Lets talk curtains and security screens

This is for a two story house to be built and rented out. Which windows would you put curtains on? Trying to get an idea for my feaso study. Am thinking the windows downstairs which consists of kitchen, lounge and meals can stay curtain free. Upstairs am thinking of putting in curtains only in the bedroom windows and the family room. What about the bathrooms for privacy?

And for security screens, what would I be looking at for a full install of 7mm diamond security screens into a 4 bedroom house. Should I be budgeting a few hundred, few thousand, 10k+

Look at decent roller blinds instead of curtains - lower risk of kids getting heads caught in the blind cords.

Might also consider blockout shutters as an alternative but they are $$

Why is downstairs curtain free?Where is the privacy?
Consider window film all round,different styles,cheaper too.
Security screens,high risk suburb?
Bathroom is a no brainer.
Ha ha Scott No Mates,mitigating risk via kids in the blind cords.

Nope.Not a high risk suburb. I think it is just because I have always lived in houses with those diamond security screens. I do agree they look ugly. Might look at just installing fly screens. Would be cheaper. How would it affect my home insurance and landlord insurance? I know it does influence home and contents.

Thanks for the roller blinds idea. Will look into it. How sturdy and tenant proof are they? I chose curtains because they are pretty indestructible. Would the rollers jam up? Need constant replacing? Would the blinds tear easily?

Does the downstairs really need privacy? Considering you have 2m fences and a setback of 1m on one side and 1.5m on the other. No windows on the front of the house and the back part consists of a double sliding door.

Window film in bathroom window sounds like a good idea.

And while we are talking windows. What do people think of floor to ceiling windows throughout the house. Or should I make the windows smaller, only the top half of the walls.

absolutely the application of all of Murphy's laws
Anything that can go wrong, will, at the worst possible time, to cause the most possible damage

tenants will walk through floor to ceiling windows, and blame you

anywhere you dont put some kind of covering
tenants will attach what they think appropriate, and go for costs in the tribunal
If there is wiring and plumbing, they will get it
Anything that can be done; will be done, badly
Does not matter if the lease forbids it, put up something, carefully so the screws hit solid structure,

Do downstairs need curtains? in my opinion - YES
It's not just for privacy but heating/cooling in winter/summer.

Also, sometimes it's about the illusion of privacy. Do neighbours have two stories? Do their windows overlook backyard?

I have recently purchased wooden venetian blinds for the bathrooms of a rental property. I bought them at Spotlight and they were pretty cheap. I think all your windows (upstairs and downstairs) need curtains. The cheapest thing to do is to buy them already made at Spotlight. Get the eyelet curtains so that you don't have to buy extras. I bought three large ones at Spotlight for $150. I then purchased extendable curtain rods at Lincraft. I bought the cheapest I could find but they were still nice. They were about $20 each.

With regards security and insurance, your tenants will expect some kind of security. At my ppor we don't have window screens but we do have deadlocks on each window. They are very inexpensive and you can install them DIY if reasonably cluey. We have door security screens though. I love these Baroque screens that would keep out the Stassi.

For curtains I prefer blinds and only on windows requiring privacy. Kitchen window area can get very greasy and hard to clean. Each house will be different regarding privacy and sunlight requirements.

Back