Kiva - helping others via micro-credit

Oh, how exciting! I've just visited our Kiva group's members page and noticed we already have 7 members! I'm pretty sure that I can link all of you to your Somersoft forum names, but I won't name you here in case you'd rather be anonymous. But thank you, thank you, thank you!

I joined Kiva ages ago. I have about 45 loans already. I like it not only because it has the potential to help the poor but also because it provides currency diversification for me. I just wish I had put more in before the Aussie dollar collapsed in mid 2008.

Remember all Kiva transactions are in US dollars. If the Aussie dollar collapses, imports (like petrol) are more expensive. However, if you hold US dollars in Kiva then your purchasing power is protected unless there is massive US dollar inflation.

Hi Tracey. I just joined and made my first loan. I will look at doing a loan a month for the moment and see how it goes. I sent quite a number of invitations to others. What a fantastic idea.

I have always thought I would like to "give back" in some way, and this is a great idea.

Not sure how to add the line to my signature. Do I just copy it from your post and add it in to my regular signature?

Hi Tracey

Do you know whether Kiva put out brochures at all? I was thinking I might be able to hand some out when I go to my next meeting at Head office? Obviously I can direct them to the website but knowing how people are once they all go back to their own offices they may not bother to follow through whereas a hard copy put in front of them may initiate the interest.

I like it not only because it has the potential to help the poor but also because it provides currency diversification for me.
LOL, this aspect of it hadn't even occurred to me - but good point!
I just joined and made my first loan.
Good on you, wylie - awesome!
wylie said:
Not sure how to add the line to my signature. Do I just copy it from your post and add it in to my regular signature?
Yes, I think that will work.
Do you know whether Kiva put out brochures at all?
This page has a brochure and flyer that they give you permission to print. :)

All of you who are interested in Kiva, have a good look at that link, there are heaps of other ideas for promoting Kiva there, including graphics you can put on your webpage or in your signature, suggested wording for an email to your contacts, etc.

I joined after hearing about Kiva on these forums, and while I haven't personally lent yet, I bought 2x $25 gift vouchers for my wife last week....so I'll get her to join the Somersoft Lending Team on my behalf once she joins.

I like the concept a lot, just a bit wary about some of the field agents and loan applicants...but I guess we get to choose who our money goes to.

Yes, you get to choose who your loan goes to. I've made 28 loans and had zero defaults, and 0.56% late payments. The overall rate of default (Kiva-wide) is about 2.5%, but substantially lower than that if you stick to 4- and 5-star rated lenders.

Given that comparable programs - such as child sponsorships - often cost as much as a Kiva loan per month and are a donation rather than a loan, I think it's a pretty low-risk way of helping. :)

Our team now has 13 members and has made 31 loans; great!

:( went to do a new KIVA loan today ... I got some repayment money in my Kiva Credit.

There must have been some renewed media for Kiva because there are no available loans..

While I was on the site wasting some of my boss' ime :D I noticed the Kiva Fellows programme. That led to the kiva fellows blog.

http://fellowsblog.kiva.org/

Some good stories here :D. Will have a good read tomorrow on my day off. (better not waste ALL the boss' time)

*BUMP*

Plenty of businesses wanting a loan right now.

I note that our team has made 78 loans totalling $2225 to date - well done, friends! Sue (moyjos) has made a whopping 31 loans - well done, Sue! Several members have made over 10 loans; it's wonderful to see.

It's so exciting seeing how this amazing concept connects people, and to think of all the entrepreneurs we're helping. :)

Just thought I would give this thread a bump. I joined the Somersoft team in July and just made my second loan.

I plan to provide about 3-4 loans a year and think microfinance is a great way to support those less fortunate without simply giving a free handout.

I note the Somersoft team now has the following totals:

Number of Team Members: 19
Number of Loans: 155
Number of Loans per Member: 8.16
Total Amount Loaned: $4,150.00

*Updated as of Oct 30, 2009 12:02 am

Back