• Probably ok

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Probably not ok

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I also think it looks great. A relative has a front yard that doesn't get much sun and gets muddy with no grass growing. They replaced the entire front yard with it and it looks great plus low maintenance. They also have a fountain in the middle of it surrounded by garden beds.

Why Why Why ?

Make some extra wide garden beds with drought tolerant plants and mulch well.
AND ....

Gimme real grass anyday. Nothing better than looking at a freshly mowed patch of green. It takes maybe 2 hrs out of one day a week. With all the labour saving devices available, it's not even hard yakka any more.

Call me old fashioned but what is the world coming to using artificial crapola for every problem ever known to man ... sheesh!!

Get rid of the tenants, if they are too lazy to get off their butt. I bet the inside is a disaster too.

Why Why Why ?

AND ....

Gimme real grass anyday. Nothing better than looking at a freshly mowed patch of green. It takes maybe 2 hrs out of one day a week. With all the labour saving devices available, it's not even hard yakka any more.

Call me old fashioned but what is the world coming to using artificial crapola for every problem ever known to man ... sheesh!!

Get rid of the tenants, if they are too lazy to get off their butt. I bet the inside is a disaster too.

How many tenants are prepared to put in 2 hours a week on someone else's property? With water restrictions imposed my backyard looks in poor shape without my attention.The thread isn't about a PPR its about an investment property.
It has been mentioned that distinguishing the difference between synthetic and real isn't so easy with the current generation of artificial grass.Just because something is artificial doesn't necessarily make it crap.

Why Why Why ?

AND ....

I think you are being very judgemental. I note that you live in Qld - there are parts of Oz where even drought tolerant plants are dying because there has been no rain to speak of for a very long time and the only other source of water is so saline that it barely sustains life. I would rather have a bit of "artificial crapola" in my neck of the woods if the aethestics are improved by it and the dust is kept down. Everybody I know would prefer real grass but , hey, real grass doesn't grow around here anymore.

Have a nice day.

A friend of mine just did his front and rear lawns with it.

I haven't seen it yet but he said it looks ok.

I've seen the off cuts and it looks good.

His front lawn is a no traffic area the back is low traffic.

they told him it should wear well.

the rear has pavers and grass in one section.

about 120 sqaure meters in total , he did it all hinmself and cost about 6or 7K.

A friend of mine just did his front and rear lawns with it.

I haven't seen it yet but he said it looks ok.

I've seen the off cuts and it looks good.

His front lawn is a no traffic area the back is low traffic.

they told him it should wear well.

the rear has pavers and grass in one section.

about 120 sqaure meters in total , he did it all hinmself and cost about 6or 7K.

Have you seen it yet?
What distance away were you when you realised it was artificial?

I spoke to a friend on the weekend who had it installed over paving as they thought it would be better for their kids to play on. What they didn't count on was how hot it gets in the hot weather, they have found that the kids cannot play on it.

I spoke to a friend on the weekend who had it installed over paving as they thought it would be better for their kids to play on. What they didn't count on was how hot it gets in the hot weather, they have found that the kids cannot play on it.

Are these toddlers running around in bare feet?I believe a crushed earth base is recommend, probably for the example you have given.....but i am just guessing

seriously considering it as Melbourne does not get the rainfall to keep the real stuff alive.
FWIW the good stuff is as expensive as paving.
pieman

i hate the crap.

we can;t make plastic bags that biodegrade so lets roll them up, dye them green and sell them as astroturf.

astroturf needs to wet to avoid injury on as well - look at hockey fields etc, they're always watered before use because if you fall over on it, you lose a lot of skin.

i hate the crap.

we can;t make plastic bags that biodegrade so lets roll them up, dye them green and sell them as astroturf.

astroturf needs to wet to avoid injury on as well - look at hockey fields etc, they're always watered before use because if you fall over on it, you lose a lot of skin.
Bluecard, thanks for your input.
I think you missed the point of the start of the thread.
I am only referring to a rental property.
I wouldn't lay this for a PPR , since i can easily maintain my own garden and lawn. I tend to steer away from plastic as much as possible as well.

For a rental property to be maintained , with a 5year life for tax deductions , to encourage tenants who don't need to maintain a backyard I thought synthetic grass would be more attractive to tenants , than not.
Just an added advantage come lease renewal time.
As tenant it would be great for me as I certainly don't want to put effort into other people's backyards. As an owner I don't mind a nice natural green grass

As I stated before , its not what I think , but what tenants would think .

After getting a lot of input from you folks I have decided to put in natural grass,though I think it would not look as bad as some suggset.

One concern I found out is that if driven over the material can easily be pulled apart.

For drought stricken Brisbane I am not sure what grass is suitable.

I am looking for a reputable supplier and COMPETANT installer of grass for the Pine rivers area, 17km North of Brisbane for an investment property.

I think the installer part is probably more critical
Coverage is around 250sq m.

There s a 5000 litre tank.

It would need to be laid as well.

Given the drought conditions we have been through it has been suggested I select Buffalo grass or Sir Walter.
The names don't mean much .

As I am not in qld I cant landscape myself .
What suggestions do you have

Given the drought conditions we have been through it has been suggested I select Buffalo grass or Sir Walter.

Sir Walter IS a Buffalo grass :D

Good choice, very little maintenance required and once established very little watering. I feed mine twice a year, water it once a week in summer and don't bother watering in winter. Get someone to cut it every 4 weeks in summer and once every 3 months in winter.

As mentioned previously - the artificial stuf (no matter how well installed) gets too hot for use in summer if in direct sun. I know it was looked at for several organisations that use dogs for various uses (police etc) for the dogs kennels, they found it got to over 50 degrees in canberra (not direct sun even).

I just installed some fake grass two weeks ago in the backyard my PPOR. It looks great, and suits the backyard very well. It is in a 2 bed townhouse, with backyard being a 7x7 courtyard. Have paved about half, fake grass half with some garden beds around the outside. It has transformed the whole look and feel, and we enjoy spending timeout there now, my 2yo daughter especially like it.

It does get hot in direct sunlight in theheight of summer - but do you really want your kids playing in those sorts of temps? I have put up a shade sail to create a cooler for sitting and playing. Also once the direct sun is off the grass it cools down quickly.

Overall i would say it has been worth it for me, and am very happy with it.

Sir Walter is an excellent turf and is very shade tolerant, however it does grow quite quickly and needs mowing at least every second week in summer.
Steve Jones is the best landscape supplier on the northside of Brissie, they will suggest someone for you.

Hi, I'm a bit late getting to this discussion but just wanted to add something. On a summer's day last year we spent a lovely afternoon having a BBQ at a friends place. Now they were renting a place with fake grass but also had a plastic playground set up for the kids.

Not only did the grass get hot (and give off that plasticy smell, almost melting?) but the kids got really static running around on it. So this is a hot dry day in Melbourne and other areas might be different but that was my experience of it. :p

Something just dosen't sit right with the whole fake grass thing with me.

By the way we were once tenants and took pride in looking after the property well. Why force the landlord to put up the rent so they can pay a gardener? It's not hard to mow a lawn, pull a few weeds etc.
Can't get over the laziness of some ppl. Ugh and I'm going to be a landlord one day.:rolleyes:

if your fussy like me, then forget the artificial grass of any type.

Dogs: they leave dog hair, often hard to remove..

if they crap on it, nightmare to remove properly and get rid of the smell entirely..takes days...

laying grass on non reinforced ground ie concrete isnt the greatest after a short period..

also you have to consider the drainage issue...takes ages for any water to evaporate usually......

Generally artificial grass is just that, artificial in my opinion...

Be way easier to outlay the money and concrete an area and either paint it or leave it as just concrete..............a mate of mine lived a block or so away from a concrete batching plant..he called them up and said any extra concrete available the drivers could dump it in his yard...over 12 months he concreted his whole yard in sections...looks a treat now actually!

personally i prefer the real option: quality turf that is drought tollerant, there are several in the market to investigate...trick though is not to mow a lawn low in summer...good luck

Back