Looking for new PM in Kalgoorlie

Hi all,

Does anyone have property in Kal?

If so, who do you use for PM?

What has your association with them been like?

I have been using Wades since we bought there in 2003, but a long line of incidents has bought us to a parting of ways.

Am now looking for a new one; any recommendations?

I am with Wades also and there seems to be constantly more expenses than any of my other properties. They charge me postage but only corespond via email :confused:. My PM seems to have gotten a bit better lately but 3 years ago had never even heard of realestate.com.au .:eek: Their monthly statement is a nightmare to decipher.

On the positive side, they do better and more regular inpections than my other PMs and seem to keep an eye on things more.

I would love to know who you choose and how they compare.

Have signed up Murphy Boyden as the new PM.

I'll give her a try. Not overly cheap, but then; none of them are over there.

I spoke to Margaret Boyden at length; turns out the rent is about $40 p/w shy of what it should be judging by her drive-by calcs without seeing the inside.

So, there's another good reason to off load Wades. :mad:

She went to great lengths to sell their service and history of low properties per staff (which was one of my criteria questions) - she volunteered that info without me asking.

As well as their excellent mediation processes and lack of turnover of properties (leaving) their service and low staff turnover (good sign).

Last edited:
Update

Well,

Margaret Boyden - Principal, Murphy Boyden R/E has turned out so far to be right on the ball.

She has been through the two properties we have there and in the case of the problem property with the GEHA lease; has read the riot act somewhat.

The GEHA lease means that they can rotate their staff through the property at will. We always get paid on time, and no vacancies, but the downside is the constant stream of little repairs and wear and tear stuff. The classical double-edged sword.

The tenants are there for a short time, and not responsible for anything, so they just live like trailer-trash mostly.

Anyway, after Margaret went through the place, she noticed several items that were not correct and told them to fix it immediately.

I had my suspicions that this was the case when we were with Wades, but they always hand-balled the responsibiltiy back on to me to fix the problems at my cost.

After 2 years of getting this treatment, we sacked them.

Margaret even calls by phone to discuss what goes on - not the lame email sent through by the 18 year old assistants who haven't got the experience or time to pursue our interests.

So, based on what I've seen so far, Margaret is the goods.

BayView
I went with Wades originally because when I bought the unit through them, they offered a management rate of 6.6% while the other agents in Kal wanted 10% from memory. Have you been able to negotiate a good deal with Murphy Boyden?

BayView
I went with Wades originally because when I bought the unit through them, they offered a management rate of 6.6% while the other agents in Kal wanted 10% from memory. Have you been able to negotiate a good deal with Murphy Boyden?

No.

Margaret was very firm about this, and she did a very nice job of selling her services over the phone, and why she was worth the money.

One of the things that impressed me with her was her view about staff to property ratios. She is very mindful of this and knows how bad it is for staff to be overloaded with properties they can't cope with. She takes pride in having all her staff long-term, whereas Wades had a higher turnover - a bad sign, and it turns out to be accurate.

She is charging me more than Wades was, but I got what I paid for so to speak, so I'm happy to give Margaret a go at her normal fee for a year and see how it goes.

The extra cost is tax deductible anyway, so I figure if I get double the service then I've had a win.

Ya gotta luv it!

Well, since the new PM has taken over, we have kicked out the GEHA tenants.

This was the recommendation of the new PM, but I had been thinking about it for some time based on the constant flow of niggly "repairs" we kept copping from this mob.

After her intial inspection she thought it would be better to be rid of them.

Obviously no respect for the property. They wanted us to coff up for new paint and carpet or they would not renew the lease, so we said no. They were going to renew for a further 3 x 2 lease.

Big call - as I said - good payers, no vacancies since day 1. But.....

So, we get them out, get the place painted and carpeted anyway. Suck shizen GEHA.

Today I get an email from Marg saying they have 2 applications for 12 month leases at $300 p/w - $25 more per week than GEHA.

GEHA are also paying compensation back to us for the carpet due to damage.

Thanks Margaret! Good work.

I have a break lease situation with my place. Still 6 months remaining on lease so not real concerned if another tenant cant be found for the time being. The company who leased will pay anyway. Maybe when time is closer we will change PMs too.
Wades tell me the rental market is very quiet at the moment, was $300 your asking price?

Wades tell me the rental market is very quiet at the moment, was $300 your asking price?

No; this is what the PM sent in the email as the asking amount.

The rental market is quieter for sure, but not dead. We got two applications in under 2 weeks since the ads went out.

Well, since the new PM has taken over, we have kicked out the GEHA tenants.

This was the recommendation of the new PM, but I had been thinking about it for some time based on the constant flow of niggly "repairs" we kept copping from this mob.

After her intial inspection she thought it would be better to be rid of them.

Obviously no respect for the property. They wanted us to coff up for new paint and carpet or they would not renew the lease, so we said no. They were going to renew for a further 3 x 2 lease.

Big call - as I said - good payers, no vacancies since day 1. But.....

So, we get them out, get the place painted and carpeted anyway. Suck shizen GEHA.

Today I get an email from Marg saying they have 2 applications for 12 month leases at $300 p/w - $25 more per week than GEHA.

GEHA are also paying compensation back to us for the carpet due to damage.

Thanks Margaret! Good work.

This is an excellent result! Congrats on making the correct decisions! :)

how is your agent going

We are in the process of hiring a PM in Kalgoorlie so i was just after a progress report with your agent

Ta

Back