Landlords Insurance Rejection...Where to next?

Hi All

I have a property in Kempsey, which as many people here may have experience, gets damaged at every opportunity. Aside from damage i have had the last 3 tenants take off while owing rent. I have made a few insurance claims and now the insurer wants nothing to do with me.

I initiated a quote with another insurer but was denied as this is one of the criteria which means they dont want to touch you with a 10ft pole.

Has anyone been through this or do you have a way around it?

Thanks for the help
Michael

Will you consider selling?

If you expect these issues to be ongoing, is there a high potential upside at all to this investment to offset all the issues?

Is it a house? Maybe try a broker or one of the standard house insurance mobs that package in landlords. Otherwise, try the lender - they're usually tripping over themselves to offer you insurance.

Will you consider selling?

If you expect these issues to be ongoing, is there a high potential upside at all to this investment to offset all the issues?

Its is returning good rent but each tenant ruins the place and to be honest it is a blemish on the portfolio. Id off load if I could get near what I bought it for as I feel prices have gone backward. Pricefinder doesnt have many comparables from this year. Either way im expecting a sales appraisal this week.

Is it a house? Maybe try a broker or one of the standard house insurance mobs that package in landlords. Otherwise, try the lender - they're usually tripping over themselves to offer you insurance.

I didnt think of the lender! Might give them a try.

Cheers for the responses team.

Michael

I thought this, but one of the first questions the ask is if you have been refused insurance or made multiple claims.

Sure, but aren't premiums calculated based on risk.
So, if the normal premium for your property is 2k/annum, they might still offer, just at a higher rate.
Unless being refused insurance precludes you full stop.
sort of like how having a criminal record barring you entry from certain countries.

Sure, but aren't premiums calculated based on risk.
So, if the normal premium for your property is 2k/annum, they might still offer, just at a higher rate.
Unless being refused insurance precludes you full stop.
sort of like how having a criminal record barring you entry from certain countries.

It seems to be enough for them to halt the whole process. A few of the online quoting sites boot you straight out and say "we are sorry but we can't insure this property"

It seems to be enough for them to halt the whole process. A few of the online quoting sites boot you straight out and say "we are sorry but we can't insure this property"

Try calling them.
I did that once to get a larger-than-normal amount of insurance for my contents (thought I'd rather over-insure than under). The person at the call centre had to ask her supervisor for permission to insure for that much.
Might work for you too.
Have you called. EBM? I spoke to them last week and can't recall if they asked me that question. They didn't ask much.

Try calling them.
I did that once to get a larger-than-normal amount of insurance for my contents (thought I'd rather over-insure than under). The person at the call centre had to ask her supervisor for permission to insure for that much.
Might work for you too.
Have you called. EBM? I spoke to them last week and can't recall if they asked me that question. They didn't ask much.

It was EBM who refused me insurance in the first place!

It was EBM who refused me insurance in the first place!
They might be more conservative, or offer fixed terms and conditions
Try again - keep trying!
If there are low-doc and no-doc loans, there must be insurance out there for you!
Just a matter of pricing for the insurer to cover the level of risk they're taking on, isn't it?

I've been trying to tell people here forever to not use insurance when you can claim it from the tenant.

Sure it is easier, but there will come a time, after too many claims, when the insurance companies will have nothing to do with you, or increase your premiums so high, it may not be worth it.

Stop taking the easy way out.
Start making tenants liable.
When this happens, the tenants learn there are consequences to their actions, and it should slow down (it will never stop)

I've been trying to tell people here forever to not use insurance when you can claim it from the tenant.

Unfortunately tenancy laws limit the tenant's liability to the bond ie 4 weeks rent (absolute maximum). It doesn't go far if they are a couple of weeks behind, then you apply to the tribunal, wait for the hearing date, get vacant possession and it is damaged/full of cr@p etc.

Unfortunately tenancy laws limit the tenant's liability to the bond ie 4 weeks rent (absolute maximum). It doesn't go far if they are a couple of weeks behind, then you apply to the tribunal, wait for the hearing date, get vacant possession and it is damaged/full of cr@p etc.

Yes, I know.
(In our province we can only collect 1/2 months rent and some provinces don't permit you to collect any)

That doesn't change the fact, that you can go after the tenant for all damages and rental arrears.

Maybe that is why some SSer's think we are 'mean'...we don't have insurance that will cover this type of stuff.
We go after the tenants, and they are held responsible.

We have used our property insurance once, since 2004...when the tenant burned down a house of ours.
Tenants had tenant insurance long enough to show us, and then cancelled it.

Sure it is easier, but there will come a time, after too many claims, when the insurance companies will have nothing to do with you, or increase your premiums so high, it may not be worth it.

Stop taking the easy way out.
Start making tenants liable.
When this happens, the tenants learn there are consequences to their actions, and it should slow down (it will never stop)

thats really going to go down well isnt it!!

oh mr/miss tenant, the repair bill for all the holes you made, destroyed kitchen, cigarette marks, tons of rubbish, plus unpaid rent, unpaid utitlites
comes to a grand total of $10k, how would you like to pay for it???

even if you take them to tribunal, if they dont leave a fwding adress, you are boned,
get them to court, you cant get blood from stone,

so chances are they will pay back $5 per week for 20 years!1

Back