Knock down rebuild Coburg

My first ever venture into this forum, with the biggest project of my quite long life just about to occur.

After 40 months of too-ing and Fro-ing, It looks like we've managed to gain an old laneway easement so we can build side by side houses at our family home of 25 years in a very central part of Coburg.

The Laneway definitely doesnt have a sewer underneath so that wont be an issue. We also are claiming a very thin strip of land... circa 10 centimeters at it's widest which tapers to zero on the north side of our property....All this is because over 100 years ago when this area was subdivided measures were not as accurate as today, and our surveyor said we should try and build to the border.

Two issues are worrying me, first I've chosen a major builder, so as to have only one person to deal with in the whole process. I dont mind paying a premium for that, as I'm not at all confident about getting various people to do exactly what I want, and would rather deal with one.... So is this a good course ?

Secondly, we have brand new neighbours, and they are suddenly going to be confronted with a major rebuild next door to them, a small claim on their land, even though it's been within our bounderies for over 100 years. Plus the Big one that is really worrying me and the main reason I posted. How do I get these young ladies to accept me building a major external brick wall right next to their weatherboard house... I mean right alongside it. I've been told I'm allowed to do this, and it isnt a problem from a building perspective... but how do I tell them and what issues are there in doing this... they lose the outside surface of the South Boundary of their house for ever. If I were a new home owner in my first house I would be horrified if I got that news in my first couple of months of moving in.

So I'm after some selling points for this bad news for these neighbours please.

Any comments on the whole of my project would be most welcome, as I am a total and not very confident novice. My main aim is to build us a very good family home, with basically no cost to us at the end via selling of the other house... they are 25 square 3 bed, two living area, with roof decks, with architect plans, awaiting costing, at our builders now.

Just be nice about it

Hello! I am thinking of doing a similar thing to you so will be very interesed in how your project goes.

As far as your question goes I relate to you as the builder and as the neighbour because I've just received a letter from council informing me that my neighbour (on my north side, of course!) is extending up and out in a big way.

I think it's promising that you are so concerned about your neighbours (I am the same and my first instruction to my architect will be to do what's right by them rather than everything we can legally), and that that's a very good start. If I were you I would ask them if you can have a meeting to take your neighbours through the plans. Maybe you could assure them that you have done, and will do, everything possible to minimise the impact on them?

What really miffed me about my neighbour's plans was that even though we are on good terms, he didn't warn me this was coming (and he is asking for dispensation to build too high too close to my north boundary).

I'm sure other people with some actual experience will have better ideas for you!

Last edited:
Hello! I am thinking of doing a similar thing to you so will be very interesed in how your project goes.

As far as your question goes I relate to you as the builder and as the neighbour because I've just received a letter from council informing me that my neighbour (on my north side, of course!) is extending up and out in a big way.

I think it's promising that you are so concerned about your neighbours (I am the same and my first instruction to my architect will be to do what's right by them rather than everything we can legally), and that that's a very good start. If I were you I would ask them if you can have a meeting to take your neighbours through the plans. Maybe you could assure them that you have done, and will do, everything possible to minimise the impact on them?

What really miffed me about my neighbour's plans was that even though we are on good terms, he didn't warn me this was coming (and he is asking for dispensation to build too high too close to my north boundary).

I'm sure other people with some actual experience will have better ideas for you!

Thanks for replying, It's good to see someone considering the same as us. I've barely spoken to these new Neighbours yet.... only on Auction day when I congratulated them, when our old friends that had sold the house introduced us.

Not sure how all of this is going to go. After the unexpectedly long delay of 38 months plus in getting this easement on our title, things seem to finally be moving at breakneck speed.

We obtained our first real quote of our major builders yesterday, It looks totally doable as well. Coming in at the minimum price or thereabouts of what I would expect to sell one for (Low 700's) Which includes absolutely everything as far as I can tell.... From Town planning and building permits, Demolition, soil tests, P class slab (I only found out what that was yesterday lol) plus an additional External spiral staircase to trafficable roof deck etc etc. Basically we are building a mid to high spec 25Sq Townhouse (side by side) with the lot.

Does anyone know of any other large builder that can quote for the whole lot... Demolition design and town permits included.

One question can they do the Soil Tests before they demolish our house, so we can have minimum time in renting whilst they build ?

Is it also more marketable to do the 2nd Townhouse as 4 bedroom, rather than have an extra living area upstairs to their roof deck ?

Fourth bedroom

I am struggling with this too. I think 3 bedrooms plus second living is better than 4 bedrooms, myself. A real estate agent might be the best person to advise though.

Have your quotes come in at low 700s for construction of both? That's good for mid to high spec and that size. Can i ask who your architect is?

Thanks for the feedback guys, feeling slightly miffed at our finance guy of 10 years plus at present, who has continuously assured us, finance for real estate wouldnt be an issue for us.. Till he realised this was going to be a Short term Loan. Seems they dont mind you being mortgaged to the max on "various properties" but if your going to use a finance broker to build and pay off quickly, then your current wages take absolute precedence. Isn't it great how they move the Goal Posts. We will still be able to get a loan, just how much it's actually going to cost is the issue.

Will report back next week.

Have a girlfriend building right on both boundaries in Richmond, has had no end of trouble, about 3 years getting it through, council most obstructionist. Has had to come in 1 mtr on East boundary (which was where her original boundary was). She is having a car stacker and was drilling on the neighbours boundary so had to have an internal Condition Report of the neighbours property too so they couldnt claim damage by the drilling afterwards

Back