Liquidambar styraciflua 'Naree'

Hi All,

I am trying to get hold of some Liquidambar styraciflua 'Naree' trees. We think that they are one of the best courtyard trees going around.

In WA, we can only buy mature versions...even from wholesale nurseries.

Does anyone know where we could source these on the eastern seaboard?

Glenn

Glenn said:
Hi All,

I am trying to get hold of some Liquidambar styraciflua 'Naree' trees. We think that they are one of the best courtyard trees going around.

Glenn

Glenn

I'm not sure if Liquidambar styraciflua 'Naree' is the standard Liquid amber tree. If it is, I'd be wary . In Sydney the Liquid amber is considered a noxious weed and if you ever decide to change you mind have about the largest root system know to the " tree stumping community " .

We had one and had quotes averaging around 2K to remove the stump. These guys obviously knew what they were doing . We took a cheaper quote off a younger guy who obviously hadn't removed one before but I'll bet he won't make the same mistake again...... :rolleyes:

See Change

These types of liquid ambers are considered rare and so you may have trouble sourcing them.
There are several varieties of liquid amber trees:

LIQUIDAMBER ORIENTALIS Hamamelidaceae
Small leaved species attractively coloured in Autumn.
LIQUIDAMBER STYRACIFLUA GOLDEN TREASURE
Slow growing small tree. Yellow edged leaves.
LIQUIDAMBER STYRACIFLUA GUMBALL
Dwarf, compact bushy form.
LIQUIDAMBER STYRACIFLUA JENNIFER CARROL
Miniature version of the common Liquidambar, smaller in stature and leaf size. A neat compact pyramid shaped tree with good Autumn colour.
LIQUIDAMBER STYRACIFLUA NAREE
Slow growing form.Bright yellow leaves in Spring lessening in intensity over Summer.
LIQUIDAMBER STYRACIFLUA VARIEGATA
Slow growing tree. White edged leaves with some pink particularly towards Winter.

Hi Jacque and Sea_Change,

I spotted one of these trees at a tree farm north of Perth last week. It was magnificent, but at $300 for one in a 90 litre pot I thought it was a bit rich!

We are aware that Liquidambar trees have agressive root systems, and certainly would not plant one any closer than 20m from clay sewer pipes or 10m from a house.

Glenn

Well good luck Glenn. They are beautiful trees (I used to regularly climb a magnificient specimen as a child, in my large front yard) but hellish come raking time!
To get a mature specimen, you may have to fork out. I'd be asking where the wholesalers get their versions from, if you can.

I think there are issues with moving plant material to WA - probably better to source something locally.

Cheers,

Glenn

It is $300- but if it pays for itself with one tenant moving in 2 weeks earlier, it's worth it.

Can you pay for it through a LOC or other borrowing? You can't "depreciate" the cost of the tree, but you MAY be able to claim the interest cost.

If it is the one that grows up to 50m in height - dont touch it if you want it within 100 metres of a building.
At my mothers house, there was one in the local watertower paddock that went that far to reach the sewer - and in time crack the pipes :eek:
Liquid ambers (as Jacque said) leave a mess to clean up - leaves and those little prickly balls that hurt when you tread on them barefoot.

Was hoping this thread was going to be about the discovery of some new hybrid tree that mysteriously produces amber fluid. Oh well, not to worry. :rolleyes:

perky29 said:
If it is the one that grows up to 50m in height - dont touch it if you want it within 100 metres of a building.
At my mothers house, there was one in the local watertower paddock that went that far to reach the sewer - and in time crack the pipes :eek:
Liquid ambers (as Jacque said) leave a mess to clean up - leaves and those little prickly balls that hurt when you tread on them barefoot.

Hi Perky29,

The particular variety of Liquidambar that I am after only grows to around 6m in height and is only a slow grower. A specimen could be housed in a 90 litre pot indefinetely if the roots are kept trim.

Glenn

Glenn said:
Hi Perky29,

The particular variety of Liquidambar that I am after only grows to around 6m in height and is only a slow grower. A specimen could be housed in a 90 litre pot indefinetely if the roots are kept trim.

Glenn
this site has it going to 10m. Keep it in the pot.

But be careful. Some people don't like you growing pot :D .

Back