landlords insurance

I would appreciate any recommendations for a good landlords insurance policy. I have 9 IP'S in NSW. Already use NRMA (however $10,000 maximum for malicious damage concerns me), CGU (a bit expensive) & GIO (problems with a claim - my only claim with any company).

Keep away from the bank ones, they lack many features and do not provide full cover.

Terry Scheer is the most comprehensive and complete landlords policy I have seen to date.

I recently renewed my landlord insurance policies from NRMA to Honan (http://www.honan.com.au/).

They are budget insurance providers. So they have a bare minimum with no bells and whistles. Hence, they were the most competitive. It works for me.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Keep away from the bank ones, they lack many features and do not provide full cover.

Terry Scheer is the most comprehensive and complete landlords policy I have seen to date.

Agreed. Try Terri Scheer or EBM. EBM has no excess for loss of rent which is a big plus.

Check what their coverage is for each event and what excess is.

I am going to sound like a Rentcover salesman but (due to the number of times I have posted this)..... EBM. Claimed many times (they must hate me by now).

Cheers,

The Y-man

I found GIO very good - though I see you've had an issue.

Switched this year, so we shall see (SGIO) as I couldn't get GIO to come to the party on price.

AAMI treated me very well on a claim a couple of years ago...One phone call and all was done (This was a sewerage backup into the house...covered the insides everywhere as well as the tenants!!!)
For multiple tenants in one bldg recently went with Fire and General. No idea if we need to make a claim though, how they will be.

JB

I am going to sound like a Rentcover salesman but (due to the number of times I have posted this)..... EBM. Claimed many times (they must hate me by now).

Cheers,

The Y-man

Y-Man, do you mind saying which package you have? PM if you're not comfortable posting.

Hi Xenia,

How have you found them with processing claims? All easy?

I've only had one claim via Allianz (NAB). It all went well, but I haven't done a full analysis if I'm getting my best bang for buck.

I'm about to review all 4 of my policies.

David.

Rentcover Ultra.

Cheers,

The Y-man

So you don't have building or contents cover? I'm sure I'm mis-understanding here, but that seems strange to me. I know you don't want to cover the tenants contents, but I thought carpet etc came under the title of 'contents' too?

So you don't have building or contents cover? I'm sure I'm mis-understanding here, but that seems strange to me. I know you don't want to cover the tenants contents, but I thought carpet etc came under the title of 'contents' too?

We have separate building cover (most of our IP's are apartments, but had a sep building ins for the house)

Carpet (and curtains/blinds) is covered by ultra - although a "max limit" clause applies (see page 7 of PDS).

Cheers,

The Y-man

We have separate building cover (most of our IP's are apartments, but had a sep building ins for the house)

Carpet (and curtains/blinds) is covered by ultra - although a "max limit" clause applies (see page 7 of PDS).

Cheers,

The Y-man

Can I ask who you have your building cover with? :eek:

Surely you'd get a better deal if you get building + tenant insurance?

I thought they'd only offer 2 types -

1. Tenant + contents insurnace (strata)
2. Tenant + contents + building insurance

But it seems you have to get two lots of insurance if you want the 2nd type.

Still getting a premium from Terry S.

For EBM, type 1 is $255 and type 2 is $565.68 on my $200k brick building. Currently I only pay $462 with Allianz but no doubt the cover isn't quite as comprehensive.

Thank you for your enquiry, please see below:

RE: Residential Building Insurance Quote for the following property;

The quotation for your building insurance is as follows:

Sum Insured $200,000 = $576.98 or $549.67 if you purchase the Landlord Preferred Policy as well for $275.00 per annum

Should you have any queries regarding the above, please do not hesitate to call 1800 804 016 and we will be happy to assist you.

Please note this written quote is valid for 14 days only from the date on this letter.

Thank you for considering Terri Scheer Insurance.

$824.67 for Building + LL Contents + Tenant insurance for 1 property? Seems expensive.

Thanks everyone for feedback. I did further research and will go with EBA or Terri Scheer with property purchases this year. I did use GIO again for property purchase at end of last year - lower premiuim but as I said I have found them not good for small claims. I'll review that premium this year also.
Harry

Best deal I've found is Lumleys via Whitbread Insurance Brokers in Melbourne. Better value than EBM, CGU and Westpac (was with all at different stages).

Back