in Wetherill Park. I would describe it as a medium sized kitchen, 2pac white doors, uncut granite slabs for benchtop (they have to be cut on site) I think it was $5500 or so.

I want to put a new kitchen in my IP in Sydney's inner east. I don't want to use Ikea or Bunnings. Does anybody know where I can get a decent kitchen installed at a reasonable price. Also I am trying to find a good place to buy a sink, cook top plus oven and dishwaher. Is there anywhere that sells good quality seconds?

Don't know what your concept of a reasonable price is, but mine is $4k for materials ex appliances, $500 for plumbing/wiring alterations, and $65 an hour for installation.

Have you checked out the auctions at Wetherill Park? Depending on the day we have picked up some decent bargains. They have recommended installers you can use as well.

We have used a kitchen from an auction house. I had my own tradesmen install. Total cost for a very very flash kitchen, white 2 pac and granite bench tops, stainless steel appliances and glass fancy range hood was under $6k.

Sunshine

Thank you all for your input.

Firsthomelooker - I have seen Paradise Kitchens at Wetherill Park mentioned before in this thread. I think I will give them a call.

I would like to get out of it for $5,000 to $6,000 including appliances. Its not a very big kitchen.

Sunshine - You mentioned Wetherill Park auctions. Can you explain further. What auctions are these?

There are a couple of different mobs in Sydney.

A good place to start

www.lawsauctions.com.au

We have bought from them many times. e.g. 1500 double bowl vanity $200. Dryer $220 (simpson). Fancy glass and stainless steel curved range hood $200, upright stove $500. My sister purchased a kitchen - 2 pac and granite very large - $2000.

Just a tip - don't go if it is raining. Too many builders there!!

I love auctions, lots of bargains to be had, but make sure you do your homework.

Sunshine

sunshine we were out at laws auctions the other day and the kitchen prices looked really good. Just curious how did the instal go and how hard was it to find a combination of units to fit and hopefully i am not being to nosey was it for a new build or reno.

sunshine we were out at laws auctions the other day and the kitchen prices looked really good. Just curious how did the instal go and how hard was it to find a combination of units to fit and hopefully i am not being to nosey was it for a new build or reno.

Hi Don and Liz

My sister had a local kitchen place do the fitout. It cost almost as much as the kitchen. It is a very large u shape, for under $4k she did fantastic. No problems making it fit.

For the one I installed, it was a galley kitchen, I had a chippie install for me at $45ph.

It took me hours of configuring on paper to make it fit. The cupboards weren't the problem but the lengths of granite. You know when you try too hard - you have no success - well I left the configuring for a couple of days - when I got back to it - it was really simple and didn't use all the cupboards.

We ended up turning the pantry upside down - and inserted a couple of side boards, and made the dishwasher space and the fridge space a bit bigger. Looks great.

I made a high return/servery, and the supplier was able to match the granite for the top for an extra $180.

Both the kitchens were renos.

Sunshine

fun

Thanks. Sounds like fun! It makes me want to start a reno or something. The quality of those units would make the extra effort worthwhile. They looked very nice.

Here is pics of my completed auction kitchen.

This is my first photo upload, if it works - lookout!! With a little bit of knowledge I am dangerous.:D

OK seems I am not dangerous yet - I will try again later.

OK I have to re-read the instructions - will try again later

Sunshine

Last edited:
IMG_6842.JPG

IMG_6842.JPG

IMG_6837.JPG

IMG_6837.JPG

Woohoo. I figured it out - finally. Now I am really armed and dangerous.:D

Sunshine

Last edited:
Know what you mean - I can't believe how much it rains here!

We had more rain in our first 2 months up here than what we had in 3 years in NSW.

At least I don't have to water the garden or top the pool up - and it seems to rain mostly at night or late afternoon, which means the days are usually (apart from today) sunny.

Maybe next year you will have better weather on your holiday??

Sunshine

Thanks Sunshine and others. This thread is very useful for us as we begin to look at a kitchen reno on the lower north shore.

We've only done one reno before (a bathroom) which we spent way too much money on (didn't know any better), and I have been hesitant to get started for fear of making the same mistake again. This thread has given me the confidence to go and check out these auction houses and give it a go. (We had an interior designer come out just after we bought this place who told us the kitchen would cost $50k to do up!)

We were at Bunnings the other day and checked out their "flatpax" - these looked so poor. We were starting to wonder whether we'd be able to get a reasonable kitchen at decent prices. We now know its possible - your kitchen looks stunning.

Oh, one question - do you have to cart the cupboards etc... back home yourself or is there a delivery service at Laws?

Jenny

Oh, one question - do you have to cart the cupboards etc... back home yourself or is there a delivery service at Laws?

Jenny

Hi Jenny

Laws usually have delivery people hanging around, or business cards available and you can call them from the auction and get a quote. Alternatively you can organise your own courier company to pick up and deliver as well, you normally have a few days after the auction before it is required to be removed.

I loved the tiles at Laws. They have a great range and an excellent prices. You didn't have to bid for them either, get there after the auction and then they will tell you how much per sqm. They were ridiculously cheap. Large porcelein (spelling??) tiles for under $20 sqm. (RRP $100+ sqm). Wall tiles were as cheap as $5 sqm.

Have fun!

Sunshine

Back