Landlord insurance for private lessor

Just thought i would let you guys know that our agent had major issues with EBM over the past year. One of the things they said to me was that they dont pay out rent cover when they should and claims are being knocked back. They also use Terri Scheer and said they are great. They are moving all property on the books over to Terri Scheer.

Would also be good to know if anyone else has had any claims knocked back by EBM or Terri Scheer.

Just thought i would let you guys know that our agent had major issues with EBM over the past year. One of the things they said to me was that they dont pay out rent cover when they should and claims are being knocked back. They also use Terri Scheer and said they are great. They are moving all property on the books over to Terri Scheer.

Would also be good to know if anyone else has had any claims knocked back by EBM or Terri Scheer.

I would be more than happy to receive details of the claims you are referring to, if you would like to private message me the agents details I will have any disputed claims reviewed and be happy to post the results showing why they have been settled that way, or if any errors have occurred have them corrected.

Without any information it is impossible to say much at all.

Unfortunately insurance is always going to be a controversial product and there will be some occasions where people believe they have not had claims settled correctly. What I will say however is that it is one of the most regulated products that exist, and there is a very clear review process available if you believe you have not received the correct amount. Claims are settled by a very strict procedure, based on very detailed wordings, but that’s not to say errors can’t physically occur, but sometimes people have expectations to receive payouts for things that are simply not covered by insurance (such as maintenance and renovations). There are also occasions when poor property management procedures can impact upon what can be paid, and it gets down to “better to blame it on the Insurer”.

The one thing I can stand very firmly on is EBM’s claim settlement record, it doesn’t mean for a second that there is never a mistake, and it doesn’t mean that everyone is always happy, that’s the nature of insurance. But it does mean that claims are settled promptly and fairly. EBM have paid out in excess of $12 million in claims in the last 12 months and this area is the strongest aspect of the policy.

If you can provide me with any evidence of incorrect claim settlements I will more than happily have them corrected, but unsubstantiated statements like this, particularly second hand, really get to me as I know how good our record is.

In fact we receive many reviews regarding our service, including claims, from both landlords and property managers who are more than happy to put their name to them. You can see these on our review page.

I will look forward to receiving the claim or agent details from you.

I reviewed many of the insurers last year and I found the specialty ones had the most fine print and lack of cover when you really got into it ...depending on what cover you were looking for. EBM coverage...what Brett told me was covered was not what was written into policy. If push comes to shove, the policy wording is all that you can rely on.

I reviewed many of the insurers last year and I found the specialty ones had the most fine print and lack of cover when you really got into it ...depending on what cover you were looking for. EBM coverage...what Brett told me was covered was not what was written into policy. If push comes to shove, the policy wording is all that you can rely on.

What you are referring to here I believe was a very specific circumstance in relation to situations whilst the property was untenanted. In the overall scheme of things the specialty policies (a generalisation) include substantially more cover in claims that actually occur, in my opinion. I would welcome taking a look at any comparisons that would suggest otherwise.

Back