Kitchen Reno

Following on from this thread...

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106354

I've got some inspiration for updating the kitchen on new IP (current and proposed photos attached).

The property is in Brisbane, so it will be long distance reno.

I think it will need

Painting - $1k
New benchtops - $500
Tiling to the floor (assume 50m2 @ $50/m2) = $2.5k
Lights and fittings $1k

Total $5k

For those with experience in reno's in brisbane, am I somewhere near the mark in cost and what am I looking at time wise, assuming all done by others.

Attachments

• 5 silvyn.jpg
    5 silvyn.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 165
  • kitchen example.jpg
    kitchen example.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 154

I've got some inspiration for updating the kitchen on new IP (current and proposed photos attached).

I think it will need

Painting - $1k
New benchtops - $500
Tiling to the floor (assume 50m2 @ $50/m2) = $2.5k
Lights and fittings $1k

Total $5k

For those with experience in reno's in brisbane, am I somewhere near the mark in cost and what am I looking at time wise, assuming all done by others.

Hi, Im from sydney but ive done a few reno's. Does your pricing include labour? and lights and light fitting seem abit excessive?

Hi,

Would you be doing any of the work yourself? e.g. Painting.

Your lights and fittings seem abit excessive, i dont think it will cost more than $500.

I think it will need

Painting - $1k What are you painting?
We are about to have a timber colonial kitchen carcass/doors painted and our painter has indicated $1000 to do so. That is internal and carcass external, doors removed and sprayed gloss. We have more kitchen to paint and it needs base, two top coats. Or does your "painting $1K" mean walls too?

New benchtops - $500 Sounds about right, maybe a bit low. Hubby helped our son put new timber bench tops in his unit. I think it cost about $500 but it is smaller than your run of bench tops. I'll attach a photo.
Tiling to the floor (assume 50m2 @ $50/m2) = $2.5k Same unit, our son bought stick on "tiles" which did the job of modernising the vinyl for very low cost. Another option would be cheap vinyl planks? Or remove the vinyl and have the floor sanded. Another son had a kitchen floor polished that meets a living room like your IP and the sander did a mesh buff coat to the rest of the house to tie it all in. Cost from memory $1K for the whole job but your house looks bigger. We are about to have a very weathered verandah floor sanded and probably a whole house of floors buffed (when tenants move out and we can see how badly scratched they are). The mesh buffing works wonders and brings the floors up like new.
Lights and fittings $1k Sounds high. Lights could be bought for $100 each for two in that area and just need fitting.

Total $5k

I would guess you will be removing that stepped room divider to open up the whole area?

Here is a photo of the stick on tiles -

Here is the bench top. I think he bought this on ebay, but Ikea sell the same product. Both sons have used both products -

Hi,

Your lights and fittings seem abit excessive, i dont think it will cost more than $500.

I could go up and paint, but factoring the cost of flights, I don't think it would work out that I would save much by painting just the kitchen. If I painted the whole house, it would probably be a lot cheaper though.

Would $500 cover the cost of a sparky to replace power points/light switches and ceiling lights if I supply the materials then?

Hi,

$500 should easily do it, however, once electricians get involved, it can get very expensive,

for that price, id want to do somethign about those door handles, it still looks like an old kitchen done up

assuming none of it is DIY, $5k is good, best bang for buck reno, way below the 5% -10% kitchen reno budget that most recommend

dont forget cleaning costs (new tiles can be notroiously dirty)
while you have the electrician out, you could get them to install a power point extra or two or even a fan like in the photo,
I got a fan installed recently for $195

I would also remove this ugly pelmets. That might mean patching some screw holes, but that would be better than looking at those. They really date the place.

If you need a good painter, sparkie, drop me a PM. What suburb is the house?

I've got a great plumber too, but he is too busy and has asked me not to recommend him to anyone because he cannot say no and has forgotten what his wife and kids look like :D.

I could go up and paint, but factoring the cost of flights, I don't think it would work out that I would save much by painting just the kitchen. If I painted the whole house, it would probably be a lot cheaper though.

Would $500 cover the cost of a sparky to replace power points/light switches and ceiling lights if I supply the materials then?

Yes i believe so, they shouldn't charge more than $50 bucks to change a power point and switch.. and depending on the light fitting will be just a pendant light or a chandelier ( obliviously you would use a pendant light for a IP). However if you want to remodel the kitchen and change powerpoint location thats when it becomes expensive.

As its interstate i would suggest to use this website to get quotes servicesseeking.com.au.

I would also suggest to not go the cheap option and invest in products that will last e.g. Benchtop.. dont get laminex ( i did this mistake when i renovated my kitchen) 2 yrs later is has water damage.

I try to find you pic of my kitchen.

Painting - $1k What are you painting?
We are about to have a timber colonial kitchen carcass/doors painted and our painter has indicated $1000 to do so. That is internal and carcass external, doors removed and sprayed gloss. We have more kitchen to paint and it needs base, two top coats. Or does your "painting $1K" mean walls too?

I had painting the kitchen unit one colour, removing the doors and painting them another colour, then putting back on. While I'm at it I may as well alter the hinge and handle.

Then painting the walls to the kitchen as well. Getting rid of the dividing skirting board and making the whole wall one colour would also be on the agenda!

Wait a sec...wouldn't there be boards underneath the kitchen? Why not just lift the vinyl and polish the boards. Looks better IMHO than tiles...plus will make it look bigger if its seamless with the room its adjoining.

50 sqm including getting of the lino will be circa $25-27 per sqm. I know a guy down there, used him twice already and he's good, honest and did a great job whilst I had my feet up in Sydney. PM me if you want this details.

Back