How do I get a snake out of my armchair?

I was cleaning the kitchen tonight when "something" knocked over an empty spray bottle that was on a low shelf. At first I thought it might have been a ghost (just kidding) :).
I looked over the island to see a three to four foot long snake.

I believe it is a python, but keen to have that confirmed if possible. Hubby had gone to bed and I woke him with what he thought was a fanciful story, but he got up once he realised he wasn't dreaming and tried to gently steer it out our back door with a broom. This same snake was asleep on our fence a few weeks ago and I took a photo of it. I guess it is the same one.

Hubby used a broom to get him out the door, but instead he climbed under a recliner chair. We tipped the chair on its side and the snake climbed up and into the arm of the chair. He is nice and snug, curled up inside the chair.

We carried it outside and it is now sitting on a coffee table on our patio.

I don't want to hurt the snake, but wonder if these snakes bite (don't think so). I'm not quite sure how to coax him out of the inside of the armchair. If I have to I'll call a snake man I'll do that.

My concern is if our little dog wanders outside in the night and bumps into the snake, I guess the snake would come out the winner. I guess these snakes squeeze their prey or swallow small animals whole, and don't bite.

Does anybody know for sure. I can close the doggy door for tonight but he might decide to hibernate there for a while. He looks comfy.

This is the back half and then photos showing him climbing into the chair and last photo is him curled up inside the chair which is now sitting on its side.

Last photo was taken poking the iPhone up into the couch. He is right up inside and to get him out we could unstable the bottom edge but I just want to make sure he won't bite me.

Looks like a carpet python to me, but I am light years from being an expert, so ignore anything I say!

Good luck with the removal. Is there a local wildlife service you can call for assistance??

Did you use Antique White USA for your walls and architrave? It looks good with the floorboards. There's a few tutorials on YouTube on how to remove snakes if you want to try using your oven mitts.

Last edited:
That is a python. Protected. Harmless to humans, not sure about dogs.

You won't see many rats or mice while that beauty is around!

If you leave the chair outside overnight, he'll probably come out in the morning to sun himself.
In terms of permanent removal, I'd be going the snake removers. (And no I'm not advocating 'permanent' removal - he's too pretty!)
NB: He might bite but highly likely not poisonous, so don't worry too much about your dog - unless he's a miniature breed, in which case he may be swallowed whole :eek:

When I saw the topic , without reading the posts , my thought was
Ask him to stand up , but I see others have already gone along with similar ideas

so maybe I should bother saying it

Cliff

Lucky you to have a nice visitor!
That looks like a Coastal Carpet Python. Not venomous at all and will do a great job of keeping down the local rat/mouse population. Hopefully you don't have small chooks because as it got bigger it may have a swipe at those?
From the bulge in it's tummy looks like he's recently had a feed so will likely look for a warm cosy spot to digest over the next few days. How big is your dog? That looks like a small snake so your dog would be seen as a threat and not food.

So glad to hear you don't want to kill it... not only is it actually illegal to kill native wildlife but also there's no threat to you/your family/dog. :)

I'd love to live in an area where our visitors were native wildlife, and not door-to-door salespeople!!

Is this him? http://www.reptilepark.com.au/animalprofile.asp?id=197

I have a friend with pythons which he handles every day, they will still bite him if he takes them by surprise, so yes, a python will bite. But if gently encouraged (like the broom) they will normally be passive - in fact, people like Steve Irwin were known for handling venomous, aggressive snakes, gently and they tend to not be too worried.

I would be worried about your dog if it is small, or if it is likely to attack/play with the snake - if it is the above, they can constrict...

Put the chair on a plane

LOL. I thought you were talking about a visiting real estate agent!

If you got the snake out of an armchair would it then be armless?

Funny people :p.

I looked in on him before heading to bed last night. He is gone. I think I'll leave the armchair outside for a few more days and maybe check the other side where the frame would allow him to curl up.

The last thing I want to do is to hurt him. I think his daddy lives over the road. One night my neighbour called me over and a very big and very long snake that looked like this one (but much bigger) was spread along and through her hedge. He was as thick as a man's arm and had a rather large bulge in the middle. His head was poking up near their front door.

I'm happy to live with him but don't want to stand on him or find I'm relaxing on that chair (or any other chair) and have him slither out whilst I'm relaxing :eek:.

I'm sure this is the same chap who was curled up and around some rake handles leaning against our back fence a few weeks ago. I took a photo of him but left him there in the sun, sleeping.

Do you think he would have come inside for our dog food? What else would he be looking for?

This is suburban Coorparoo, but our back yard has lots of golden cane palms in raised retaining wall gardens near the fence lines but has a gravel area and a pool elsewhere. Funny thing is this week we've seen a toad in our back yard and last night I saw one in our front yard. First time in 16 years. I feel like I'm in a Jumanji movie :D.

Funny thing is this week we've seen a toad in our back yard and last night I saw one in our front yard. First time in 16 years. I feel like I'm in a Jumanji movie :D.
I hope they're native toads and not Cane Toads... :(

I bet he was just cruising along exploring... What kind of dog do you have?

Back