Loosing vs. Losing

The word "wanna" - I see it used quite a bit on assesment submissions from uni students - some of them post-grad!!! :mad:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Haha, that reminds me; My best friend growing up always 'et' his food.
My father-in-law says that, too. Being a pedant, he got out a dictionary and proved to me that it's an acceptable alternative pronunciation. :)

eg from dictionary.com:
et  [et] Show IPA
–verb Chiefly North Atlantic, South Midland, and Southern U.S. Nonstandard.
a pt. of eat.​

I still think it sounds dreadful. ;)

My HATE:

I want for NOTHINK.

Instead of nothing. AGHHHHHHHHHHHH

What irritates me the most is that well known actors do it ALL THE TIME in movies. I can't believe that it is not picked up.

Read your script! What do you know?

nothinG

My husband still insists on saying it and the children continually correct him!:D

Regards JO

one thing creeping in waaayy too much lately is when people say anthink instead of anything.

Also as a bit of interest the word cleave means both to push together and pull apart. Go figure!!

one thing creeping in waaayy too much lately is when people say anthink instead of anything.

Also as a bit of interest the word cleave means both to push together and pull apart. Go figure!!

Oh yes, that's the other one I hate, thanks Petal. I think it's worse.:p

Regards JO

Droppin yer G's is very common out here in the bush. Yer gotta leave them G's off everythin or it get in th' way of thins.

Makes you sound like a right bogan just by losing all your G's. My daughter does it intermittantly, not as much in the new school as the old one.

And you lot further up can suck up the apostrophes in the "G's", mmmkay?

the ideal job for them is to be a SIGNWRITER?" :D
sotp1.jpg

same%20crew%20sotp.jpg

Droppin yer G's is very common out here in the bush. Yer gotta leave them G's off everythin or it get in th' way of thins.

Makes you sound like a right bogan just by losing all your G's. My daughter does it intermittantly, not as much in the new school as the old one.

And you lot further up can suck up the apostrophes in the "G's", mmmkay?

Hi RE,

LOL
I don't mind dropping the G's. My brother is from Penrith, as is my nephew and most of their friends talk like that. I find it sort of endearing. .:D He would sound way to posh if he started adding them in and I bet would get a ribbing from his mates.:)

Regards JO

Hi RE,

LOL
I don't mind dropping the G's. My brother is from Penrith, as is my nephew and most of their friends talk like that. I find it sort of endearing. .:D He would sound way to posh if he started adding them in and I bet would get a ribbing from his mates.:)

Regards JO

I'm from out that way and remember one of my neighbours telling me that she used to think I was a "posh soccermum" type before she got to know me.:rolleyes: This was because of the way I speak.

On another note, my kids don't drop their 'G's, and I don't recall a lot of their friends doing it either.

My personal annoyances are "prideful" instead of proud, and "humbleness" instead of humility. I'm sure there are other examples.

on the subject of spelling, my daughter in year 3 got 99% in her recent spelling test. The word she got wrong was "ancient".... She was very cross that she had followed the rules and been let down.

Pen

Now I'm confused. English is not my first language but we were taught American English in school. When I migrated here everybody's pronouncing "h" as "haitch" and not what I got used to which is "aitch". I thought it was the proper way to pronounce it here. Now you're telling me "haitch" is wrong? It's so confusing!

I'm with you dwv, it's all very confusing for non-native speakers...

Just found this on http://www.abc.net.au/wordmap/rel_stories/aitch.htm - nice try to put some logic back into language use ;).

kaf

To aitch or haitch?

Battleweary though we all are, we must face up to the problem of aitch versus haitch yet again. Now I know that you have all instantly retreated to the trenches but come on out for a minute and consider the situation calmly.

For various historical reasons we have ended up with this variation in pronunciation. Those of you who say aitch would do well to bear in mind that an accident of linguistic change has meant that the Latin ha - the name for the letter which illustrated the aspiration - has been altered by degrees through aha to ache to aitch - a name that no longer illustrates aspiration.

The attempt to return the aspiration to the name is logical enough. Any child learning the alphabet understands that a is for apple and b is for bat. This is a good starting point for capturing the sound of letters, although already quite a lot has been glossed over in the creation of letter-to-sound equivalences. It is intuitively more logical to relate the name of the letter h to the aspirated rather than the unaspirated form. That is to say, h is for hat rather than hour. "Haitch is for hat", the child says. "No! No! No!," we all yell. "You must never, never say haitch. Aitch is for hat". It doesn’t add up but the parental pain is evident so the children add that to the list of extraordinary and pointless things they are supposed to say and do while their parents are around. []

Hi RE,

LOL

Regards JO

Um, "He would sound way to posh" should be "He would sound way too posh" meaning more than usual/normal/accepted. :p

I've also noticed a lot of people don't use 'ed' to show past tense. You don't notice it so much in their speaking, it's when they write something it becomes obvious.

Even after 40+ years iof being in Australia another Aussieism still bothers me - the word yous. The plural of you is you - if grammar was taught everyone would know that. I've had heaps of occasions when I've used you in the plural sense and someone gets shirty because they think I'm making a personal attack on them. When I explain how the word can be used they then get annoyed because they think I'm pointing out that they're stupid/uneducated! I always feel I have to add "and by you I mean all of you" whenever I use it because I don't want to give in to the "if you can't beat them - join them" brigade and use yous instead!

And don't get me started on the Americanism of using the word like in front of practically everything! Like, "my friend and I went to the mall and we like saw this really nice dress and it was like..... black. And my friend went like Wow! 'cos she really liked it."

Last edited:
I was teased as a child for 'trying to sound posh and better then us'. I was told I spoke with a plum in my mouth. I went home, stood in front of the mirror and watched my mouth. I couldn't work out what the meanie had meant. I was 9 and have never forgotten.

I have English parents and I guess my Aussie x Pommie pronunciation of things may have sounded posh. I soon learnt to talk like everyone else.

Then I became a receptionist in some fancy offices and had to revive my 'poshness'.

Aside from all the gripes mentioned, my husband and I groan when someone on TV ends a sentence with an upward inflection when making a statement.

Back