Mackay, What Suburb

Hey Everyone..

I have made a decision that i will be buying a new house and land in Mackay for my second investment. I just can't make the decision where in Mackay i will be buying.

Im trying to leave my own personal preferences out of what to buy and thinking more what everyone else looks for in a house.

Ive been told lots of people own boats around Mackay so side access on a decent size property to store a boat would be good. Blocks are ranging from 300 to 1000m2 depending where you want to buy.

Ive also been told the Northern Beaches are really nice and lots of infrastructure going on with new schools, shopping centres ect. But traffic is really bad to travel from the north to the south on Mackay. The south is more the ghetto side but it is also where all the industrial estates are and the way out to the mines if people are doing a DIDO. So much more employment on the south side.

Im currently thinking i want something on the north side with 700m2+ of land. I'm thinking the land it what is worth the money so i should try and get a decent amount of it.

Am i looking to far into all of this? if one area of Mackay does well will all areas do the same??

Anyone's thoughts, ideas or views would be great to hear your 2 cents worth..

Hi Happydays,

You are quite on the money with your research so far, except the traffic is not a problem, It's just the locals having a whinge that it can take you two more minutes to get to work.

I have lived at the northern beaches for the last two years and it is definitely a nice area to live.

Take a trip and check it out before you invest, get yourself some confidence in the area you wish to invite in !

Good luck.

Hi Happydays,

You are quite on the money with your research so far, except the traffic is not a problem, It's just the locals having a whinge that it can take you two more minutes to get to work.

I have lived at the northern beaches for the last two years and it is definitely a nice area to live.

Take a trip and check it out before you invest, get yourself some confidence in the area you wish to invite in !

Good luck.

What he said^^^

Take a trip up there. Get up there and have a look around at your target areas. This will benefit you a lot more.

I lived and worked out of Mackay for a few years and it really is still rather a small city so travel and traffic is not an issue.

Buy where you get the best bargain and make sure you have side access and a big shed for my boat:D

Happily living on the south side, minutes to the city centre, airport and Paget (major industrial centre). Maybe traffic is subjective but I dread driving to and from the North side in peak times, tenants applying to rent my houses (also on the south side) moving to get out of the driving. Most residential areas in the high density zoned sections around the city centre are a bit um... feral. Oops, did I just say that? Plenty of decent areas away from flats and units. You really would be best to come up and have a drive around and see for yourself. Be wary of properties that are all newly renovated, or at least check that they weren't flooded in 2008.

Hey Everyone..

I have made a decision that i will be buying a new house and land in Mackay for my second investment. I just can't make the decision where in Mackay i will be buying.

Im trying to leave my own personal preferences out of what to buy and thinking more what everyone else looks for in a house.

Ive been told lots of people own boats around Mackay so side access on a decent size property to store a boat would be good. Blocks are ranging from 300 to 1000m2 depending where you want to buy.

Ive also been told the Northern Beaches are really nice and lots of infrastructure going on with new schools, shopping centres ect. But traffic is really bad to travel from the north to the south on Mackay. The south is more the ghetto side but it is also where all the industrial estates are and the way out to the mines if people are doing a DIDO. So much more employment on the south side.

Im currently thinking i want something on the north side with 700m2+ of land. I'm thinking the land it what is worth the money so i should try and get a decent amount of it.

Am i looking to far into all of this? if one area of Mackay does well will all areas do the same??

I'm heading to Mackay this week-end to check out the North vs. South side myself.

Hi Temps,

When on the north side, check out the Eimeo hotel for lunch or a quick beer.

it's a good spot, you might also get to see some whales playing out in the ocean !

Southside, Ooralea and Marian.

Northside, Rural View and some of the new estates in the Northern Beaches areas. Problem is there is a fair amount of activity in the NB and a lot of land is due to come online soon. I believe it will get snapped up though!

As for land content, you will want 800m2 if you can get it. MRC minimum lot is 400m2 for a split block (they are approving 320m2 in small doses in some estates).

Plenty of good places that are 1-2 years old in the earlier stages of these areas which may be a better option then to buy land and build.

pinkboy

Southside, Ooralea and Marian.

Northside, Rural View and some of the new estates in the Northern Beaches areas. Problem is there is a fair amount of activity in the NB and a lot of land is due to come online soon. I believe it will get snapped up though!

As for land content, you will want 800m2 if you can get it. MRC minimum lot is 400m2 for a split block (they are approving 320m2 in small doses in some estates).

Plenty of good places that are 1-2 years old in the earlier stages of these areas which may be a better option then to buy land and build.

pinkboy

Thanks for the advice. After my trip to Mackay, I have decided on Ooralea, although I'm now struggling with the price. There are a number of house and land packages (4 x 2 options) between $465k and $520k. Main reason for selecting Ooralea was when I left there at around 5pm to travel to the Eimeo pub (as recommended by Dubstep), the traffic was a nightmare.

Hi Temps,

When on the north side, check out the Eimeo hotel for lunch or a quick beer.

it's a good spot, you might also get to see some whales playing out in the ocean !

Thanks for the tip Dubstep. There was just one problem. I didn't stop for a quick beer, I ended up having a long session after spreaking to a few locals, who kindley took me back to my hotel when we had finsished.

Not sure I would be buying in Mackay, it really depends what happens with the Coal Industry and that is shakey at the moment.

I think for the money you want to spend, I would be looking at Darwin or somewhere else.

Even Cairns, where you could just about buy two properties. Think Cairns must be at the bottom now.

Hey Everyone..

Happydays did you end purchasing in Mackay? If so which side. I ahve signed contracts for Waters @ Ooralea

I put a deposit on a block of land in Rural View.
The bank then under valued the block 19K. I got cold feet and pulled out. I was a little worried about over supply in the area aswell.

I think my 2 biggest problems are lacking full confidence in my own decisions and being extremely time poor. As of about December last year I've been promoted and changed from an 8/6 roster to a 21/7 leaving little time for my self.

Happydays did you end purchasing in Mackay? If so which side. I ahve signed contracts for Waters @ Ooralea

I know how you feel. I have been thinking about this for 10 years and a lot of tax in between. In the end, I trusted a property broker. The bank did a valuation and it came in $4000 higher, so I felt more comfortable.

Hi

I'm looking to sell a property in Mackay, brand new townhouse at 19 Stevenson St, South Mackay. Could someone please suggest a good real estate company and person that you've dealt with for handling the sale. And what sort of a percentage selling fees do you pay in QLD?

thanks
Stephen

Hi

I'm looking to sell a property in Mackay, brand new townhouse at 19 Stevenson St, South Mackay. Could someone please suggest a good real estate company and person that you've dealt with for handling the sale. And what sort of a percentage selling fees do you pay in QLD?

thanks
Stephen

Sherie Screen, LJ Hooker Mackay.

Ben Chick, Harcourts Mackay.

pinkboy.

Hi

thanks
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Can I ask why you are selling so soon in Mackay?

Back