Love the property but dislike the agents. What should I do?

Hi all, I have recently inspected an apartment in Camperdown Sydney and really like the place and the area. I am considering to make an offer, but have just known that the real estate agents have bad reputation. To assure the information I got is truth, I have another look of the information on advertisement. I found that the agent exaggerated the size of the apartment for . The picture is photoshopped to make the apartment look larger; the figure in floor plan is wrong/contradictory and doesn't match those in his email. Now I really have no confidence and trust on these agents, but I am still very interested in this apartment. I believe it is the agents, but not the landlord, dishonest. I wonder is there anywhere I can by pass these doggy people and talk to the landlord directly? I found that the no. of people attended the inspection are much less then I expected. Guess it was because potential buyers have already know the bad reputation of this agency and didn't want to deal with them...

Most professional photos make the place look bigger via using special lenses.

If you've inspected it, seen it first hand, why bother what the floor plan is like on the net? If you have seen it, are happy with it, who cares whether you like the agent or not? Just make an offer you are happy with.

Crap, I think you need to adjust your expectation on (selling) agent - don't expect to like them, or even trust them. They're there to get the most money for sellers, not looking after your best interest.

Put offer, get the property in the best price you can possibly have and agent begone after.

thanks for the advices. I know I should adjust my mentality and get used to the fact that agents are here to protect the interest of sellers, but not buyers ...

Sorry to vent a bit, but it is an unfair game, buyers have no protection or have to pay agency fee, but we have already beard the stamp duty alone :(

Agents are NOT there to protect the interest of the sellers.
They are only interested in making sure they get their commission.

We just grit our teeth and remember that we only deal with the agent for a few weeks.

There's some Chinese proverb to the following: Man who wait for roast duck to fly into mouth will be very hungry. That's exactly right.

Thanks for all the advice. Guess i still haven't recovered from the bad experience I had in my previous attempt that I met some deceitful agents and lost the deposit...

You can engage a buyer's agent if you think it's worth it or have a solicitor look over the contract if you think that will give you peace of mind.

Either way, you will learn from this experience.

Unfortantly the agent you don't like has the property you have two choices, either deal with them and get the deal done or move on.

Remember the agent works for the vendor and not for you so that is why you might feel like they are not as transparent with their information.

Regarding the photos all professional photos have been photoshopped and a lot of photographers will use a wide angle lens to make the room look larger. Photos is to get you through the door and make it look as best it can.

Have a look at rental photos and you will see amateur photos without work done to them.

Thanks for all the advice. Guess i still haven't recovered from the bad experience I had in my previous attempt that I met some deceitful agents and lost the deposit...

Understand and feel your pain, but try not to tar all selling agents with the same brush. There are ethical ones out there who do the right thing.

As others have already said, when purchasing, put personal feelings aside, conduct your DD (obtaining a copy of the contract with SP will confirm unit size via sqm) and strategize to secure. Hope it pans out better this time around for you :)

A property is a property, other then the warm and fuzzy feeling you get when dealing with nice people, it doesnt change the property at all. once the transaction is 1% complete, you'll never hear from them again anyway

in fact, if the agent is rude, I am more willing to be rude back to them and am happier to send out an insulting offer

I went and viewed a property where the agent was an elderly husband and wife, while the husband had a tube protruding from his throat , and had to press on the area to talk, and you still couldnt understand him,

that made me feel bad, lucky I didnt offer on it

Back