Lance Armstrong

I think you will find it is still on WADA banned list irrespective if it is performance enhancing or not.

pinkboy

Yes but the principle behind banning cocaine is different from EPO. It is false to say 'oh they are both banned substances so they are equivalent'...????

I think you will find it is still on WADA banned list irrespective if it is performance enhancing or not.

pinkboy

Yep, but just like that American swimmer who was caught smoking pot, it is a vastly different situation.

Actually, anyone who wins a sporting competition with pot in their system deserves an additional medal.

There's no denying that Lance Armstrong took on cancer and won. His attitude of being a winner 'whatever the cost" seems to be evident in all parts of his life.

This is a trait that is not just in sport but everywhere. If somebody really believes that they are a winner and will do whatever it takes to achieve the outcome they want, then they will probably succeed.

The Australian business landscape is littered with those that had exactly the same belief and the line between national hero and dispised villian can be a very narrow one.

There's no denying that Lance Armstrong took on cancer and won. His attitude of being a winner 'whatever the cost" seems to be evident in all parts of his life.

This is a trait that is not just in sport but everywhere. If somebody really believes that they are a winner and will do whatever it takes to achieve the outcome they want, then they will probably succeed.

The Australian business landscape is littered with those that had exactly the same belief and the line between national hero and dispised villian can be a very narrow one.

I believe he probably did have cancer. Testicular cancer is common.

But people beat cancer all the time because it is beatable. They beat it because they have not been riddled with it (unlike Lance).

Testicular cancer is beatable in 90% of cases.

Winner at 'whatever the cost' is why I think it's possible he over exaggerated the extent of it. 'whatever the cost' has been his downfall!

Not only his seven Toure de France victories were nullified and a lifetime banned but he has asked to return to Texas insurance company $7.5M
One of the most shameful episodes in sports history.

I went on a cycling holiday in France a few years back.

Unbeknownst to me it was when the Tour De France was one. It didn't inconvenience me much, I was just pottering along, visiting wineries and having a great time. I stayed out of there way as much as possible, and tended to push my bike up the steep hills.

Imagine my surprise last night when I got the knock on the door and it turns out that I am the new 2004 Tour De France winner!

I went on a cycling holiday in France a few years back.

Unbeknownst to me it was when the Tour De France was one. It didn't inconvenience me much, I was just pottering along, visiting wineries and having a great time. I stayed out of there way as much as possible, and tended to push my bike up the steep hills.

Imagine my surprise last night when I got the knock on the door and it turns out that I am the new 2004 Tour De France winner!

:D:D:D

You had too much alcohol in your urine sample and were disqualified too.

You're missing the point. It's not a performance enhancing drug, like EPO or HGH, or steriods which are SPECIFICALLY used to enhance performance.

Not to the same extent I guess but it is always good to be more awake when you play.:D

When you are Maradona, you don't need performance enhancing BTW.

haha - as pointed out to me today - Nike dropped Lance Armstrong, but didn't drop Tiger Woods.

Apparently it's okay to cheat on your wife - but not on your bike

haha - as pointed out to me today - Nike dropped Lance Armstrong, but didn't drop Tiger Woods.

Apparently it's okay to cheat on your wife - but not on your bike

Dont get me started on riding bikes and wife......already sitting on the sidelines here on SS for a light hearted joke!:mad:

pinkboy

I love cycling, I love watching the Tour De France every year.

Lance cheated, it was wrong, i watched him ride , I read his books for inspiration.

And you know what, he inspired me. Do I feel cheated now, Yes.

I believe the good that Lance has done far out weighs the bad.

Livestrong!

GG

Frankly I think they should do away with the "level playing field, no drugs in sport" farce and just admit they are rife and have at it. The playing fields are not level now due to training methods, funding, technology etc etc etc so what is one more thing?
No they shouldn't.. one reason being - drugs aren't too healthy for you. Lance started pumping testosterone, cortisone, epo and took blood transfusions back in 95.. pretty good chance they were the cause of his cancer in 97.

The racing circuit should be a level playing field. The UCI puts restrictions on bike specs so the bikes the pros use are available to the general public. Sure it would be $15k to replicate the top models, but $5k will get you pretty close. A quick google search will let you know the pros dietry in take. You can even see what Wiggins eats for breakfast from the Team Sky website. Training methods aren't rocket science.. most people have access to hills and if you'd like to try altitude training you could move to La Paz (bolivia) and live for a fraction of the cost of Australia.

I'd really like to see Lance confess his sins and face perjury, repay his winnings, sponsorships and make a few apologies to all of his followers and his fellow cyclists who took the stand of not taking drugs but had their careers ruined..

Last year Cadel Evans was pushing like a man possessed and came out on top. Good for him....I hope. This year I watched it again, and he was flatter than a pancake. His junior riders who were supposed to be setting the pace for him left him for dead and he simply couldn't catch up. They had to drop back everytime just to find out how far back he was.

I did hear on the news last week during a Lance Armstrong news item that the dobbers were asked if Cadel Evans took drugs and they swore that he never did - he was/is one of the clean ones. Can't think of a reason why they'd lie about him so maybe it's true.

Was the Imran Khan scandal as big? I remember other cricketers were shocked when he got caught as they'd always thought he was straighty 180.

He bounced back though didn't he - politics isn't it?

I'm surprised I can even participate in this conversation as I'm not interested in cycling or cricket, but you can't escape the LA story and I used to think Imran Khan was a bit of a spunk so remember that story. :p

I can see a few people subscribe to the Mr. Burns school of thought:

"I’ve always felt that there’s far too much hysteria these days about so-called cheating. If you can take advantage of a situation in some way, it’s your duty as an American to do it. Why should the race always be to the swift or the jumble to the quick-witted? Should they be allowed to win merely because of the gifts God gave them? Well, I say cheating is the gift man gives himself!"

The new UCI mascot :confused:

Back