Lend me your creativity pls: reno layout

Ive lost my creativity mojo because I'm in the middle of a Reno, and I'm staying at a hotel

So if anyone can share their creativity, I'm all ears (Westminster I'm looking towards you:)

So I'm looking at this site, its a huge Reno job (see attached)

Its currently a 2bdr, its heritage listed so I am limited in what I can do, but its a very lax overlay and a thin house (10m or less)

Its currently a 2bdr but its only worth it if I can turn it into a 3bdr

Its a very old house with very high ceilings, house is about to fall down

The rear of the house doesn't exist, shown in the diagram

Also toilet is separate,

My take is since the rear of the house basically doesn't exist, extending it further out by a metre or two wont cost too much extra

How would you guys design it to incorporate the third bdr, bring the toilet in, and a laundry??

Changing the order/layout of bdr1,2,lounge seems pointless

Also not sure I can do much with the kitchen position/layout

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• DSC_0528.jpg
    DSC_0528.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 165
Why not have all three bedrooms in a row, then the bathroom and laundry with the whole of the back knocked off and turned into a big open plan kitchen opening onto a deck (especially if you are going to extend the back anyway).

Why not have all three bedrooms in a row, then the bathroom and laundry with the whole of the back knocked off and turned into a big open plan kitchen opening onto a deck (especially if you are going to extend the back anyway).

I thought about doing that, but then I'd lose a living room
Also I currently where the kitchen used to be its totally open so however going through the kitchen to get to the toilet/bath/laundry isn't ideal

Since the house is really thin, I think it's more 6 m I'll have to extend the back. Lot which isn't ideal due to the land

I was hoping to only extend it by a metre or two just to squeeze it all in,

Also it's an ip so definitely no verandah

What is in the little room opposite the laundry (guessing bathroom - just realised I didn't see a bathroom until now - DOH! :D).

What about swap "living" for "bedroom 3".

Remove laundry and little hallway and bathroom at the back.

"Kitchen" becomes (smaller than current kitchen) bathroom with laundry in a cupboard at one end opening into the hallway from the bedrooms.

Back becomes open plan kitchen and living area.

What is in the little room opposite the laundry (guessing bathroom - just realised I didn't see a bathroom until now - DOH! :D).

What about swap "living" for "bedroom 3".

Remove laundry and little hallway and bathroom at the back.

"Kitchen" becomes (smaller than current kitchen) bathroom with laundry in a cupboard at one end opening into the hallway from the bedrooms.

Back becomes open plan kitchen and living area.

Interesting suggestion!

The toilet is currently upside down at the end of the block, the house didn't have a toilet to begin with! Or maybe people in the 50s didn't go!
The little room next to the laundry was a tiny corridor going out the back

I've attached a photo to give you a cheeky idea, the rear is a blank canvas! Trying to get my head around such a thin house and the corridor from the front and an open kitchen

Attachments

• DSC_0481.jpg
    DSC_0481.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 126
Start on the yard and fence first. Sometimes when I'm stuck on a task I temporarily abandon it- do something else and then come back to it with a fresh head. I would have trouble focussing on the house until I de cluttered the yard.

Wow! I'd also be clearing the yard to unclutter my head.

But, I'm curious about the chimney. Is that part of the old laundry? I'm guessing it will be knocked down, not needed.

If you are standing at the back of the yard taking the photo, I'd still extend further into it. You can always fence off the side to allow an L shape back and side yard and even if extending further than the current footprint reduces the yard, you can make it like a terrace house courtyard.

Not exactly an ideal solution for a 3rd bedroom, but as you have the high ceilings a loft space could look cool and add a bit of quirky character :)

Thanks guys
Yeah its a mess isn't it

The chimney I think is a fireplace
But I will be getting rid of it

Having such a narrow house (6-7m)
I'm just tryin to work out how to fit a kitchen, bdr, laundry and bath by only extending the house by a metre or two

Since its a rental and long term hold
I was going to clear and leave the yard

You could do what they do in UK - put the laundry in the kitchen and have a small bathroom - toilet, vanity, shower over bath.

Back