Lucky Bugger ...

I ran into an old mate of mine yesterday who I hadn't seen for quite a while. He told me that he had recently sold his home for $1.4 million (sale date September 2003). He bought it in March 2000 for $575k. That is, a capital gain of $825k in 3.5 years or nearly 35% return compounding per annum - and it is all tax free!!! That is slightly more than I earn per year :D :D and he didn't have to work for it.

LUCKY BUGGER I thought.

Then, he told me that he separated from his wife about 3 months ago (that is why he sold the home) and wouldn't be spending Christmas Day this year with his four kids, the oldest being 16.

I will be with my kids - may be I am the LUCKY BUGGER I thought.

It just goes to show that life riches can be measured in many different ways. Sometimes, the grass may look greener on the other side of the fence but, when you get the full story, you may find out that it isn't.

Merry Christmas to everyone and may 2004 be very propserous for all of you (whichever way you measure it).

Last edited:
I too consider myself very fortunate. I have married my soulmate, Les and I have two wonderful healthy sons. This Christmas and everyday, infact, I thank God from the bottom of my heart for them.

Merry Christmas to you too Kieran, and Merry Christmas to all on forum. I hope to meet a lot more of you all in the New Year.

:)

You're absolutely right.

I told the story here about a couple who retired onto a golf course lifestyle which was only for the very very well off. I stayed with them overnight.

They had reached their dream.

Were they happy?

Not a bit, judging by the day I spent there. There was a lot of sniping.

And a lady who is happy doesn't need to have a glass of wine at 2PM while going down to the shopping.

Back