LaTrobe Valley Affordable Housing Market..

Another interesting read:

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free-Articles/The-Briefing/20090119-Housing-affordability.html

Excerpt:

Revealed: Australia’s most affordable and unaffordable places to live

Monday, 19 January 2009

Patrick Stafford

"The Gold Coast, Sydney and the Sunshine Coast are Australia’s most unaffordable housing markets, while the Latrobe Valley and Mildura are the most affordable, according to a new survey.

The research from the Residential Developer’s Council and RPData used data on median house prices, income levels and mortgages to determine what percentage of income that residents used to service their mortgage.

The most unaffordable market was the Gold Coast, with properties demanding an average repayment of 93% of income. Sydney followed closely behind, with average repayments worth 82%.

But the study also shows that regional areas are now becoming more affordable, with house and unit buyers requiring as little as 24% of income for mortgage repayments.

Victoria’s Latrobe Valley has taken the top spot as most affordable housing market, requiring an average 29% of income for repayments. Mildura and Dubbo took second and third places, with repayments requiring 35% and 38% respectively....."

....and from Heraldsun, Holly Ife

January 20, 2009

Victoria is real good value beyond the 'burbs

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24935303-2862,00.html

Excerpt:

"VICTORIA has some of the best-value housing in Australia - as long as you don't mind living outside Melbourne.

New figures released yesterday by the Residential Development Council and RP Data show five regional Victorian centres are among the top 10 most affordable areas in Australia.

The Latrobe Valley - including the towns of Morwell, Traralgon and Moe - tops the list, with Mildura, Ballarat, Bendigo and Shepparton also in the top 10 cheapest places to buy a house.

The research compared the average household income for each state with the median house price for different regions, and calculated the percentage of income that would be spent on mortgage repayments.

It named the Gold Coast, Sydney, Sunshine Coast, Perth, Ballina, Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne, Mandurah and Mackay as the least affordable markets.

The data showed 93 per cent of the average Queensland household income would be needed to meet a mortgage repayment on a median-price Gold Coast property.

Caryn Kakas, executive director of the Residential Development Council, said even the most affordable properties were putting families under stress.

"The general rule of thumb is spending anything above 30 per cent of your income on mortgage repayments or rent is classified as housing stress," Ms Kakas said.

Every one of the top 10 urban centres on the most affordable list, with the exception of the Latrobe Valley, required more than 30 per cent of the average household income to meet repayments.

It was a different situation in the rental market, with the Latrobe Valley, Ballarat, Mildura, Great Taree (NSW) and Dubbo (NSW) named as the cheapest places to rent a house - all requiring less than than 22 per cent of the average household income in rent. Sydney, the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast, Mackay and Brisbane were the least affordable."

I think it means "affordable areas = no one wants to live there"

The data showed 93 per cent of the average Queensland household income would be needed to meet a mortgage repayment on a median-price Gold Coast property.

Well what about the average Gold Coast household income needed to meet a median-price Gold Coast property?

Although the GC market is subject to distortion due to a much higher proportion of out of town ownership - ie holiday makers wanting a place to stay which also qualifies as a tax break (their primary incentive is not to make a profit...). Its generally bad business to compete with people who are not interested in making a profit.

I think it means "affordable areas = no one wants to live there"

Well what about the average Gold Coast household income needed to meet a median-price Gold Coast property?

Although the GC market is subject to distortion due to a much higher proportion of out of town ownership - ie holiday makers wanting a place to stay which also qualifies as a tax break (their primary incentive is not to make a profit...). Its generally bad business to compete with people who are not interested in making a profit.
Gold Coast household incomes are actually slightly LOWER than the Queensland average.

http://www.id.com.au/profile/Default.aspx?id=292&pg=121&gid=10&type=enum

....and from Heraldsun, Holly Ife

January 20, 2009

Victoria is real good value beyond the 'burbs

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24935303-2862,00.html

Excerpt:

"VICTORIA has some of the best-value housing in Australia - as long as you don't mind living outside Melbourne.

The first part is true, the second part is not true.

The price of houses in our outer suburbs around 30 km from the CBD (and on a train line) compares favourably with outer suburban prices anywhere else.

Where else can one get a basic but sound 3x1 brick veneer house on a standard block for around $200k or less than outer Melbourne? Eg:

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007466440

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007357489

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007536524

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007560840

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007563491

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007561762

Somethings not right huh Spiderman?

I head people whinge that they can't get a decent 2 bedroom unit with parking under $400k 6km out inner SE, yet you could buy two whole houses for that 20kms out in the other direction (with good rail and freeway access)!!

Somethings not right huh Spiderman?

I head people whinge that they can't get a decent 2 bedroom unit with parking under $400k 6km out inner SE, yet you could buy two whole houses for that 20kms out in the other direction (with good rail and freeway access)!!

Admittedly $200k for (any) house in Laverton, Dallas or Epping would be excellent value, but your point still stands in that they're well below replacement value.

Neither this nor rental yields remaining much below interest rates can be sustained provided there's population growth.

I can't explain it except in terms of a segmented market; those with kids want a new 4x2 in an outer area, while those without kids want a unit closer in. Whereas years ago nearly everything was a 3x1 house, with a few '60s flats in inner areas.

So the humble suburban 3x1 with only a 1-car carport suffers as it's too small for what families want, yet its backyard may be too big for the DINKs. Nevertheless their value for money is fantastic and if well-located they'll suit couples and small families, and appeal to more demographic groups than the dearish 4x2 further from things.

Admittedly $200k for (any) house in Laverton, Dallas or Epping would be excellent value, but your point still stands in that they're well below replacement value.

Neither this nor rental yields remaining much below interest rates can be sustained provided there's population growth.

I can't explain it except in terms of a segmented market; those with kids want a new 4x2 in an outer area, while those without kids want a unit closer in. Whereas years ago nearly everything was a 3x1 house, with a few '60s flats in inner areas.

So the humble suburban 3x1 with only a 1-car carport suffers as it's too small for what families want, yet its backyard may be too big for the DINKs. Nevertheless their value for money is fantastic and if well-located they'll suit couples and small families, and appeal to more demographic groups than the dearish 4x2 further from things.

We live 5kms out in NE Melbourne. In this area people are on the whole prepared to trade space for location. Many many famillies live with two kids in two bedroom cottages. The higher cost of purchase is offset by either having no car or just the one car. Walking and cycling are popular forms of transport which is an enormous saving. This lifestyle is not seen as a sacrifice. Not all families long for the McMansion. So I would agree in part with Peter that there are two sets of people - that the 3x1 in middle ring suburbs may not please many as it neither has the convenience and cost savings of inner living or that groovy vibe :) and neither are the Mcmansion people impressed with a humble home. I think society's norms have evolved away fromthe old norms in two different directions.

The data there is SEQ average not Qld average unless I am missing something?

I would expect SEQ average to be higher than GC average because wages are higher in Brisbane than on the GC. Theres a price to pay for living in paradise....

Flick the benchmark down to Queensland - GC is very close to average but with slightly more at the bottom end.

Morwell is flooded with rentals at stupidly low levels. That would not make it a good ip investment in my eyes.

Actually the rental market's fairly tight for anything decent quality with 3-4 bedrooms. There are lots of old housing commission 2-bedders which are pretty run down. But we rented out the 4-bed place we bought just over a year ago - had a tenant lined up before we finished painting the place. Currently getting over 7% yield and haven't had a vacancy yet. Positive cashflow on current interest rates.

Actually the rental market's fairly tight for anything decent quality with 3-4 bedrooms. There are lots of old housing commission 2-bedders which are pretty run down. But we rented out the 4-bed place we bought just over a year ago - had a tenant lined up before we finished painting the place. Currently getting over 7% yield and haven't had a vacancy yet. Positive cashflow on current interest rates.

I stand corrected then. A friend is looking to move there and rent and is overwelmed by the choices! Perhaps he is looking in the wrong side of town:eek:

I stand corrected then. A friend is looking to move there and rent and is overwelmed by the choices! Perhaps he is looking in the wrong side of town:eek:

I'd say if he's renter looking for something cheap he's probably looking on the right side of town! Northside has a lot of the old public housing and many of them are run down but there are a few gems amongst them.

Back