Love him or hate him?

Good on him for being successful, but I always got the wheeler dealer vibe from him.
Not sure if it's justified or not.

Not easy to be in the media spotlight and do well so good luck to him. Wish more Gen Y had his attitude as I find many quite disillusioned and choose to blame the baby boomers rather than make something of themselves.

friggin awesome for him!!!

good on him, came from nothing, these are the people I respect,

that being said, I dont believe in a second the ipsiwch deal of $35k when others were selling for $150k, not for a second, even if the house was burnt to the ground, the block must have been worth $100k at least

that being said, I dont believe in a second the ipsiwch deal of $35k when others were selling for $150k, not for a second, even if the house was burnt to the ground, the block must have been worth $100k at least

Thinking the same thing - houses are not like rugs at a persian rug gallery. You can't just get 75% off

I've got no problems with him getting the media attention he gets. Given his age, it certainly makes a good story. He had a passion for real estate and had the discipline to make sacrfices so good on him.
Not sure I'd want the hassle of managing 160 properties though!

Pity he doesn't post any more, he'd love See-Changes Sydney thread

Property millionaire Nathan Birch has bought more than 160 properties, mostly in places like Mount Druitt and St Marys in Sydney west

A few others working in that same area such as the Follow Me Chat Club, The Next Property Millionaire, Property Secrets etc stumbled and fell

Are there Hater's?

Well done to Nathan to keep going strong all these years.

It would be good to know the real figures on these deals and returns, rather than the dreamy quoted figures which are obviously overlooking a few costs, such as 400k annual return for a Blue Mountains motel.

He's done a great job with the media. The article caught my eye when reading a paper this morning.

Cheers

Jamie

Karina (investor with top thread 23 properties in 5 years), also from Sydney emailed the article to me, another successful lady:)

Wish she would also post her latest ventures.

Cheers
MTR:)

One of Nathan's biggest strengths at this point is possibly that he's built several additional businesses around his investing. I cringe a little about statements like, "Buying at a discount", but with other revenue streams the property portfolio can become the long term investment rather then the foundation.

I actually don't doubt that he is buying at a discount now days because he's bulk buying, I'm just skeptical when people use this term for individual purchases.

From the article: ("Avoid trying to time the market. I never consider if this is the right time to buy. I look at what I can make a profit from in the current market.")

That was certainly the case using their services to buy in Gladstone, unit almost impossible to secure permanant tenancy, purchased mid 2's, supposedly worth 300k, now lucky to be valued at 200k. So that means backwards of 100k. Maybe they should actually try to consider if was the right time to buy for their clients rather than getting the upfront 10k from all investors then laughing all the way to the bank. Yes they made a profit, us investors didn't. Valuable & painful financial lesson learnt, not to mention taken a massive step backwards in my investing goals.

From the article: ("Avoid trying to time the market. I never consider if this is the right time to buy. I look at what I can make a profit from in the current market.")

That was certainly the case using their services to buy in Gladstone, unit almost impossible to secure permanant tenancy, purchased mid 2's, supposedly worth 300k, now lucky to be valued at 200k. So that means backwards of 100k. Maybe they should actually try to consider if was the right time to buy for their clients rather than getting the upfront 10k from all investors then laughing all the way to the bank. Yes they made a profit, us investors didn't. Valuable & painful financial lesson learnt, not to mention taken a massive step backwards in my investing goals.

I hesitated before responding to this thread. I then read this quote which confirmed some of my suspicions.
Nathan has achieved more than me financially at a younger age. If that is the measure of success then well done.
The 35k property- I would love the address for that to see what the real story is- not just a story/figure dropped in passing to get prospective client's lining up for a piece of the action. Until I see it I remain sceptical.

Maybe Nathan will offer a workshop on the "negotiating skills" in play- or better yet just post them on the forum in point form. I think however this forum is no longer of any use to him so I'll be pleasantly surprised if he responds to this thread.

Seems to be a familiar pattern with highly successful property investors, they start off as passive investors with day jobs and they then move on to starting their own business/es using their expertise, ie BA, mentors, developers, mortgage brokers, educators/workshops, writing books etc. McKnight comes to mind:)

I expect their businesses become their main income, accumulating property no longer required.

Good on him. :)

Everyones looking for inspiration - whether it be investing or in their day job - and he's managed to develop himself a reputation as what 'young property investors should aspire to be'. I'm sure he'll reap the dividends from it.

I really like how he preaches a plan when investing. Lots of first timers are very much into the hype of buying a property, they do it without a plan and it can easily lead to poor decision making.

I'm also not a fan of this quote from the article

Avoid trying to time the market. I never consider if this is the right time to buy. I look at what I can make a profit from in the current market

Purchasing BMV is pointless if the market is declining, because if the market continues to decrease then it will no longer be BMV it will just be market value.

Buying BMV is great as long as the area you're buying in still has good growth drivers, no point buying something discounted if thats going to be the new price soon.

What get's me is that timing was one of the best things for Nathan, he entered into the Sydney market at a great time and went extremely hard. It was close to perfect 'timing' whether he knows that or not.

I think if Nathan could continue to purchase BMV but in selected areas focusing on timing that market would continue to grow. All be it a moot point really as I would be surprised if the businesses arent the major focus now.

I'm also not a fan of this quote from the article

Purchasing BMV is pointless if the market is declining, because if the market continues to decrease then it will no longer be BMV it will just be market value.

Buying BMV is great as long as the area you're buying in still has good growth drivers, no point buying something discounted if thats going to be the new price soon.

What get's me is that timing was one of the best things for Nathan, he entered into the Sydney market at a great time and went extremely hard. It was close to perfect 'timing' whether he knows that or not.

I think if Nathan could continue to purchase BMV but in selected areas focusing on timing that market would continue to grow. All be it a moot point really as I would be surprised if the businesses arent the major focus now.

agree, BUT
well look at it this way, his core business now is BA and other related services,

if you quote "timing is key, wait until teh market is good then buy,"

thats basically telling people not to use his service now, but later,

bad business move!!

Back