Lance Armstrong

I don't know much about cycling but I definitely think they should re-award the titles to the people who got the furtherest while remaining clean, even if they were 10th place at the time. Just for the principle of it. I know that if I were in their position I'd be pretty annoyed as it's still an amazing achievement to get to that level internationally.

I get what some say about the "level playing field" but then where do you draw the line? Might as well develop some robots and watch them race.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19506621

I completely agree.

What a vindication it must be for those who didn't win but stayed clean. Kudos to them.

What a vindication it must be for those who didn't win but stayed clean. Kudos to them.

Yep. And vindication to those who refused to give in to the bullying and cajoling from Lance and his team. Kudos to Emma O'reilly, David Walsh and Greg LeMond, to name a couple who refused to get sucked in by the lies.

Originally Posted by cimbom
I don't know much about cycling but I definitely think they should re-award the titles to the people who got the furtherest while remaining clean, even if they were 10th place at the time. Just for the principle of it. I know that if I were in their position I'd be pretty annoyed as it's still an amazing achievement to get to that level internationally.

I get what some say about the "level playing field" but then where do you draw the line? Might as well develop some robots and watch them race.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19506621

I completely agree.

2005 Cadel Evans came 8th. The preceding 7 placings have all had either a 2 year or lifetime ban imposed on them at some stage in their careers.

Makes you think.......

pinkboy

I love cycling, I love watching the Tour De France every year.

Lance cheated, it was wrong, i watched him ride , I read his books for inspiration.

And you know what, he inspired me. Do I feel cheated now, Yes.

I believe the good that Lance has done far out weighs the bad.

Livestrong!

GG

I would say you are possibly correct, the good out weighs the bad.

Blinded by the power, nothing like Tiger Woods, but similar in many ways.

Just finished watching Part 1 Oprah interview, everytime someone accused him of cheating he just got the big guns and sued them, there were so many cases in the pipeline he could not recall who he was suing at any one time.

OH well, have to watch Part 2 now, maybe we get some tears in this one.

MTR

Blinded by the power, nothing like Tiger Woods, but similar in many ways.

Just finished watching Part 1 Oprah interview, everytime someone accused him of cheating he just got the big guns and sued them, there were so many cases in the pipeline he could not recall who he was suing at any one time.

OH well, have to watch Part 2 now, maybe we get some tears in this one.

MTR

Was it on Discovery Channel or the 'net?

Youtube Link

Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive - Part 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Oprah Winfrey's long-awaited interview with disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong aired tonight, and right off the bat Armstrong admitted that he was using performance-enhancing drugs for over a decade. He said that he used a number of substances over the years, and Winfrey asked Armstrong why he not only denied the doping charges, but he aggressively, adamantly denied them in news interviews.

Winfrey asked Armstrong directly, "did you ever take banned substances to enhance your cycling performance." He answered "yes." She asked if he could have realistically won the Tour de France seven times without the aid of performance-enhancing drugs. He said it was highly doubtful, explaining that he got hooked in the mid-90s.

Cont....

One tough act to follow

Would have to agree. For many, many sports, the very top levels are rife with drugs.

If you want to read a bit about it from someone that was there, "Positive" by Werner Reiterer - gives you some of the inside info. He was an elite discus thrower from Australia and it chronicles his story as a clean athlete, and then later going onto the juice after growing sick of being beaten by drug users.
I went to school with Werner and he was a natural
Always first.
It was a sad day to see him give up trying to beat the cheats and joining them
I still think he was right to blow the whistle

I agree Zapoix - he was a great thrower - I know - he used to beat me all the time at Nationals, even when he was clean!

Just goes to show the temptation when the rewards are there ($, fame, Olympic Gold, World records).... anyone will eventually have their price.

In Werner's case, he wanted to see whether the drugs were the difference between himself and the best in the world. And once he was throwing at their level, beating them and throwing world record distances in training, he gave up with an Olympic Gold in Sydney beckoning.

Took a lot of guts to stop in my book.

A very poignant part of his book (from memory) was after about 2-3 years on the 'juice' and following some incredible gains in size and strength, he realized he had developed that "1000 yard stare" - he has become a machine.

Saw what he had become in the mirror and didn't like it.

"The Project" were discussing Lance's admission last night, and then they interviewed one of Aus's cycling commentators (can't remember his name) and this guy stated that Lance only came out with what they already knew, and then added it would have been impossible for Lance to get to where he did without plenty of help.

Interesting to see what other exposures are to follow.

An interesting stat came forth as well; the sport had actually cleaned up its act, because according to this commentator, when Kadel Evans won the hill climb last year, had he have rode that time 10 or 12 years ago; he would have finished 45th.

An interesting stat came forth as well; the sport had actually cleaned up its act, because according to this commentator, when Kadel Evans won the hill climb last year, had he have rode that time 10 or 12 years ago; he would have finished 45th.

I saw that as well (I think it was Keenan) I dont think it was even Cadel, it was the fastest that day that would have come in around 40, he also said Cadels' times up Alp d'Huez has not changed much over the years. If he was doping he must have been using the homebrand stuff...

Must say I like the "new" human tour, last year was boring but Cadels' win was a truly riveting race from start to finish. It is actually humans riding now who can have bad days and lose the race.

I would like to see how some other sports would hold up under the UCIs testing regime. I heard Baseball actually has a clause to say theywont be tested in their contract...

Must say I like the "new" human tour, last year was boring but Cadels' win was a truly riveting race from start to finish. It is actually humans riding now who can have bad days and lose the race.

We've been watching the tour for a few years now, and I didn't find last year's boring at all. But I've tried to watch other races, and for me, a lot of the attraction is that Phil Liggett and the others do such great commentary (except the chap with the horrible surf shirts who looks like he has never ridden a bike and always is interviewed at the end of the stages - cannot recall his name).

I sat through a bit of one of the races in Adelaide which was around a large circuit. I found that boring and the commentary was terrible. I switched off. But I love Le Tour de France and cannot get enough of it. Hubby too.

I'l be devastated if "my Andy" (Schleck) is ever shown to have doped. Frank has been caught, so I do wonder... but I'll stick with him as my favourite.

I always knew this fella Armstrong was as fake as a $20 Rolex in a Bangkok back street.

And another thing, he never walked on the moon, only a movie studio. Lets wait and see what he has to say about that!

MTR

Not a cycling fan either, but on the fence about whether the good Lance has done outweighs the bad. All the broken dreams of those cyclists that remained clean, the sacrifices of their respective families for years and years to support them.

Live strong ... on dope! :(

Not a cycling fan either, but on the fence about whether the good Lance has done outweighs the bad. All the broken dreams of those cyclists that remained clean, the sacrifices of their respective families for years and years to support them.

Live strong ... on dope! :(

Mentioned this today to a friend, his answer was many successful sports stars also have charities they support.

I had to stop watching part 2 today coz it got back to him, feeding his ego and naracistic personality, enough said for me, I hope something good comes from this.....

Mentioned this today to a friend, his answer was many successful sports stars also have charities they support.

I had to stop watching part 2 today coz it got back to him, feeding his ego and naracistic personality, enough said for me, I hope something good comes from this.....

I was quite touched by how he was clearly very upset when his children came up, and the affect of his lies on them in the school yard and socially. I got the impression if he didn't have children, he would be less concerned. He didn't seem to be concerned that he was hurting journalists, team mates, old friends or anybody else but now his son is 13 and his twins are 11 (and the two children too young to even understand this as yet) and they are old enough to understand that their dad is a lier and a cheat, that really seemed to upset him.

I actually thought the interview was quite good. He didn't say he was a changed man in many ways, and was quite honest about things. I'd like to see him offer to hand back the money earned by suing people he knew were right all along and hand back the prize monies and bonuses. That would go a long way for me in believing he is truly sorry, and not just sorry he was caught. Blind Freddy could see he was never going to get away with it for ever.

The Tyler Hamilton book was a good read and I have several more books on the way. It is interesting how people want to punish Lance more than other riders, and I believe the major difference is the huge wealth he has accumulated - way more than the other riders who have been caught, served suspensions and melted back into cycling. That, and the way he has thrown old friends under the bus in order to keep up the pretence. That is so lame. Lance had so much more to lose by owning up to what he did than any other rider it seems but his insistence on his having never doped was becoming laughable. He could not keep it up.

I respect him a little more after the interview actually (but he is coming off a low starting point in the eyes of many).

Back