Legal Age to own an IP?

Hey Guys,

I'm a 15 year old student, who is extremely interested in property development/property investing, and I'm planning to buy an investment/development Property within the next few years (2-4yrs).

I was just wondering what is the legal age for buying an IP in all the states in AUS (if the age diferenciates).

Cheers,
JBendall

HI there
you need to be 18 years to buy a property as you are considered an adult at that stage.

If you buy earlier it would have to be a trust arrangement where the trustees hold the property for you - preferable not to get into that sitution.
thanks

Hello JB, firstly, congratulations for wanting to start at an early age! :) Whilst it might be hard to wait until the magic 18, don't lose sight of the goal of property investing; we only started in our 40's!!:rolleyes:

Hiya

I went through this scenario with a client a while ago in NSW.

A minor can complete and be held accounable to a credit contract providing there are appropriate measures taken, there is provision in NSW law.

However the banks legal beagles point is that they would find it hard to get a judgement in the case of default............I suspect though that is is the usual conservative line taken with lending.

ta
rolf

WOW...I wish I had that sort of drive when I was 15!!

My advice is to get a part time job now...if you havent already got one...the way I see it, you have 2 to 4 years to get as big a deposit as you can...
Assuming you go into full time employment by the time you are 17 or 18, and can hold down the job for a while, the banks/lending istitutions will lend you something, depending on your income/circumstances.
You could be a millionaire by the time you are 30!
Best of Luck

Hi,

One thing you can establish between now and 18 is a savings history. Source some high interest saving accounts i.e. ING - shop around.

There is another thought... do a search on vendor financing, wraps etc.

Borrowing money doesn't always mean borrowing form the banks.

If you find a property that is positively geared (ie the income(rent) is higher than your expenses) then borrowing is feasible.

Couple of scenarios....

1) Investor will a number of properties is retiring and looking to secure a price - agrees to sell to you by installments. The contract could be that it balloons when your 19 - so you have a set date to refinance them out and cash them out. The benefit to them is they do not have to deal with tenants.

2) Lease Option - (what ever the legal age is to sign a lease) - you have an option to buy when your 18-19 - in the meantime you lease the property - with the right to sublease (so a tenant covers your lease expenses) - then your save up a deposit with savings or rental credit. Then you exercise your option to buy when your old enough to get a bank loan.

My advice...

Find a spreadsheet, either Excel, or if you need a free one, find one online (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_online_spreadsheets)

Then work out all your running costs i.e. expenses

Then work out how much rent (income) you need.

Then work out which parts of Australia will allow you to find something affordable - it may be outside your major city - start small - that way mistakes are smaller.

Then create an A5 flyer and do a flyer drop in that area - you may get a feel for the area too.

Be honest, tell people your intentions, everyone appreciates honesty.

People here might be able to help list all your expenses which you need to consider - might also be able to work out ways to increase income - ie if place has two garages - is it possible to rent 1 out for storage(?)

You have 4 years to try this out - I'm sure you'll be a guru if you apply that time to learning and experimenting.

Some people make bad investment decisions because they don't have to think about the money - i.e. they can borrow as much as they want - as a result they just buy anything. However for you, money is a rare resource - so you'll be motivated to make the most out of it. Make every cent count and think outside the box on how you can find finds without borrowing from the normal channels.

If you're dealing directly with the seller - maybe interest is not a factor - if thats the case - maybe you can protect yourself against interest rate rises.

Here's a thought - go find out how people bought and sold property before banks were lending money for property. Since you cannot borrow from banks - you might as well act as if the banks don't exist.

Find people who dont have a mortgage on their property - if they are not paying interest - then there is no pressure on them when there are interest rate rises.

Just a thought
Michael G

Prior experience - in line with the above... happy to be corrected...

If youre under 18 you cant legally sign a contract as under 18 youre not an adult (legally speaking). This isnt just for loans but also to purchase a property. So if the contract to purchase is void then theres little chance the bank is going to lend $ against a contract which holds no substance.

Then your next issues come into it, such as being able to support the borrowings or where your money is coming in to complete the purchase (as has been paritally mentioned).

Lots of things change between when youre 15 and 18... and I'm even reluctant to say what I used to get up to at those ages but buying a house was the last thing from my mind.

Jbendall you are certainly in the right place to learn a lot. My suggestion to you would be what I have done with my own teenage children. The first thing you need to do is to get a parttime job. I make my children save a minimum of 1/2 their wages. Put this into ING or similar. It is amazing how fast this will grow.

My eldest has done this consistently & is now 18yrs old. She has just started working full time & has a deposit to buy her first property already. Unfortunately as she is on a trainee wage, she is not earning enough to service the loan yet, but her savings are still growing.

Good luck

Back