Large Suitcase recommendations

Has anyone bought a suitcase recently and can recommend a brand they're happy with? Looking for a large suitcase (approx. 80cm). Brands I'm looking at are: Flylite, Antler, American Tourister...probably pay about $180. Most of the suitcases appear to be always on sale so a $300 suitcase at 40% discount is $180

What's it for? Be careful with size if flying, there are differences between international and domestic.

Strand Bags has a good range, most of the above plus their house brand. Basically, the lighter the case the more expensive it is. A lighter case, particularly for cabin luggage, means more contents for you: out of 7 kg total a cheap case might be over 3 kg. A light case might be 2 kg but will be a LOT more expensive.

Thanks Vaughan. Going to buy something for my Folks - they're starting to do a bit of travel; won't be for flying though - just train or bus trips.

My only concern with the "light" suitcases is the strength of them particularly if you have about 10-20kg of weight in them as well, but I'm finding that most of the suitcases today are "light" or the exterior shell seems a bit flimsy but it states that they're quite strong

I recently bought two large suitcases for overseas travel. I bought them at my local DFO. I loved the American Tourister, Samsonite and a couple of other better brands that had the hard cases (which are still pretty light). But in the end I bought an unknown brand. Every time I fly the suitcases gets bashed around pretty badly and the technology keeps getting better, so I thought, 'Why bother spending a lot of money on something that will get bashed up?' The suitcases did pretty well considering all they went through. They were really light and had the four wheels, which I think is really important.

I got some Samsonite cases over 25 years ago.

Now been round the world over 10 times and still standing up to aircraft baggage handlers.

Last year one of the catches broke and Samsonite replaced it free!

Initially expensive but have proved to be great value!

I never spend much on large suitcases, usually find the cheapest one I can find that fits a torso, and the rest can go in eskies.

Or are you talking about a suitcase for travelling?

Be careful with large suitcases for bus trips. I am currently on a coach tour in Europe and Trafalgur has smaller bag limits that aircraft.

Our luggage allowance is. One large suitcase not exceeding 23kg in weight and 76x45x25cm. We are allowed a small piece of hand luggage as well.

I always thought only planes restricted luggage. Do the bus tours at least warn you about the restriction before you book?
Ikea now makes suitcases too. Haven't seen the product in real life but they seem very light and are collapsible - the collapsibility is a big selling point for me.
I like cases with 4 x 360-degree spinning wheels.
The day that such wheels were invented was like the equivalent of manual to auto driving for me.

I have a Samsonite heavy woven synthetic canvas in kakhi green with a matching handluggage piece. Light, been all over the world, never had a problem. Had a hard shell one and it got smashed to bits on one trip. If I was buying a newer one now and definitely for your parents, get one with 4 wheels on the bottom, a dream to wheel

Samsonite for me. I go overseas 4 to 6 times a year and it has taken all the travel.

I did buy a hard cover one but it got smashed on first trip!!!

When I went to China on a Wendy Wuu tour we were restricted with the size, so I bought a medium size one, a Qantas branded one, that only lasted the China trip!!!

Chris

Depends on how much traveling you are doing.
I fly a lot (every month) and have been through a few.

Samsonite are good and honestly are hard to go past. I agree with Chrispy, don't bother with the hard case. They are generally heavier and just get smashed.

You can get a soft pack with an extra zip so that it expands. I find this quite handy for stuffing more in.
I used to like the backpacks which came with wheels and pull out handles. I have gone away from these now, as you don't really get the best of either worlds, and they are heavy as a day pack. Just get a good back pack and if you want a carry on, buy a small case.

If you are only doing one or two trips a year, the cheap cases are fine. They will hold up for a good number of trips which will see you through 4-5years. Not worth spending the extra $$ IMO which can be spent better elsewhere.

For some reason people treat cases as a fashion accessory which (like all fashionable things) I don't understand. I look at them more like a removal box...on wheels.

Blacky

I've got a hard case Samsonite that I purchased at a garage sale 20 years ago for two shillings. Done more miles than Kevin Rudd and still going strong. Doubles as a seat in airport lines.

It's rather heavy, but I imagine the modern versions are lighter.

lol, so true. I have Louis Vuitton suitcases which I refuse to have checked through because they will get ruined, so I fly with my 'cheapies'.

Rarely am I speechless - but you got me. I have nothing... just.... nothing.

I simply cannot comprehend this. It-just-doesn't-make-sense. :eek:

Back