Kitchen Reno

Wait a sec...wouldn't there be boards underneath the kitchen? Why not just lift the vinyl and polish the boards. Looks better IMHO than tiles...plus will make it look bigger if its seamless with the room its adjoining.

50 sqm including getting of the lino will be circa $25-27 per sqm. I know a guy down there, used him twice already and he's good, honest and did a great job whilst I had my feet up in Sydney. PM me if you want this details.

Hmm. Blows my other options out of the water!

Hmm. Blows my other options out of the water!

And if prop is in a sub $400K area, my 2 cents is just paint the kitchen if its in good, original condition. It looks better than the one in my thread. You'll obviously be expecting top dollar rent if you redo that kitchen. If you dont, youll save $$ and rent will consequently be a tad lower, maybe $30. My motto is: there's always a market for cheaper rent and tenants in lower priced areas are very price sensitive.

My other personal experience is the can of worms that inevitably opens when you replace a kitchen. Taps/pipes need to be changed, tiler needed, plumber needed, electrician needed, demo cost, skip cost,new kitchen doesnt fit perfectly and resultant work to ensure if it does (if you don't use a builder), need to buy appliances, the list goes on. So if you can help it and it doesn't look that bad, leave things alone. Then there's the peripheral added cost of "well I spent $8K on the kitchen, I might as well do x, y, z". $30K later...

However a nicer house will have less vacancy rates, plus added capital growth in case you want to reval and access some equity.

That is true, but I wouldn't be spending $5K to get "maybe" an extra $15 per week, especially if the block could be developed down the track and whatever you do will be wasted (... and I might be thinking of another thread).

That is true, but I wouldn't be spending $5K to get "maybe" an extra $15 per week, especially if the block could be developed down the track and whatever you do will be wasted (... and I might be thinking of another thread).

Yeah if you were going to knock the place down you wouldn't be spending the $$$

I know I'm a dag but I honestly prefer an old style kitchen and bathroom if they're clean and in good condition to a shabby half hearted reno with tacky paint and no cohesion.
I'd rather reno one room really well. Just take it one room/part of a room at a time and get stuff that can be knocked around and still look ok.
A couple of coats of paint that bring the colours together can make all the difference.

Long term I would like to knock down and redevelop, but I'm talking 10 years.

Would $5K reno over 10 years be considered a waste of money?

I know I'm a dag but I honestly prefer an old style kitchen and bathroom if they're clean and in good condition to a shabby half hearted reno with tacky paint and no cohesion.
I'd rather reno one room really well. Just take it one room/part of a room at a time and get stuff that can be knocked around and still look ok.
A couple of coats of paint that bring the colours together can make all the difference.

Long term I would like to knock down and redevelop, but I'm talking 10 years.

Would $5K reno over 10 years be considered a waste of money?

In this case, and assuming a $5K reno will bring in $15 per week extra, I would clean it up, paint everything that can be painted (not the tiles) and rent it out, as per WattleIdo's suggestion.

Back