Lighting advice for downlights

I need some advice on downlighting for my lounge

It's 4m x 4.5m and I want to put 9x 700 lumen LED downlights into the ceiling. This would give me enough lux but I'm concerned about the beam angle.

The beam angle is 36 degrees for each. Would this be enough to produce reasonably even lighting? or would it be annoyingly spotty? I don't mind if it's slightly spotty but not to the point where I need to move positions just to read at night.

When we replaced the dichroic downlights in our kitchen, eating area and back porch (also front porch and fence lights) with LEDs we took a sample light with a plug into the bathroom of the lighting shop so we could see how they looked in a real life situation.

The angle of some of them was distracting, though the dichroic lights certainly had a distinct direction downwards. We didn't really like the level of light from the ones with a definite direction, so chose instead to buy sealed units which spread the light. So we went from lights that you needed to be pretty much underneath the "spread" to see really well, to having general lighting in the whole room.

Our kitchen is about 3m x 5m and we have two lights over the bench, one over the toaster/kettle/coffee machine bench (these three line up equally spaced in the middle of the room) and one near the wall over the sink.

We also have two lights spaced equally over our everyday kitchen eating area, which is plenty. That area is about 3m x 4m.

The LED lights we first looked at would have not been bright enough, but the sealed units we got with the diffuser is more than enough.

It took a while to get used to. I did really love the light from the dichroics. The new ones gave off so much more light we had dimmers fitted. They flickered so much, we had the dimmers removed. I'm quite used to it now, but it was a bit of a change, having so much "general" light instead of the "spotlight" type we had had.

That is no help to you as I have no idea about lumens or wattages but I'm just thinking that in a 4m x 4.4m room you will feel like you under interrogation with 9 lights :eek:.

In contrast, the LED lights we have on our front porch and on the gate are quite different, no diffuser. You can clearly see the little dots of light and they are not strong enough to light up the path, and upstairs on the verandah you couldn't read by them, but they do the job required, ie. enough light for the front door and general ambience to sit on the verandah (as long as you don't want to read there at night - we have a standard lamp for that if needed).

You would probably be looking a tightening up the spacing between LEDs as compared to Dichroics ie decrease from 1.2-1.5m apart down to 0.9-1.0m apart.

Due to the narrower beam spread, the lights will need to be closer together, so 3 rows may not be out of the question (it will be an expensive solution to get the right outcome).

The things to consider are: angle of beam, brightness required (look at lux graph), purpose of lighting eg task, mood etc.

If you stick to a minimum of about 13watt LED down lights, you will have no problem. In fact, they are brighter than the old 50w halogens. Not cheap though. You will need to pay upwards of $50 per downlighting kit, including driver (transformer) plus installation. I installed six in a new kitchen
in an IP of mine, massive amounts of light. Could have got away with four. Very impressed.

The cheapo $10-$15 LED 12v lamps designed to replace existing halogen globes, using existing transformers, or GU10 base 240v LEDs are generally not bright enough, where the light really counts. They are however OK in situations where the amount of light is not critical.

Best advice is to see them working before buying them.

I'm happy to find the invoice so I can tell you the brand of the sealed units we used that are much brighter than the other LEDs we looked at. We got them from a lighting warehouse in Coorparoo for about $75 per unit.

If we had gone with the less bright LEDs we would have had to put in more than we did. As it was, we simply had them installed in the holes left by the dichroics.

Last week I bought a LED lights from ebay for my kitchen room. The pack of LED costs me about a $40. I used them below and above my kitchen cabinets.

Back