Lack of information on property web sites

One main objective with property sites such as Domain is to match buyers and sellers. To do this, most sites have filters by location, type of property, number of bedrooms, price, etc. It was quite disappointing to see too many properties on the list without an address (available on request), map, floor plan, adequate internal photographs (3-4 pictures were typical), street views, likely rent and other information that I regard as essential before looking closer. (An approximate floor plan should be mandatory, as should an inspection.)

Enquiries were made about five properties which had no addresses, no map, no floor plan, no street view, and just two or three internal photographs. There was one reply, which did not provide any of the information sought. Not good.

It seems to me that the selling agents are doing their clients a disservice in that if information on web sites like Domain is patchy, then potential buyers may not take the matter further. If agents don’t bother replying to requests for further and better particulars then I think that the agents are derelict. Any views?

I agree. When looking for our own house my (now) wife would discount anything without a floorplan as there are too many options to choose from.

When we opened shop, while the advertising is up to the client, we always start with a minimum of 6 professional photos, a floorplan, we go on about 12 websites (including translation into mandarin and put on a Chinese portal), and a professional photo board.

As far as I know we are the only mob in Bendigo to do professional photos and a floorplan for all listings.

Have you seen www.investmyway.com.au ? They are new but are heading in the right direction.

I am not saying either we or investmyway are doing it right, but I think things are heading in the right direction.

Cheers

Ben

One main objective with property sites such as Domain is to match buyers and sellers. To do this, most sites have filters by location, type of property, number of bedrooms, price, etc. It was quite disappointing to see too many properties on the list without an address (available on request), map, floor plan, adequate internal photographs (3-4 pictures were typical), street views, likely rent and other information that I regard as essential before looking closer. (An approximate floor plan should be mandatory, as should an inspection.)

Enquiries were made about five properties which had no addresses, no map, no floor plan, no street view, and just two or three internal photographs. There was one reply, which did not provide any of the information sought. Not good.

It seems to me that the selling agents are doing their clients a disservice in that if information on web sites like Domain is patchy, then potential buyers may not take the matter further. If agents don’t bother replying to requests for further and better particulars then I think that the agents are derelict. Any views?

I can understand maybe not listing the actual address (even then what is there to hide, maybe a prospective buyer drives past and falls in love with the place), but every other available detail should be on the site. In this day and age the internet is your first and often last contact point with a potential buyer. It never ceases to amaze me when a property is listed with 1 photo and a generic blurb...I move onto the next very promptly..

I agree. When looking for our own house my (now) wife would discount anything without a floorplan as there are too many options to choose from.

She wouldn't be able to do that in QLD. The majority of ads don't have floorplans. I find them handy, but certainly don't discount those without. I don't know why more agents don't include them...

The first thing I look at in the ads is the floor plan - it gives you a quick idea of the dwelling size and the potential to capitalise the property.

The problem with giving the address out is that buyers make their judgment from the outside of the property. I have lost count of the amount of buyers who have brought homes they first didn’t like the “look” of. I guess the idea is to get the phone call along with the buyers details/criteria.

I’ll give you a quick semi-experiment I conducted a few years ago. For 3 months I advertised all my listings with the address, the next 3 months without address. Whilst advertising the properties without address I received 30% more enquiry (and I even had less listings in this time too). Also, my buyer data base increased by 20% meaning I had more buyers to contact when we listed a new property. I don’t care what anyone says, serious buyers always make the enquiry.

So although it may be annoying to some buyers, it’s just the way it is.

The problem with giving the address out is that buyers make their judgment from the outside of the property. I have lost count of the amount of buyers who have brought homes they first didn’t like the “look” of. I guess the idea is to get the phone call along with the buyers details/criteria.

I’ll give you a quick semi-experiment I conducted a few years ago. For 3 months I advertised all my listings with the address, the next 3 months without address. Whilst advertising the properties without address I received 30% more enquiry (and I even had less listings in this time too). Also, my buyer data base increased by 20% meaning I had more buyers to contact when we listed a new property.

So although it may be annoying to some buyers, it’s just the way it is.

How do you quantify those that didn't call? You can't. You have no idea how many potential buyers didn't call/buy because there was no address listed.

I don’t care what anyone says, serious buyers always make the enquiry.

lol. So if every poster on this forum told you buyers don't always call you will ignore it.

From your recent posts I conclude that you are living in the past. A past where agents were far more order seekers, today they are order takers.

How do you quantify those that didn't call? You can't. You have no idea how many potential buyers didn't call/buy because there was no address listed.

Really? Thought it was clear I was comparing different quarters with and without address (sorry if I didnt explain myself).Think I still have the figures on excel somewhere. Would you like me to send you the figures??

lol. So if every poster on this forum told you buyers don't always call you will ignore it.

I speak and deal with many more buyers and sellers compared to the few on this forum. I will listen to them. No disrespect to the members here, but they are not from my area, state or even country. However, I am an open-minded person and always take in what others suggest or advise.

From your recent posts I conclude that you are living in the past. A past where agents were far more order seekers, today they are order takers.

I only do what works. :)

Websites are designed for internet marketing and if there are misinformation or lack of information about the property chances areyou lost our potential buyers. Real estates should take this into consideration in the design phase of their property websites. Real estate agents can give suggestions to improve their exiting site which will benefit everyone.

It was suggested that posting an address and/or a floor plan on a web site is breach of security. I would have thought that getting details of people who inspect the property would have been a much higher risk, both from small thefts on the day and casing the place for a future burglary.

The more annoying thing is that the agents don't reply to email queries and some don't even return calls. I'm often shock at how bad the service is and glad I'm not the vendor.

The more annoying thing is that the agents don't reply to email queries and some don't even return calls. I'm often shock at how bad the service is and glad I'm not the vendor.

Agreed, we rang an agent recently, then emailed them..spoke with an agent..got the address..went and had a look at the property (it was a large acreage block with a large shed)..spoke with the agent while we were onsite re a few queries we had and have never heard from them since:eek:
I would have thought they would have followed up with a call to get our impressions and further discuss price etc :confused:

I wish WA was more up on the floorplan idea. Very very few listings have them - sometimes apartments (in particular OFP) and sometimes high end houses. The rest of them have no plans.

I could do research so much easier in WA if they did floorplans.

I speak and deal with many more buyers and sellers compared to the few on this forum. I will listen to them. No disrespect to the members here, but they are not from my area, state or even country. However, I am an open-minded person and always take in what others suggest or advise.

Interesting comments, I've heard the old chestnut about not providing addresses for many years now, and frankly it just doesn't wash. And as to Sydney being in another country, well they might like to think that at times....

OP. You are incorrect. Real estate websites are not to connect buyers with sellers. They are websites that REA's pay thousands of dollars a month to generate enquiry on their properties. They will put as much information as they feel necessary for you to enquire.

These sites are advertising sites- not information.

Big difference.

Back