Leftover door from renovation turned into our new kitchen table...

I thought I'd post up the latest little project from my hubby. He has been sawing, sanding and our house is full of dust, but he has just produced this...

We had a table here that was a little wide, swapped it for a lovely silky oak one that didn't work due to the placement of the legs, so hubby turned his hand to making a table for us.

I want him to make these and I'll sell them, but he's not keen.

Love it - I'll be your NSW rep!

I also love old door converted to tables that have odd bits like windows and lock holes, made practical by a glass overlay.

I thought I'd post up the latest little project from my hubby. He has been sawing, sanding and our house is full of dust, but he has just produced this...

We had a table here that was a little wide, swapped it for a lovely silky oak one that didn't work due to the placement of the legs, so hubby turned his hand to making a table for us.

Fantastic. I'd buy one. Much better one than a 'proper' one as Ali suggests.

Where do I place my order?

That looks fantastic, Wylie! What a lucky girl you are to have such a talented hubby. I've also seen old doors used as bed heads - if done right it can look really good too. :) I love seeing new, creative uses for old pieces - so much character!

Looks good and it matches the wooden floor too!
In fact, looking at your photo reminds me on a holiday house by the beach... time to go for a holiday, methinks! :D

Thanks for those nice comments. I'm really happy with it. One of the best things is that it is narrower and longer than the old table.

This works better as this little area has the laundry off one side and double french doors to the back patio so we needed something that had a smaller footprint, but really wanted to still use six chairs for times when we need them.

This narrow table means six chairs fit in and, being a bit longer, the end chairs also have room to push right in (unlike the old table). It looked messy and meant our poor little blind poodle walked into the chair legs. Now all the chairs tuck under nicely.

If I can convince him to build another one when our bathroom is finished, I might pop it on ebay and see what comes of it. But he is more of an "artist" and does things that are needed or desired rather than churning out items as a money making exercise... what a pity.

Looks great. What did he finish it with, Wylie?

Thanks. He "took to it" lightly with a chain saw to make it VERY rustic (which I quite like). He started to sand it with a sander (disk? I think). Whatever he used, it was removing the "rustic" and making it a bit too smooth so he reversed the disk and used the back of the disk. He said it "burnished" the timber, made it darker (likened it to "burning" the timber).

It is the made from the silky oak frame from a large patio door that had broken glass in an IP that we renovated.

Nice work..........But..........If he follows your advise, One day you won't have any door left:D

When I saw the thread title I was like "Here we go, another penny pinching money saving type thread"

But, that actually looks pretty good :D Well done to your hubby wylie.

Back