lifting the floor for ventilation/stumps- Melb

Hi,

We finally bought our PPOR- its a weatherboard Victorian, and needs additional subfloor ventilation but access is not possible.

We have been told that we need to lift the boards to fix the damp problem, and given that the boards would be ruined, replace our wooden stumps with concrete ones. We are thinking of doing this, and simply replacing the floorboards with particle board and carpet, as these rooms will become bedrooms in the long term.

Can anyone share their experience with lifting the floorboards? Are all the floorboards totally ruined- just wondering if it would be a false economy to ignore the stumps at the moment? And can anyone recommend anyone for this work?

Thank you.

Sounds like restumping the house would be logical but it would depend on the condition of them. My ppor was built in 56 and have just had it restumped which was a recommendation in the b&p inspection when we bought. The house was out by 30mm which isn't too bad apparently as many places are left until they are 100mm out before action is taken. The thing is now the job is done and the concrete stumps are in other projects can go ahead like repainting etc due to the cracking that results from getting the house straight.

.... and needs additional subfloor ventilation but access is not possible.
You don't need access really. I see this a lot in some of the period style homes. IMO, rather than restump, if that is not necessary, why not try those sub-floor ventilation fans all around? They can even be solar powered these days. Google: subfloor ventilation fans

We have been told that we need to lift the boards to fix the damp problem, and given that the boards would be ruined, replace our wooden stumps with concrete ones.
If you are lifting the boards, then yes, replace the stumps with concrete ones. All this is going to be very expensive.:cool:

We are thinking of doing this, and simply replacing the floorboards with particle board and carpet, as these rooms will become bedrooms in the long term.
Oh please don't do that to a period style Victorian house.:eek: If you keep the renos in the period sytle you will maintain its character and value.

I would try and keep the boards if possible,

Q. Have the walls been installed before the floor?
Q. Is the base all brick with just poor ventilation?
Q. How high off the ground is the floor from ground level?
Q. Have you any photo's.

I would try and keep the floor boards if at all possible. This can be done just need a little care in the start.

If the stumps need replacing do it, remember a house is only as good as the foundations.

If the floor boards have been installed after the walls have been built much easier to remove. You basically need to get to the last board remove the skirting boards punch the nails through in the board against this wall, try and wiggle the board out, once this is done you maybe able to hit from underneath to lift the next board just be careful not to damage the grove of the board. Keep going till you have removed enough boards to allow access to do the stump work. Number the boards (underneath side) and replace back in same order.

Of course if you can get another board to match the existing this will make things much easier as you can just cut the board up against the wall cut.

Also depending on the underneath height you may only need one section of floor to be removed.

While you are underneath now will be a perfect time to install lots of sub floor ventilation. The last one I did was years ago and I constructed a access hole in a cupboard for the owners. Not saying to do this but keep in in mind.

Items of use for this project - Multi Tool, hammer, punch, chiesl, pinch bar, beer.

Are you planning to do some of the work yourself?

Brian

Get a quote from a restumping company.

My son had a property restumped, they virtually tunnelled underneath and were able to leave the floorboards untouched.

It's amazing what they can do with very little access.
Marg

Thank you for your replies.

Unfortunately, Brian, we won't be doing any of this work but thank you for your help- will help when I talk to the companies quoting.

Propertunity- yes, I agree just not sure if we run over budget.

Can anyone share their experience with lifting the floorboards? Are all the floorboards totally ruined- just wondering if it would be a false economy to ignore the stumps at the moment?
I had too do the floor in a rental bathroom last week,about 4 sqm's of new timber,I just layed the new floor over the old hardwood,75mm gal nails,and about 2 litres of decking oil on the old floor prior too the new timber going down,from my small experience start with the stumps first
have the total floor area's level then work up from there..good luck..
willair..

Back