Loosing vs. Losing

Let's get pacific!

hahaha!!. Very funny:D

I also use some of the old rhymes that I remember being taught and have also made up some of my own.
Schools apparently don't do this nowadays, nor make a point of sorting our alphabet into vowels and consonants. These two things don't solve the whole problem but they do help.

Since when? I've always used them and teachers I know do too.
Drop the E add ING. etc.
My kids (class kids) know the difference between vowels and consonants before they go to Year 1.

I've heard they are going to reintroduce grammar - who is going to teach it? It hasn't been taught in schools for years and the only ones who would know it is the older teachers, if there are any left!

Grammar IS in the primary school curriculum. It doesn't need to be reintroduced.

Hi Guys,

Having just moved to Brisbane I can say that the one thing that completely perplexes me is the propensity of Brisbanites to turn every statement into a question, or apparantly express surprise, through the addition of the interjection "hey".

For example, why does a simple statement such as:

"It is really hot today."

get expressed by a Brisbanite as:

"It is really hot today hey!/?"

So, is it an expression of surprise or is it meant to solicit a response by turning the statement into a question? I'm confused, but then again I'm not from 'round these parts hey... Is it just a Brisbane thing, or is it QLD in general?

Whilst typing this post I was reminded of a few other misuses that bug me:

solicit / illicit
grammar / grammer

Also, finishing a question without a question mark and inconsistent or absent use of commas in punctuation.

Cheers,
Michael

"It is really hot today."
get expressed by a Brisbanite as:
"It is really hot today hey!/?"

....Is it just a Brisbane thing, or is it QLD in general?

It is a Qld thing hey.

It gets worse as you go further North. By the time you get to Cairns its on everything 'ey (and the 'h' is dropped)....and every statement ends in 'ey. It is not a question. The kiwis I know seem to do it a lot also but more 'ey bro

Why don't the forums enforce spellcheck? OK, grammar check won't help, but...

WHY DON'T PEOPLE BLOODY-WELL LEARN TO SPELL???????

I know; it takes effort, using your brain for a few minutes per day, and getting off yer arrrze and getting involved in life - which soooo many people simply don't do.

I guess we can always blame our teachers, yes?

Whaddabout this for a bogan effort; one of my son's school friends have 100% bogan parents. Can't cop them. Brain dead. Feel sorry for the kid.

The wench mother was having a cry (to me) the other week because a note came back from the school saying they (the parents) need to spend more time with their son after school reading to him, and getting him to read aloud.

How hard can this be? I mean, you get to spend quality time with your kids, which is what it's all about I would have thought?

Her disgusted reply? "It's the bloody school's job to teach the kids to read, not mine..."

Yay, we can produce 'em, can't we?

So, this is why god created spellchecker.

I get letters saying "your child is getting the academic award for her year level" :D Her current teacher almost keeled over in shock when she heard The Child only learnt to read at the end of her first year at school, she thought she would have been reading at 2.
Her disgusted reply? "It's the bloody school's job to teach the kids to read, not mine..."
Actually it's the television's job. Uneducated woman :rolleyes:

We leave ABC running as background noise and the toddler has quietly learnt to count when we weren't looking. She can also spot Thomas the Tank Engine at 100 yards, as she demonstrated at the Christmas pageant on the weekend. But the downside is, she thinks muffins are "cake" and books are "stories", which just isn't right. Damn you Aunty!

A little off topic, but I get strangely irritated when people get "lend", "loan" and "borrow" all mixed up....:confused:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Yes!! Aaarrrghhhh!!!! Oh, why did I start this thread? :mad: :eek: :D

I thought I got over all this grammar stuff when I "writ" a piece at school (OK, so it was longer ago than I'd like to admit) entitled "How to talk proper" and broke all the rules.

Last edited:
One of my pet hates is when people use "that" in sentences that don't really need it, and that sometimes they should be using "which". And then there are those that used "that which"...well they're just over inclusive, eh! (See I'm from Cairns...I use "eh".) :)

My pet hate is when people say 'brought' instead of 'bought' when referring to buying something.

My husband came home from work one day and said that he corrected some guy at work when he said 'brung' instead of 'brought'. Some other guy said: "I don't say 'brung, I say 'brang'". And he was serious! Lol

The other one is when people spell 'stationery' with an 'a' (stationary) when talking about stationery supplies.

And the list goes on...

Is it just me??

It appears that the singular has become the plural. Most sports commentators these days refer to the team as plural. I was always under the impression that a team was a single entity and thus referred to as such.

i.e....the team is. Instead they say ....the team are.:eek:

The flock is/the sheep are.

The crowd is/the people are.

No........?

This has only been happening for a couple of years now.

Maybe it is just me but it really annoys me.:(:confused:

I also agree wholeheartedly with Bayview. Most people do no read what they have written and therefore do not pick up their spelling mistakes. It is not hard.......difficult.

Cheers

Chris.

The handout from my son's 3 year old kinder (activity group) had 3 errors in it. I was totally distracted from the presentation being given.

The other beauty was at a open day for a primary school I went to for my daughter. Flashed up, larger than life, in the powerpoint presentation was the opening hours of the canteen:
"Tueday closed".

Sure, miss the 's', we all make mistakes... but on the big screen advertising your school?

Suffice to say, my daughter is NOT going to that school.

(Is anyone else being really careful with their spelling in this thread? I'm quite nervous to hit 'submit reply' in case I've made a glaring error :eek:)

The handout from my son's 3 year old kinder (activity group) had 3 errors in it. I was totally distracted from the presentation being given.

The other beauty was at a open day for a primary school I went to for my daughter. Flashed up, larger than life, in the powerpoint presentation was the opening hours of the canteen:
"Tueday closed".

Sure, miss the 's', we all make mistakes... but on the big screen advertising your school?

Suffice to say, my daughter is NOT going to that school.

(Is anyone else being really careful with their spelling in this thread? I'm quite nervous to hit 'submit reply' in case I've made a glaring error :eek:)

Edit button is our saviour

A guy I used to work for was terrible at spelling and grammar. He would give me a lot of his documents to proof-read. All errors were "typos", even when he'd write a complete sentence that didn't make any sense.

eg. "We will provides trained for you staff"

So - errors in this thread are typos!! :D

Alright smarty, you got me :eek:

The thing is, I wasn't asking for it! I admitted I was nervous about posting! Lucky I'm in a good mood following my drink of wine.

Look for all you know, I may have meant my son's kinder is 3 years old!

Picky pants :p

Back