MacBook Pro

Just knocked over a full glass of water onto the keyboard causing the laptop to turn off immediately. Has this happened to anyone else and if so was it possible to be repaired rather then have to buy a new one? Im going to leave it sitting in rice overnight it hope It will magically start working again in the Morning but i doubt it.

Try drying it out and seeing if it goes back on
Take it to the apple store, dont tell them what happened
Next time buy windows :p

I knocked a couple of drops of liquid into one a couple of years back.. the machine still powered up, display didn't work.

Took to apple. Repair cost as much as a new one. Got it replaced on insurance.
Thought i'd chuck the broken one on ebay to see if anyone could use it?

Sooo? the techies went nuts for it . My busted, non-repairable machine sold for $1400.

A new one was worth $1800.

A few years back we bought our daughter a Mac which cost something like $2.5k from memory.

She spilt coffee on it within a week. It was non repairable and not subject to warranty.

She didn't get another one.

I don't know if it could have been sold on eBay.

They are all in one units but it was repaceable for about $600 for the keyboard section.

Or you can buy a great Linux laptop (they come with Windows pre-installed, so it would be a dual boot) for less than the cost of replacing the keyboard on one of those overpriced hipster accessories.

http://www.linuxnow.com.au/nsintro.html

Personally I would go with either Linux Mint or Mageia.

Honestly, to this day, I just do not understand why people would pay roughly four (or more!) times the price for a crappy system that forces you to conform to what software they decide is appropriate for you to use.

Here is a fairly basic system from Linux Now. Keep in mind this comes with both Windows and Linux installed.

http://www.linuxnow.com.au/nshpF8Z12PA.html

Here is roughly the equivalent from Crapple (one of the two bottom options).

http://store.apple.com/au/buy-mac/macbook-pro

People are just flat out crazy.

Ahhh man, so you're telling me that they don't grow out of the "break everything" stage :(

Cheers

Jamie

Prepare yourself, they get much worse! And what they break is so much more expensive...iPhone screens, laptops, heck even the toyota yaris manual we are teaching them to drive in has been abused beyond belief... 3 tyres and a buckled rim in 12 mths, always the front left, and that's the one who passed her test???

I loved when they broke things like singing Bananas in pyjamas and tickle me elmo's ;)

Junior has a compulsory MacBook Air for school - damned expensive thing too - and a piece of rubbish when it comes to durability.

As one example - after only one year we've been informed that her power cord damage is not normal wear and tear and will have to be paid for (at $110) due to it splitting along it's length.

Not happy - the cord sits in the corner of the dining room, plugged in, and is only draped over to the table to plug in the laptop when in use - it's not like she's deliberately destroyed it ... the IT guy then said that lots of kids have the same problem of the cord splitting ... gee shucks ... maybe it's a fault with the cable then!

Unlike my 5 year old Toshiba that has been dropped and spilt on and chewed by the dog and still in perfect working order - with no cable faults asides from a few teeth marks.

Wouldn't buy a Mac if you paid me

Dry it out for a lot longer than a day - if it was just water then I think you have a good chance of it being fine. Water itself won't cause issues - its the resulting corrosion from being improperly dried that kills it.

Don't bother putting it in rice - not a lot of moisture is absorbed.

Instead, place it somewhere very warm, dry and ideally with good airflow. You need to be evaporating the water inside, then replacing that moist air with dryer air.

Leave for as long as possible - a week if you can.

I once had a mate who spilt a cup of milo into a laptop keyboard. There was so much that it flowed through the keyboard and the cooling fan was pumping it out the side. I took it apart, cleaned it and sprayed it with isopropyl alcohol cleaner. After letting it dry out for a week on top of a old hot running amplifier, it went back together and worked for many years.

Unlike my 5 year old Toshiba

I have a Toshiba, too. Wish I didn't, lol. Takes so long to boot up, what with all the garbage they install on there. I'm not kidding - I have shut down and rebooted my PC from Linux into Windows in less time than it took my laptop to boot up. I looked into removing a lot of the crap that was on there, only to discover that removing certain programs would cause the laptop to stop working!

Back