Life in Adelaide

Hi All,

I have a potential job transfer from Sydney to Adelaide coming up and I need to seriously start making plans.

We are a young couple (30 and 28) and have 2 kids (10 and 2), with another one due at the end of October.

We are originally from Cape Town, spent 1.5 years in Sydney and recently decided enough was enough in Sydney.

Should the job transfer go through, I could be working at this address: Green hill road Unley SA 5061

I am trying to narrow down a few areas in Adelaide, but seems quite daunting when you have no idea of the area.

Things i need to consider:

1: Work location – I want to keep my commute to work under 30mins. I am also happy to use public transport, which i have been using for the past 7 years.
2: House – I would be looking for a 4 bedroom house, preferably under $500 per week
3: Schools – My son will still have 1 year left in primary school and will go to high school on 2014. So decent public schools, preferably walking of cycling distance or some sort of school bus.
4: Beaches – would be great to be 15 -20mins away from the beach
5: In 3 months time, we will have a newborn and a toddlers, so maybe an area with parks etc.

Also, with the new arrival is due at the end of October, so might need some recommendation for a good public hospital too :)

I have picked up a few areas from word of mouth or from my own findings:

West Lakes, Fulham, Henley, Flinders Park, Port Noarlunga, Woodcroft, Hallet Cove, Marion, Trott Park, Reynella East, Mawson Lakes

How would these areas tie up with my some of my needs mentioned above?

Look forward to heard from you.

Regards,
Robbie

I would avoid those southern suburbs, and the Goodwood/South Rd. trip to the city - hideous trip and so so public schools, imo.

Consider areas within the Brighton High, Adelaide High, and Urrbrae High school zones.

All short trips to the beach, good schools, decent public transport and road infrastructure, close to beach, but not much change from $500 rent per week.

A bit further from the beach (but not by much), but a good area and schools, and close to Greenhill Rd. is the Marryatville High school zone.

http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/locs/pages/default/hszoning/?reFlag=1

Perhaps around Richmond, Mile End etc you might find something. A quick look seems to find some reasonable (some newer builds) properties in the low to mid $400's, haven't seen a 4bedder yet though. That way you have the CBD 10 minutes east, and the beach 10 minutes west.

You might also be in the Adelaide High zoning? Don't know too much about public schooling in the area unfortunately, the private school I attended is nearby however if you ever go down that path...

Hospital.... Weg you're in public health aren't you? I guess Womens and Childrens would be the go, though I do know of one nurse who had her child up at lyell Mcewin because she prefered the hospital. Apparently it's private rooms for all births now or something along those lines. I'm not at the point of researching this stuff yet! :)

Other than that, with the park ring around Adelaide, so long as you're within 15 minutes of the CBD I'd use the parklands, everything (bar perhaps South Terrace below Vaele gardens) is well maintained.

Thanks for the tips guys, MUCH appreciated :)

I think at this stage, i would be happy to prioritize by the following:

1: Close to work - In Sydney, my average commute is 3h:45mins per day. If i could get that to well under an hour a day, ill be happy. so 20-30 mind each way.

2: I want to keep my weekly rental under $450 per week for a 4 bedroom house.

3: Maybe at this stage, being so close to the beach is not a necessity.

Otherwise, how is life in general in Adelaide?

Both Lyell McEwin and Women and Childrens are very good. Women and Childrens is all single rooms too.

Modbury Hospital is the only hospital I'd avoid (I don't think it has recovered from it's private/public Healthscope days).

Agree with Mile End, Richmond and Torrensville being good suburbs, but I'm not sure about the school zoning.

I've heard far too many stories of issues with many of the public schools in the Western suburbs.

edit: under $450 there's the Golden Grove/Modbury area. I hear only good reports from people who live there, and there's the autobahn, North East Rd. and Main Nth. Rd. to take you into the city (all decent).

Quiet, cheap? ;) Do you like wine?

I wouldn't live anywhere else. Don't like to spend my life sitting in traffic. If you're into food, wine, 'cultural' events, Adelaide is a nice place to spend your days. But that's from someone from Adelaide. My fiance works for a multinational, who gets a lot of employees coming from international and eastern states, all the eastern state employees hate it, whilst the international employees love it!

For commuting the train lines mean you can live quite a distance away from the CBD and get there within reasonable times. Back when I was in university, a couple of my friends would do a commute from Gawler to the CBD, 40 mins train ride. If you look at a map of Adelaide, that's pretty much the Northern border of the city... Buses aren't anywhere near as quick, particularly East with the old two way roads, congestion slows them down. Mawson Lakes is a 15 minute express train to the CBD. A very American style development, but reasonably nice.

Personally, I'd find a good location for your commute, as you'd be doing that five days a week back and forth, whereas the beach would likely be a lot lower frequency? This will give you more time for the little ones, and perhaps a bit more energy for the weekend to hit up the beach?

Agree with Mile End, Torrensville areas. Mile End in particular is a good area, close to the city and on the beach side of the CBD.

If you are looking for a better commute, I'd look at the East or South East corner, like Glenunga, Myrtle Bank, Burnside, Erindale, Kensington Gardens etc. This would give you a better commute than Mile End, but may be pushing the upper end of your budget.

Otherwise, how is life in general in Adelaide?

The food is good - especially the Gouger Street restaurants.
Travel times are great to get to most places.
The Barossa Valley is close(ish) for good wines.
Some of the beaches have the occassional 'death by shark' thing happening :eek:. (a bit like Perth at present).

It can get over 40deg C on some summer days.....
People like me (from the Eastern States) are not huge fans. ;)
At least it is only 1.5 hrs flight time to get back to civilization in Sydney :p

The problem i had about Sydney is, the area i was staying in, The Hills District, where rentals were reasonably affordable ($500-600pw), my daily commute is 3h:45mins (75 hours per month). Major issue for me. If in Adelaide my daily commute could be 1 hour (20hours per month), i will have an additional 50 hours per month to spend on my family, hobbies, business etc. This time i am spending commuting i will never get back. Its lost.

Sydney is deceiving. It may have all the trendy beaches, sights, harbour etc, but for you to go to those places you are looking at a 1.5h commute, traffic, parking, tolls, crowds of people. So a fun day out with the family, ends up being a time consuming, expensive day out.. and ends up being more stressful that fun.

Anyways, thats just my take on Sydney.. 1.5 years was enough for me :)

It sounds like Adelaide might be a nice change. Perhaps a trip down here might be in order to get an idea of what it's like.

We've never really got into the Eastern States. Brisbane, Syd, Melb, bah. Personally the Mrs. and I find a 30 minute drive on a saturday arvo into the Barossa with a picnic, hire some bikes, do the old fogey mosey through the knicknack shops, then head back with a half lamb from Tanunda for an evening roast much more exciting. :)

Agreed, but based on my criteria i.e. 4 bedroom home, garden, good demographics and schools and rental under $500 per week.. this doesnt leave you with much choice.

If i wanted something like this closer to beaches and the city, what would i be looking at per week? +$800?

Sydney is even for you, or it isnt.

The places im looking to live in Adelaide, in terms of proximity to beach and the city, i could only compare it to Manly (i may be wrong)..

To rent a 4 bedroom house in Manly, you looking at + $1500 per week!

Mile End & Torrensville are lovely, if we moved back to Adelaide we would buy around there. My parents live in Flinders Park which is a nice suburb too, it is definitely on the up, especially if you live along the river where there is a great bike/walking track (called Linear Park) that runs from Henley Beach via the city up to the hills- it's around 7km bike ride from Flinders Park to the beach, or 15 minutes if you are going to drive.

I don't think you will make it on public transport in half an hour though- the Adelaide bus service is notoriously slow (or maybe I am spoiled here in Brisbane now!), but you could easily drive in that timeframe. I'm afraid I have no idea about rental prices these days as it has been a few years since I last rented in Adelaide but your expectation sounds reasonable to me.

Suburbs:
West Lakes is too far from your work
Fulham, Henley & Flinders Park all suit your criteria
Port Noarlunga, Woodcroft, Trott park too far from your work. Would move to Port Noarlunga and not the other two but would send my kids to high school in the city. Big commute by Adelaide standards.
Hallett Cove, Marion- Hallett Cove is nice, but the beach is a giant cliff and lots of rocks, beaches are better further south (ie Seaford area, which is too far away) or further north (eg Henley). I have lived near Marion in Mitchell Park before, it is an ok patch of suburbia but doesn't have any great features IMO.
Mawson Lakes too far away, never lived on the north side of Adelaide and never wanted to.

Good luck with your move. Adelaide is a great place to bring up kids. Writing this has made me want to make a trip back to see everyone but it will have to wait until Christmas!

I have picked up a few areas from word of mouth or from my own findings:

West Lakes, Fulham, Henley, Flinders Park, Port Noarlunga, Woodcroft, Hallet Cove, Marion, Trott Park, Reynella East, Mawson Lakes

I currently live in Mawson Lakes and have done so for the past 6.5 years. I would highly recommend the suburb and it definitely fits all your criteria.

Thanks Amiaow!

eKwatee, a good friend of mine also stays in Mawson Lakes. Are there schools in that area? We also considering Westlake

Westlake / Mawson Lakes, I'm told, would only be about a 30 minute commute each way?

Thanks Amiaow!

eKwatee, a good friend of mine also stays in Mawson Lakes. Are there schools in that area? We also considering Westlake

Westlake / Mawson Lakes, I'm told, would only be about a 30 minute commute each way?

There is a Primary School & a private college(high school) but the newly opened Super School (High School) is only approximately 3 km's, there is also a transport hub that runs express trains to the city & buses in all directions.

Suburbs:
Fulham, Henley & Flinders Park all suit your criteria
Port Noarlunga, Woodcroft, Trott park too far from your work. Would move to Port Noarlunga and not the other two but would send my kids to high school in the city. Big commute by Adelaide standards.
Hallett Cove, Marion- Hallett Cove is nice, but the beach is a giant cliff and lots of rocks, beaches are better further south (ie Seaford area, which is too far away) or further north (eg Henley). I have lived near Marion in Mitchell Park before, it is an ok patch of suburbia but doesn't have any great features IMO.
Mawson Lakes too far away, never lived on the north side of Adelaide and never wanted to.

Good luck with your move. Adelaide is a great place to bring up kids. Writing this has made me want to make a trip back to see everyone but it will have to wait until Christmas!

Those suburbs along Anzac Highway, Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Henley Beach Roads are nice, but the public schools and some private/Catholic schools don't have such great reputations (Immanuel and Sacred Heart excluded).

The problem is you can't guarantee getting into a good school zone, and if you're renting you might as well rent in the zone (although in many cases you'd be paying a premium).

Thanks eKwatee!

Out of interest, is there an equivalent of Westlake / Mawson Lakes but south / south west of the CBD?

The reason i ask is because ill be working in Greenhill Road, which is the very bottom of the CBD.

Thanks eKwatee!

Out of interest, is there an equivalent of Westlake / Mawson Lakes but south / south west of the CBD?

The reason i ask is because ill be working in Greenhill Road, which is the very bottom of the CBD.

Not really, if you mean like a "Master planned Suburb" the reason is the majority of the suburbs South West have been established for many years. You would have to go South East towards Blackwood or much further South to find a master planned suburb on that side of the city.

There's plenty of really nice suburbs South West of Adelaide, too many to list.

Back