Lap Pool

Finally, after months of engineering plans, council red tape, and lots of planning, drawing, dreaming (and saving), our 25m lap pool finally got stamped plans today! Yay!

Our PPOR dream is now nearly complete!

My daughter wants a pool party in early April, so the deadline has been set!

Pinkboy!

I will be doing a lot of the labour myself, with the builder guiding me as we go along. This gives him to opportunity to keep an eye on it and help me when he can.

I can lay blocks, render, waterproof, tile/pave and tie steel - so there is a lot of labour intensive work that I can save if I just plod along doing a couple hours in the afternoon and on weekends and if work permits, take a few days here and there to get some more done if I get on a roll!

Works out to be about 1600 blocks, 180m2 of waterproofing/tiling, 50m2 of paving (+ stairs), 47m2 of render, few tonnes of concrete and steel, 50+ l/m fencing, plumbing, electrical and all the earthworks. Will be a great work in progress to tie it all together!

Going to go all out and get the self cleaning system too, and all the other whiz bangs that go with a pool, might as well if Im going to this extent!

Cant wait!

pinkboy

You better get that waterproofing right! :p

Good luck with it! time to aim for the big island again? could this become the start of serious training? :eek: You might show up to Yeppoon 70.3 this year and have trained! not possible ;)

Go for it - I remember my dad building out pool when we were kids. Similar to yours. Machine dug, steels, slab bottom, concrete block (with extension joints), water sealed - but he pool painted it instead of tiled.

You better get that waterproofing right! :p

Good luck with it! time to aim for the big island again? could this become the start of serious training? :eek: You might show up to Yeppoon 70.3 this year and have trained! not possible ;)

Apparently Im a trained 'professional'. Some people take 4 years to get thier trade papers - I got mine in a 4 hour interview with a trainer assessor who signed me off my trade. I got the certificate about 4 weeks later.

The grand plan is to go back to Hawaii to have another crack. I have some unfinished business there, plus Im now at an age where I can really get fast. I can swim ok, but the extra fitness you gain from swimming gives me greater capacity to take further time off my bike/run.

Im heading to IM Texas in May, and will be in Yeppoon in August for the annual trek down! This year Clint Barnes didnt make it - so I am officially the only person to complete every Yeppoon half Ironman!

pinkboy

Happy pool building! We've had pools in 3 of our PPOR's and love them for the kids. Mind you, when it's just the two of us I think I'd skip them altogether in favour of a tranquil garden space and maybe a veggie patch :D

Thursday 12 January: yard cleared!
Thurs/Fri 19/20 January: holes dug out for pool, footings dug down!
Tuesday 24 January: pool marked out, small amount of steel tied!
Wednesday 25: footings poured!
Today, Thursday 26: marked out heights, started laying the first course of blocks! 3 more days in a row of laying blocks to go - I'll have to go to work next week to have a break!

Photos to come when I get my Internet back up and running on my laptop.

Pinkboy...if I keep a diary, it will spur me on to finish the damn thing!

Relay races at the pool party!
ready, set, go!

Will your new pool be tiled in "pink"???? :p

Filled with pink lemonade.
Flamingoes! Real ones. Oh, pul-eese say they are included.

Photos to come when I get my Internet back up and running on my laptop.

Pinkboy...if I keep a diary, it will spur me on to finish the damn thing!

If you are going to put up photos, can we please have one of you? The teeth and piercings sound interesting :D.

haha - I've done that on SS ... start a "latest project" thread. Problem is that I get so busy "doing" that I forget to take photos and post updates.

I have been posting photos on Facebook daily, but only from my phone. When I (finally) go back to my workshop on Monday, I'll post some up!

It's hard yakka, but great fun doing a project of this size! My last one was tiling my fence with sandstone!

Pinkboy

Didnt make it!

So I didnt make it in time for Kona's Birthday (my wife has Plan B all organized).

Time delays including a few weeks at work, a couple weeks of rain and an unforseen medical mishap on my part had slowed me up!

So all the blocks/steel/concrete/render/pipework/waterproofing complete. Tiling is 75% complete, but I now have to go out to work for 10 days.

While Im away the pool builder should get the yard completely flat again, complete the external concrete around the pool, stairs etc - ready for me to pave and fence and the 25% tiling/grouting still left in the pool. I also have some very nice sandstone slabs (same cut/colour as pavers) which will be the water feature backdrop that I have to carefully dowel, install and cut the water feature in.

Then there is the turf and the external fencing and all done (until my next project :D - which I am already planning :cool:)

pinkboy

Back