Life in Adelaide

I've always thought of Wattle Park, Rosslyn Park, Kensington Gardens as quite nice areas. Easily within a 30 minute commute from Greenhill Road in Unley, and close to retail and cafe strip at The Parade in Norwood as well as the Adelaide Hills. You'd be pressed to find many under $500 a week but they certainly do exist.

Yes...lots of good schools too.

Robbie, I was down in Adelaide a few month ago - I go there every year. If ever there was a city made for pushbikes, it's Adelaide. Not much traffic compared with the east coast cities, flat, wide roads etc. I couldn't work out why there so few bikes on the road. If you're comfortable with a 13klm ride in Sydney, you'll love Adelaide.

There are lots of speed cameras in Adelaide...so cars drive erratically.
And the weather is either too hot or too cold.
There is a big round a bout near greenhill rd that need practice to get used to.

If you want a life of the country feel,40 minutes to the city,why not consider the Adelaide hills.I grew up in Mt barker 30 years ago,and recently moved back.Rents are affordable with up to date newer houses.Wish i had never left,clean fresh air,a hop skip and jump from the city.

Nice location, well under $500 per week, 10 min to the city, Norwood Morialta High School zone which isn't up there, but still not a bad school. 2 nephews went/go there and parents and children report good experiences.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-rostrevor-406711431

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-rostrevor-408249491

Great locations, more expensive (eastern suburbs), 10min to the city, Marryatville High School zone (I think). Reported to be up there with the best state schools.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-wattle+park-408230235

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-wattle+park-408057415

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-rosslyn+park-408231199

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-wattle+park-406766861

If I moved to Adelaide I would move to the hills - Crafers, Stirling, Aldgate, Bridgewater or Upper Sturt. Had a quick look on Realestate.com - couple of beautiful 4 bedroom houses under $500pw

I've only been to Adelaide briefly, but one of my brother's friends lives in Bridgewater, and it's a lovely area. It's a very leafy and wooded suburb, which separates the houses. I've got a feeling that the climate tends to be a bit cooler in the summer up there.

I thought anything more than 3 cars at a traffic light in Adelaide constituted a traffic jam? :D

Haven't been there in a while - used to be an annual pilgrimage there for the Aus GP. Loved the drive from where we were staying in Basket Ranges down to the track - except when I happened to be a passenger on my friend's Mitsubishi L300 Van which he drove like Ari Vatanen doing Pike's peak (i.e back wheel hanging off the edge of the cliff) :eek:

Wife used to live in Camden Park, so used to know that end of town quite well too.

The Y-man

Hi, the train line to Belair offers a number of suburbs ranging from most expensive [Unley Park area] to very affordable. Unley schools & Mitcham schools are very good. Julia Guillard is an alumni. At the end of the line, Blackwood Primary & Blackwood High are very upper middle class.

Further along, before Flinders Uni, the primary school along Shepherds Hill Rd is growing to be quite big.

Buses are no good, long & winding. Trains are excellent. About 35 mins to the city with limited stops at peak hours.

Hawthorndene is cheap to rent but expensive to buy. Blackwood more expensive to rent. Very very family friendly.

Greenhill from Belair is the last stop into the city. We used to take Unley Rd.

A useful tip for Adelaide: buy a car. You'll never regret it!

BTW, I've lived in Hawthorndene & Clapham. Clapham only took 12 mins to the city.

KY

l tip for Adelaide: buy a car. You'll never regret it!

BTW, I've lived in Hawthorndene & Clapham. Clapham only took 12 mins to the city.

KY

I'm a former Clapham resident also and its a lovely suburb. I reckon its still within your budget as well for rentals so thats a suburb worth having a look at also :)

I think you will love Adelaide!

Did a little traveling at the start of the year to Sydney, Brisbane, and the Gold Coast. Even all the extra stuff there was to do for someone my age in those cities, i could not spend maybe more than a week or 2 there at a time. People are friendlier, its not so rush rush, and i believe just a better place to raise a family.

If youre working up Greenhill Rd, id look at areas around Maylands, Firle, St Morris. These are <5mins to the Norwood Parade (great strip for foodies and to take the kids), and more affordable than the aforementioned suburbs like Kensington/Burnside (still only a few minutes from these also). I think you may be able to get into the Norwood Morialta School Zone, or Marryatville, which are up there with the best public schools in Adelaide.

Try staying away from areas like Prospect id say, purely because you would have to cross through the city to get to work, and that will add a fair chunk to your daily commute.

In the areas i mentioned, youre 10mins from the city, 25 minutes to the beach and airport, and an easy drive to the foothills.

Check out some houses in the city. They are older style, but the location is great, especially near hutt st,you can even walk to your work and Adelaide high used to be decent school.

We have sorted out our short term accommodation for the first 2 weeks in Adelaide, possibly longer depending on how long it takes to find a rental.

We will be staying in Norwood in this 2 bedroom apartment:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rose...y-aptmt-2br-fully-furnished-norwood/243027303

Nice and close to my office, only 4km away, so pretty convenient location until we find something more permanent.

Norwood is a great place to start searching base from. I used to love walking along The Parade (hence my username ;) ) and catching up with people at the restaurants and cinema along there when I was still living in Adelaide. :)

Norwood is a great place to start searching base from. I used to love walking along The Parade (hence my username ;) ) and catching up with people at the restaurants and cinema along there when I was still living in Adelaide. :)

It is a great place. The only problem is finding a half decent 4 bedroom house for under $500pw.

The only problem is finding a half decent 4 bedroom house for under $500pw.

This place is purely a base for the first few weeks until i find something permanent.

At this stage I'm leaning more to the below areas, but that might change when i arrive and have a look around.

Henley
Fulham
Flinders Park
Lockleys
Kidman park
West beach

Quite funny reading your old posts...

I ended up finding a rental in Pasadena (4 bed, sea views $395pw), which was a suburb which was never recommended or considered by myself.

I could cycle to work in 20mins, drive in under 15mins and would really recommend it.

After one year in Pasadena, we bought a house in Flagstaff hill and settlement is in a few days.

Back