Life in Adelaide

Thanks Amiaow!

eKwatee, a good friend of mine also stays in Mawson Lakes. Are there schools in that area? We also considering Westlake

Westlake / Mawson Lakes, I'm told, would only be about a 30 minute commute each way?

From Mawson Lakes, you'd have to go either through or around the city to get to Greenhill Road. I would think this would take longer than 30 minutes in peak hour traffic. Closer to an hour, I think.

For a newer suburb south of the city, try Craigburn Farm.

Those suburbs along Anzac Highway, Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Henley Beach Roads are nice, but the public schools and some private/Catholic schools don't have such great reputations (Immanuel and Sacred Heart excluded).

Agree, but for primary school I don't think it matters so much, especially with engagement from parents at home. I went to primary school in Lockleys and my husband in Edwardstown and we both received a good education and have post-grad qualifications now- I wouldn't have any qualms about sending my kids to the local public or Catholic primary schools around those suburbs.

Yeh, and for that reason i think i will stay south.

Also looking at a few eastern suburbs i.e. Burnside, Unley or Parkside (walking distance to work)

Yeh, and for that reason i think i will stay south.

Also looking at a few eastern suburbs i.e. Burnside, Unley or Parkside (walking distance to work)

Your work may be near the tram stop so you could consider older suburbs along the tram line that runs between the city and Glenelg.

spoke to some guys in the adelaide office and 99% of them drive. I am also happy to cycle to work.

Currently, in Sydney, i cycle 13kms to a station, then get a train into city (45mins).

With this in mind, I would HAPPILY cycle from home to work if it was under 15kms :)

Agree, but for primary school I don't think it matters so much, especially with engagement from parents at home. I went to primary school in Lockleys and my husband in Edwardstown and we both received a good education and have post-grad qualifications now- I wouldn't have any qualms about sending my kids to the local public or Catholic primary schools around those suburbs.

It was probably more the high schools I was referring to - worrying student and parental activity, low expectation by the school, poor school/parent communication, poor organisation and care factor, etc.

A good friends daughter who went to one of these schools, and her other child to another, in another area, said the schools where chalk and cheese (her daughter did reasonably well, btw - but not so many of the other year 12's in her year).

I think schools do vary, and they can change - goods schools can deteriorate over time and vise versa.

In this case the OP wanted to know about schools, so gave my 2c worth.

Hey Robbiep!

You'll love Adelaide!

If you want to stick close to your new workplace on Greenhill Rd I would personally avoid West Lakes, Port Noarlunga, Woodcroft, Hallet Cove, Trott Park, Reynella and Mawson Lakes.

My number 1 pick for your budget would be Prospect! 5mins from City (will take longer to get to Greenhill Rd as thats on the other side of the CBD) and you can have your pick from a great range of properties for under $500. Lovely suburb. Brompton is also 5mins from City (next to Prospect) and is a more 'high density' suburb...its full of new developments but i'm pretty certain leaves you still with plenty of options for renting under $500/week. You might be able to get into the Adelaide High School zone (not sure as there was talks recently of extending the zoning for Adelaide High to include Prospect etc).

Any area surrounding Greenhill Rd is very nice but also pricey but i'm sure there are rentals under $500 that can be found. We used to live at Marryatville and seriously, it took us 5mins to get into town. Marryatville High School is a very reputable public school (almost impossible to get into if you live outside the zone) so that would work well with schooling as well if you're looking to send your child to a public high school. Dulwich and Parkside are also very nice and nearby but not as expensive as Unley, Malvern and surrounding suburbs. I just had a quick look on realestate.com.au and there was a 4bedroom house in Parkside for $380. An older villa but obviously pricing depends on what standards you're looking at.

Good luck and let us know where you end up!

I would have said Prospect too, if the zoning was Adelaide High - Fitzroy Tce is the boundry.

It's actually in the Gepps Cross Super School (Briens Rd.) zone :(.

It's actually in the Gepps Cross Super School (Briens Rd.) zone :(.

Ruh roh!

My fiance works on South Terrace. You catch the Gawler line express from Mawson to CBD, then the tram to Greenhill rd. Commute under 30 mins to Sth Terrace. It depends where on Greenhill rd though of course...

Robbie, I was down in Adelaide a few month ago - I go there every year. If ever there was a city made for pushbikes, it's Adelaide. Not much traffic compared with the east coast cities, flat, wide roads etc. I couldn't work out why there so few bikes on the road. If you're comfortable with a 13klm ride in Sydney, you'll love Adelaide.

If I moved to Adelaide I would move to the hills - Crafers, Stirling, Aldgate, Bridgewater or Upper Sturt. Had a quick look on Realestate.com - couple of beautiful 4 bedroom houses under $500pw

All these are approx 20kms from the top of Greenhill Rd.

I've always thought of Wattle Park, Rosslyn Park, Kensington Gardens as quite nice areas. Easily within a 30 minute commute from Greenhill Road in Unley, and close to retail and cafe strip at The Parade in Norwood as well as the Adelaide Hills. You'd be pressed to find many under $500 a week but they certainly do exist.

Out of interest, if you had to live in the Hills area (Stirling, Crafers etc), would you be able to cycle along The South Eastern Freeway / Princess Highway?

Would there be dedicated cycle paths and would it be safe to cycle these roads into the city?

So a cycle from the hills into the city would be considered safe?

The run down from Crafers being downhill to the Tollgate you could go flat out and risk colliding with other riders I suppose.
From the tollgate into the city along say Glen Osmond Rd there is no separation from traffic and the truckies use part of that road going interstate but I think it's a clearway in peak times.
I've cycled Adelaide roads for years and I'm not dead yet but I wouldn't say the roads are necessarily safe for cyclists.
I think we have some bike club forums in Adelaide perhaps ask there.

Back