Loosing vs. Losing

the one that really irritates me, to which i constantly find myself correcting people is:

BROUGHT, vs BOUGHT.

IE: "We went down to the shops and brought some milk".

FFS!!!

Bought = the past tense of buying something
Brought = the past tense of bringing something

A little off topic, but I get strangely irritated when people get "lend", "loan" and "borrow" all mixed up....:confused:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Doesn't phase me a bit.

Unless you do it in the wrong faze of the moon :)

I have a small child that uses big words. I'm a walking grammar nazi. My pet peeves in the World of Elf are currently:

This is much worser
I writ a long letter today
I bet you in a race!

Before she could read she was writing notes everywhere that were phonetically spelt. So I'd find a note that said "I luf yoo very muj", which is incomprehensible until you read it out loud as "I love you very much". The disturbing thing is there's people posting on forums on the internet who barely spell any better than that, and they are a lot older than she was back then, and they have seriously managed to graduate from high school. And quite frequently, they are also breeding. What hope has society got?!?!

Last edited:
mine is when people say "haitch" instead of "aitch" aaaarrrgghh! If you can't even get the alphabet right what hope is there for society??:eek:

note: most of my children's teachers have said it incorrectly.

Now I'm confused. English is not my first language but we were taught American English in school. When I migrated here everybody's pronouncing "h" as "haitch" and not what I got used to which is "aitch". I thought it was the proper way to pronounce it here. Now you're telling me "haitch" is wrong? It's so confusing!

How about "schedule"? Why is it pronounced "shedule" instead of "skedule"? Why not pronounce school as "shool"?

I always found it odd that, with the same pronunciation of the word invloved, you could have the exact opposite of meaning:

The house was razed ...............(as in completely demolished)
The house was raised .............. (as in built from the ground up)

I can't understand why immigrants have such a hard time getting our language :D:D

I'm in complete agreeance that in one foul swoop the english language has been disincentivized completely.

I never seized to be amazed at the frutility of people speaking beyond their station although I do understand that we should avoid cliches like the plague and the measure of the man is not in the cover.

I hate it when people use SMS/chat type abbreviations- even in emails. Like my daughters do.

sms.jpg

errant apostrophes!
eg, banana's, vegie's

and all those other things people have mentioned.
arrrrggh! runs screaming from this thread.

with the same pronunciation of the word invloved, you could have the exact opposite of meaning
Then there are those pairs of words which sound like they should have opposite meanings but in fact mean exactly the same thing:

flammable / inflammable
regardless / irregardless
ravel / unravel

GP

Then there are those pairs of words which sound like they should have opposite meanings but in fact mean exactly the same thing:

Yes, and then the use of "dis" to make the opposite of a word.
agree / disagree

but then if you are disappointed, were you previously appointed, or disgruntled now, were you gruntled before?

Let's get pacific! I don't like it when they say aks instead of ask. Don't you agree but. :p
(I think putting but on the end of a sentence is more of an Aussie thing though - I don't hear it used by non-Aussies).

I'm quite pedantic about spelling and grammar too, but realise that the English language is hard to come to grips with and that not every word/sound follows rules.

I tutor my 6 & 10 year old grandsons, and as someone said earlier in this thread, it's not until you're teaching someone that you really see what they're up against.

I also use some of the old rhymes that I remember being taught and have also made up some of my own.
Schools apparently don't do this nowadays, nor make a point of sorting our alphabet into vowels and consonants. These two things don't solve the whole problem but they do help.

One of my daughters is a high school English teacher and she doesn't correct spelling or grammar - it's not part of the curriculum. So if it wasn't covered in primary school they've missed learning it!

I've heard they are going to reintroduce grammar - who is going to teach it? It hasn't been taught in schools for years and the only ones who would know it is the older teachers, if there are any left!

Slightly off topic, but I absolutely hate the way they teach times tables nowadays. e.g. 8x1, 8x2, 8x3. This, to my mind, is not the eight times table! 1x8,2x8,3x8 is!

Last edited:
Personal irks - apostrophes and their overuse - they are everywhere! You don't need to apostrophise a plural.
Oh yes, baby, you're singing my song!

CD's, TV's, iPod's, mobile phone's, apple's, and even avocadoe's!

As my Mum once said, "why do so many people with poor language skills decide that the ideal job for them is to be a SIGNWRITER?" :D

Back