Longford Tas

Tasmania Longford

Does any one have any stars on Longford I believe it ids a classified town 20 K from Launceston

Fredo

Longford is a little town south of Launceston, on the Heritage Hwy. It has a population of around than 2,800, but it’s a popular tourist destination. Just like many of the historic towns situated between Hobart and Launceston.

Sorry, but don’t know it well enough to give it any IP stars……..just remember that although 20km doesn’t sound far to us. It can be a long way in Tassie eyes :) I would tend to stick to the major centres.

Ruby :)

Hello Fredo,

This is my very first post so I'm not sure if I've got the IT part of it right. But here goes.......

Longford isn't actually on the Heritage Highway between Launceston and Hobart. It's a little way out on its own.
It's a rural town and while you may be able to get a yield on the right property there'd be little in the way of large capital growth. Although I live in Hobart (used to live in Lonnie years ago) I still feel it's regarded as a rural town rather than a dormitory suburb of Launceston. Depends on what you want though.

Originally posted by glennp
Hello Fredo,

This is my very first post so I'm not sure if I've got the IT part of it right. But here goes.......

Good to see you finally posted Glenn

regards

Thanks Jakk - noticed on my profile that I was regarded as a lurker! Couldn't have that.

P.S. Fredo, I may have been technically incorrect in saying Longford wasn't on the Heritage Highway. I was trying to say it's not on the main highway between Launceston and Hobart (usually referred to by the locals as the Midlands Highway - now the HH).

Hi all

I'm another lurker from Tassie that felt it was time to break the ice....well frost here at the moment anyway.
There would be plenty of frost and fog in Longford at this time of the year as it is inland and a bit and flat.
The main employers in Longford are the Longford abattoirs which exports beef to Japan and the brickworks.The towns real claim to fame is that it hosted the Australian Grand Prix through the 50's and 60's in Jack Brabhams day on a street circuit.
I don't think capital growth is likely to be moving there to fast .Better to stick to the coast especially along the North where the new twin ferries travelling from Melbourne are really pushing things along with the influx of tourists.

But hey what do i know i bought my first IP in Queensland not Tassie
:)
Cheers

Originally posted by taz
Hi all

The towns real claim to fame is that it hosted the Australian Grand Prix through the 50's and 60's in Jack Brabhams day on a street circuit.

Hello Taz,

I actually worked at the very last Grand Prix (in the early 70's I think) at Longford. In fact I worked at a few including one won in pouring rain by Piers Courage heir to the Courage Brewery fortune who was later killed in a race car accident.

Not sure what that has to do with Fredo's interest in the place but there you go........

Hi Glennp

I'm a bit young to remember the racing but every time we used to drive past my Dad gave me the history lesson about the old circuit.I actually bought him a video called "Long weekend at Longford "which was an old documentry about the circuit.

I was told today that the real estate agents are actually handing out their brochures as people come off the ferries !!! How times have changed for this neck of the woods.
Thats alright though because its pushing up my PPOR value up here in Devonport.

Cheers

Back