Kitchen cupboard doors

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had luck doing a kitchen reno by just replacing the cupboard doors and drawer inserts instead of redoing everything? I'm thinking to do it like this because the colour and condition of the outer parts is fine but changing the doors would make it look a lot newer and more expensive.

There are 11 doors in total (including pantry cupboard) and 4 drawers. Any idea about how much we'd be looking at for this?

We will also get new benchtops.

Hi Cimbom,

If your cupboards are standard size this should be easy and cost effective.

We were fortunate the dodgy owner before us put an ikea kitchen in. So I just waited for Ikea to have a sale on a run out style and did all kitchen doors(8 including two corners), drawers and pantry for under $300. The kitchen looks so much better already.

Also if Ikea doors fit, this you can easily research online.

Kitchen bench top I am still sourcing as this is the pricy bit. I could replace with the same ikea top but I find they don't like water so as Sanj suggested, chasing stone masons etc for end of line, excess cuts.

Hope this helps.

I just looked at Ikea and the ones I like would come to $1200. The includes a new sink and mixer tap too. I couldn't seem to find any pantry sized doors though.

I really like the look of some Caesarstone benchtops, especially the ones with the nice texture through them. I have no idea what we'd be looking at in terms of cost though. I think we'd need about 3.5 metres of it.

ImageReader.axd
ImageReader.axd
ImageReader.axd

I just looked at Ikea and the ones I like would come to $1200. The includes a new sink and mixer tap too. [/IMG]

IKEA stuff is generally good for kitchens and laundries except their tapware.

They look good and appear inexpensive, however, they have a lower pressure rating than those that are normally available in Australia, so unless you use a pressure reducer upstream of the tap, you may have leak issues when the tap eventually fails.

nb: They don't always tell you this in the display area so check this out before buying.

The last IP we renovated involved a refaced kitchen.

We put in new cupboard doors, benchtop, handles, splash back and rangehood.

It looked nice and new once completed. It wasn't too expensive - but we're lucky to have some tradies in the family who helped a lot.

Cheers

Jamie

I just looked at Ikea and the ones I like would come to $1200. The includes a new sink and mixer tap too. I couldn't seem to find any pantry sized doors though.

I really like the look of some Caesarstone benchtops, especially the ones with the nice texture through them. I have no idea what we'd be looking at in terms of cost though. I think we'd need about 3.5 metres of it.

ImageReader.axd
ImageReader.axd
ImageReader.axd

Hi Cimbom,

The $300 was for cupboard doors only, haven't done taps/ sinks and tops yet.

Idea for pantry, have you thought about splitting the doors if it makes it more cost effective to go with pre mades such as Ikea? We have a large section/ microwave recess/ standard cupboard on top.

I'm sure the engineered tops from Ikea are great but in my experience, it is not only the taps not rated for water...the laminate tops aren't either! Also I found delivery costs prohibitive.

How old is the original kitchen? I have done a few "facelift" kitchens like this.

Have a REAL CLOSE look at the carcasses .. Is there any swelling or lifting of the melamine? Is there any noticeable staining of the shelves? (you may need to give them a thorough bleaching with bleach gel and a scourer) if the carcasses are in good codition then go for it.

This is the same idea I had, but the cabinets didn't fit any of the doors they sell now, wrong heights and widths. So I just replaced all the cabinets as well. $2300 for a new kitchen from bunnings, when using their hardwood timber slabs as bench tops.

Attachments

• Upload 4.jpg
    Upload 4.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 107
Absolutely, it really adds to the value of a property and ease of sale or renting if the kitchen looks new, fresh and smart. Its amazing how many people are put off by an average kitchen.

We just put in a new kitchen with a caesar stone benchtop alone (40 mm) cost around $1300 - ice snow is a popular range, have uploaded a picture.

Sasi - pm me if you'd like to have my kitchen installer's contact details - I had about 6 quotes done and his wasn't the cheapest but we sure got value for money. And he is happy to only change benchtop, doors and handles and leave the carcass intact ..doing that just now for a friend

Attachments

• photo (16).JPG
    photo (16).JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 98
Back