Lamb at the kitchen table

This is something I've been observing for that past dozen odd years though some of it is from when I first came to Australia.

In 1988, the price of lamb was $1.99/kg and at some stage in the 90s jumped up significantly. While in Auckland in 2001, my brother-in-law who did his shopping old school going shop to shop in different suburbs to do his shopping asked the butcher why the lamb was so expensive. The answer plain and simple was that a good chunk of it was for export. The butchers got whatever quota they had worked out a deal for with their suppliers of which the cost was rising.

I noticed stories of Pacific island nations start to eat lamb flaps, which due the fat content was a cheap way to get lamb in the meal. It was affecting the health of its people so much that some nations banned the import altogether.

I had the crazy situation where running late, I popped over to an open butcher who were selling lamb bbq chops at $21/kg which was insane.

At the Westfields on the weekend, I noticed that there were more beef replacements of previously lamb dishes in some of the previous common dishes like Mongolian Lamb.

How do we get to buy lamb at good affordable prices that is of good quality? Looking at a bigger picture, is it possible to get some action at the national level?

At present, I have begun to eat more goat which is much cheaper and a family friend has bought a farm recently so I may be able to buy whole lamb which I can split with family members with regard to cost. Maybe buying bulk at Costoco is another option.

Going vegetarian is Not an Option :)

Only just picked up on Saturday a whole lamb butchered, packed, cutlets crumbed etc all for $7.50/kg from a butcher in Tamworth.

20kg $150 neat.
Top quality lamb I might add. Not too fat and yes, lamb not hoggett.

Get a freezer, go to the butcher and ask for a deal.

Had the shoulder roasted Sat night....yummo...! :)

Last edited:
I thought lamb price went through the roof when we had prolonged drought years ago. It went over $20/kg while beef was still around $10-$15.

I bought lamb loin chops from my local Vietnamese butcher on the weekend for $11.99/kg. Great quality (always is with those guys) and hadnt seen it that cheap for ages.

Where in Sydney are you Poe? You'll find prices vary a lot. Come down to sunny Marrickville, best butchers i've seen down here.

It also co-incided with the decline in the wool industry. Don't see nearly as many sheep around as one used to.

I too remember that lamb used to be the cheap meal - whilst chicken was for special due to cost. Now the roles are reversed.

We're planning on buying a lamb a year to have the roving butcher knock over. I do like a lamb chop (with crispy fat) but, at around $15 worth of meat for a family of three, it is a rare experience.

Where in Sydney are you Poe? You'll find prices vary a lot. Come down to sunny Marrickville, best butchers i've seen down here.

And they open on Sundays. I like being able to go out early on a Sunday morning and get a coffee and meat for Sunday night's roast.

Legs of lamb $9/kg at farmer jacks here. And they say Perth is expensive...

Btw goat or mutton have better flavour IMO if you're into low 'n slow roasting.

Get a freezer, go to the butcher and ask for a deal.

Yep - too right.

Butcher in most expensive suburb in Perth.....

Whole lambs - $ 7.80 / kg

Side of Beef - $ 7.50 / kg

Side of Pork - $ 8.00 / kg

The sell plenty of eye fillet steak beautifully presented in little packs for two for $ 42 / kg for all the people that pop in and buy one tiny little meal. We eat the identical same thing for $ 7.50 / kg.

Having a freezer saves a lot of money....without compromising on quality.

The sell plenty of eye fillet steak beautifully presented in little packs for two for $ 42 / kg for all the people that pop in and buy one tiny little meal. We eat the identical same thing for $ 7.50 / kg.

Having a freezer saves a lot of money....without compromising on quality.

Agree.

I mentioned Rib Eye steak because it is around $40 per kg at most places here, unless bought in bulk, however the prices quoted were non bulk, non special prices - wanted to indicate that price varies significantly and one can buy great quality at low prices if you bother to shop around, or do some research.

Btw, I have refused to buy overpriced and overrated Coles and Woolies stuff in the last few years - don't even bother with that part of the supermarket, when I do go there.

Btw, I have refused to buy overpriced and overrated Coles and Woolies stuff in the last few years - don't even bother with that part of the supermarket, when I do go there.

Looked at the meat section in Coles the other day and all the meat looked like from older and fatter animals and of much less quality.
particularly the lamb chops. They had alot of fat on them and that's after the fat had been trimmed...! They were also much larger than what I call "lamb" size.

If you know what to look for you would not buy from there.

The other thing is, a whole lamb is not that much meat, so I suggest getting it vacuum packed and resist freezing as this destroys quality to a certain extent.
Vacuum packing lasts a good 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge.

better still, get together with a friend or family and share a whole lamb.

We ended up with about 25 sausages from all the leftover bits and the bones placed in a separate bag for the dog. Poor bugger tho, not much left on those bones.

Sounds like a few people here need a coal spit roaster, if they haven't already got one.

Now I want lamb :(.

Looked at the meat section in Coles the other day and all the meat looked like from older and fatter animals and of much less quality.
particularly the lamb chops. They had alot of fat on them and that's after the fat had been trimmed...! They were also much larger than what I call "lamb" size.

If you know what to look for you would not buy from there.

The other thing is, a whole lamb is not that much meat, so I suggest getting it vacuum packed and resist freezing as this destroys quality to a certain extent.
Vacuum packing lasts a good 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge.

better still, get together with a friend or family and share a whole lamb.

We ended up with about 25 sausages from all the leftover bits and the bones placed in a separate bag for the dog. Poor bugger tho, not much left on those bones.

Most butchers recieve vacuseal as is, re-vacuum sealing them wouldn't be a good idea... Mr. Moo Cow was already dead weeks ago...

Not sure what you are talking about...?:confused:

We ordered in this lamb in, it was bought by the butcher as a whole carcass on the Wednesday fresh from abbotoir, hung in butchers cool room then cut up Friday arvo. We picked up sat morning.

This butcher vac seals in shop as they go. He rang up on the Friday to ask how we wanted it cut up. We asked for specific amounts of this and that vac packed the rest in freezer bags.

Having slaughtered our own meat many many times in the past and still do at times, you get to know freshness when you see it.

Let alone knowing the butcher as trustworthy.

Guess we are lucky.:cool:

We do all our lamb in a camp oven on the open fire.
Followed by damper to soak up the gravy.....:D

Sounds yum, but I'm wog, and think lamb, pepper/salt/olive oil/oregano/lemon basted spit roasted, is much better - eaten with tzatziki of course :p.

Geez, I think we need to stop this :eek:.

When are we invited Weg...? That sounds yum too...!!

Yeah, camp oven not much diff really, rub garlic and olive oil in with rosemary.

Chuck in the veges as well coated with more olive and garlic.

Give it a good browning first then pop the lid on and very very slow cook over coals. Usually about 4hrs all up.
When nearly ready, crack the lid and brown up further. Take out lamb and cover in foil. Brown up veges a bit more then serve.

melt in ya mouth ...;)

Who's not hungry? LOL

The big spit has long gone. Extended family have all had kids and gone their separate ways, so not as many to feed nowadays.

I remember the last time it was used an uncle brought it around to our place on a Thursday for Easter Sunday, set it up 'salted' on the spit (covered to keep the flies off it), supported by 2 chairs in my family room, and it stayed there for a few days in 30C heat.

Husband who's Australian and still getting used to these things at the time, thought it very unusual, but loved the end result :D.

It's a little Bunnings spit or Webber now, but still does the job if feeding up to a dozen (no seconds however, so best inviting less ;)).

Oh I have to agree weg...spit is great and webbers.

Had a few of those in the past.

Used to have community parties and one of the attendees had a couple of very large homemade spits. Full lamb along with a butt of beef and a pig on the other spit. A feast.

Those were the days before internet kept everybody home and liability insurance skyrocketed.

Know a little hall on a creek bank where I think they still have these dinners...TC...??

Back