Large Tree branch falls on house

Just had a call from my sister to say that a huge gum tree branch has falled onto their house. It's ripped out all the power lines and damaged the roof. Although ETSA has now trimmed some branches, they are not allowed to trim the tree any more because it is a 'significant tree' and is protected.

What options are available to her? This is not the first time this tree has dropped major branches onto their house. The neighbour advised them this morning that this is the second time it has happed (it happened just before the previous owner sold it to my sister) but the council does not allow the tree to be touched. A few months ago they called someone in to trim it. However, before it could be done, the council arrived and made them stop.

Surely with a tree that poses such a risk and has history in doing damage, there must be something that can be done.

Has anyone had an issue like this, and if so, what did you do?

Some councils

Hi there, some councils allow to get rid of a tree (even if protected) because they are too close to the property. The one we had an experience with could be “chopped” as it was less than 3 meters from the actual property (building). Give your local council a call and see if there is such rule in place, etc.

Happy Investing
Jon Salvador
www.headinghome.com.au
For investors … from investors

Same thing has happened at my GF's mum's place yesterday. Gum tree just inside the boundary (actually her neighbours which is her ex-MIL), which leans towards her house. Yesterday branch came down hitting the roof (no major damage) and taking out the phone lines.

Council has informed them it's a significant tree (even though it's just an ordinary gum tree and by no means a prestige area). However hopefully it can come down as it has white ants in it - so I can't possibly see how they could argue to keep it there now. They said they would send a council worker up to have a look at the tree. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had an issue like this, and if so, what did you do?

Get A Current Affair on the case.

Working family
Arogant and unsympathetic council
Children nearly killed.....there were children right? (If not, borrow some from your neighbours. Blonde, preferably)
Good scope for a dodgy re-enactment

Its got all the elements ! :D

Get A Current Affair on the case.

Working family
Arogant and unsympathetic council
Children nearly killed.....there were children right? (If not, borrow some from your neighbours. Blonde, preferably)
Good scope for a dodgy re-enactment

Its got all the elements ! :D

I'll try to get them to do that:D
No kids involved, but we do have 4 cousins under 10 years. We'll say they were all over watching TV, and it was lucky the kids weren't playing in the room..... dodgy but funny...

Back